Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Eagle Mum), 91 guests, and 59 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #63847 12/12/09 04:17 PM
    OP Offline
    DD was picked for her Science Olympiad team. Can someone tell me about the competitions and what it's all about? We got a handout from school that explained a little bit, but I am unsure how it all works. So far she is in a study group for her events.

Jen

O
    O
    Congrats! sorry I can't help. Is there an website listed on the info the school gave. Keep us posted. What grade is DD in?

OP Offline
    There is a website with general information by the Science Olympiad, but it is all very overwhelming for a newbie. DD is officially a 6th grader, but takes 7th and 8th grade classes also depending on subject. DD was excited to be on fossils team since she has been collecting fossils for years.

Jen

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Science Olympiad competition has 23 science events that a team of 15 students prepares for either in middle school (Division B) or high school (Division C). Division B can have 6th, 7th, 8th, and up to five 9th grade team members. The events are either building/engineering (Bridges, planes, wheeled vehicles, e.g.) study events (anatomy, fossils, ornithology, dynamic planet), demonstration/lab type events (forensics, wind turbines, food science) and probably another kind that I'm forgetting. It is such an amazing competition!!! Since there are only 15 members on a team and each event requires 2-4 members, each kid gets to prepare for 3-5 events, then compete in regionals, state and possibly national competition levels.

I have found that a great coach makes all the difference. Even then, several assistant coaches are needed and parent involvement is key. Parents can help supervise practices (to keep them focussed), bring snacks, help coordinate the team tshirts, and about 20 other ways.

cym #63987 12/14/09 02:39 PM
    C
    cym Offline
    C

cym #69616 02/24/10 06:08 AM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Our team took 3rd in State Science Olympiad! What a fantastic competition.

cym #70036 02/28/10 07:23 AM
    OP Offline
    We had a regional competition last weekend. DDs school did not do well at all, which was ok with me, but I felt they never really knew what they were supposed to do. Their main advisor was ordered for bedrest a month ago, and the other teacher just let the kids study independently the entire time. These poor kids were lost although DD enjoyed the atmosphere and spending time with friends. Now this teacher is hinting that they may not even have a team next year. I wish they would have asked for parent help as I know many would have volunteered. This was our first year and DD is not sure if she even wants to do it next year. She did make some great friends with older GT kids in her school.

O
    O
    How about finding someone else to do this with you and go volunteer?

OP Offline
    I certainly wouldn't mind helping, but the team needs a teacher (really 2) from school to lead the group. The science teacher who has really been the most involved may not come back next year when her baby is born and from what I gathered the other science teachers are involved with other after school programs. I hope they keep the club running since there needs to be a balance to athletics in the school.

Jen

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Hi Jen,

We have found that Science Olympiad requires enormous commitment and dedication--we have had a different coach for each of the last 5 years that I've been involved. One time it wasn't even a Science teacher, but she brought in volunteers from the community (businesses or govt agencies) to help coach different events. We are the only public school in my town that participates--others used to, but found it too much work or too expensive. I think it's such a great competition and students learn so much, that I'd encourage anyone to "save" it from being dropped.

What can parents do--sounds like you might volunteer to be the coach or find a good one. We had parents solicit sponsorships (materials/supplies, bus money to the regional & state competition, hotels, tshirts, dinner the night of the competitions, etc.) from local businesses. We coordinated getting team Tshirts, brought snacks to practices and competitions, helped re-direct kids during practices when they were getting distracted, found community assistant coaches (e.g. a bird expert who was happy to help with ornithology, a retired geologist who helped with Road Scholar and Fossils), put together equipment bags for each event before the competitions, etc. I think one of the most important ways to help is to organize the kids--give them things to focus on each practice with specific goals. Instead of "Go Study for Shock Value", I'd look up the interactive website on the computer where they can experiment with different circuits and say "Work on this".

My advice: Do what you can to save this great offering. Don't let them drop it.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...