Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 368 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #63885 12/13/09 06:37 AM
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Has anyone had this? I think our public school does something like this but we are in private. Where do you have this done? Was it a good experience? Did it validate needs?

D
    D
    The Iowa Acceleration is really a review of whether or not acceleration is a good option for your child. It is not a test. There is a book that you purchase and then forms where you tally all the information. You must have testing already done for your child in order to use the form. One section of the testing takes into account IQ scores, achievement scores, it looks at social concerns, other siblings, size of child, sports, outside interests, emotional, behavior. I believe there were 6 categories. Based on the information it gives a score of excellent, good marginal or not recommended for grade acceleration. It is filled out in conjuntion with parents, school and test scores.

I don't think it would convince the school if they weren't somewhat on board already, but it did help us look at the big picture more. Fortunately for us the school did let us go ahead with the acceleration. The school kept my manual so maybe they plan on having it for future recommendations. grin

Last edited by DorothyS; 12/13/09 07:03 AM.
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Last year, I took the school pschologist questionaires: Conner's rating scales and assessment of adaptive skills (Vineland Interview) They felt a bit uncomfortable because it was like telling the school some bad things. I was not sure what they would do with that info.

One good thing was the psychologist said his AHDA type behavior was probally due to lack of challenge. Yet they act like they are meeting and understand his needs now when he is underchallenged.

I wonder could my husband and I fill out the IOWA acceleration question so we could better understand his needs without the school involved? Would this be a good idea?

C
    C
    My husband and I did go to through the Iowa manual without the school first. We wanted to make sure we were going to be arguing for something that actually was in his best interest. But we didn't have any intention of telling the school that we'd already done it.

We borrowed the manual from interlibrary loan and it took about 4 weeks. I have since bought one on Amazon.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    was it very informative for you? In what ways? Hope I'm not being too personal.

could you give me the title? It seem like I need to look into this.

Last edited by onthegomom; 12/13/09 09:33 AM.

C
    C
    I wouldn't say it was informative, we already strongly believed he'd be a good candidate for acceleration. It did bring up some points that we thought the school would see differently and provided us a tool for discussing those. There are some things- like the section that talks about motivation- that actually gave him more "points" than I would have thought. He's not an eager child who begs for more work. But he happily does whatever is presented and that scored him one less than the max points. I was pleasantly surprised to see this.

It turned out to be unnecessary for us. We had scheduled a big meeting with the teacher, the principal, the district psychologist etc. In the meeting, his teacher actually (unknown in advance to us) began advocating heavily for a mid-year skip. We sat there a bit dumbfounded, with a large pile of research unused, and listened to everyone agree with her. We just kind of smiled, nodded and started trying to hammer out the details of the when and who.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years