Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 38 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    Mommyj2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi everyone,
    I'm very new to all of this. I've been looking at the posts for about 2 months now and finally registered. We just got our DS8 Wisc-iv and Wiat-II scores last week and I'm trying to figure out what to do and where to go. Our psychologist recommended DYS, but I'm not sure if I need to submit portfolio pieces along with the scores in order for him to be considered. He plays chess and piano as well.

VCI 152
    PRI 133
    WMI 155
    GAI 153

Wiat-II
    Reading 148
    Mathematics 147
    Written Lang. 160

You all are so knowledgeable, I'd appreciate any feedback.
    Thanks!

Hi Mommyj2 -
    As far as I can read the tables, you can apply without the portfolio. Start writing! and Welcome!

How are things going?
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    Mommyj2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks! I'm still trying to figure out the lingo and scores. We are a little but overwhelmed. I have calls and emails in to the elementary school, but no one is calling back. I just want to figure my child out and get him the best possible. The psych suggested DYS for the advocacy assistance as well as a grade skip to bring him closer to his ability level to. I really like the DYS program and want to make sure we give him the best chances of being accepted.

Thanks again for the welcome!

M
    M
    Welcome! It is an amazing ride.

Are you in a state with gifted laws? What grade level is he currently? How is he doing with school?

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    M
    Mommyj2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    We are in Georgia. Luckily GA has full funding and a great policy, including acceleration, mentorship, and enrichment. Unfortunately, when DS was tested in 1st grade he did not qualify for the GT program. It has been a real struggle the last two years, this year being the worst. He reads all day, cries if we forget his book, and his teacher has told us that he is "nothing exceptional".

That's why we decided to get private testing. Now we have all these scores and we're trying to get somebody to look at them to help us!

Frustrated in GA.

J
    J
    May I ask what county you are in? I'm in GA as well, and my DS was just accelerated, but he is younger than yours. The reason I ask about the county is because I may have a resource for you.

M
    Mommyj2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    We are in Gwinnett. DS is in 3rd right now. I'll take all the help I can get!
    Thanks,

Originally Posted by Mommyj2
    I have calls and emails in to the elementary school, but no one is calling back. I just want to figure my child out and get him the best possible. The psych suggested DYS for the advocacy assistance as well as a grade skip to bring him closer to his ability level to.

Step one:
    Write a letter. Send it to the school (certified.) Something like:

I have called on 'date' 'date' and 'date' and sent emails on 'date,' 'date' and 'date' but haven't recieved any response, so now I am writing to formally request a gradeskip for my child as reccomended by my psy, Dr. XXXX on 'date.' I expect to hear back from you by 'date' or I will be contacting (school board/district supervisor/who ever is next in line/my lawyer.)

Best Wishes - there is something about a certified letter that really gets their attention.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Hi and welcome!

His scores are so solid I would not send in portfolio items. Good luck with the application. It also seemed daunting to us, some of those questions seemed to be. Once we started taking notes, it was not that hard.

M
    Mommyj2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    I received a call from the principal last night. We have a meeting set up for Monday with a team of people. They just received his CoGAT and ITBS scores yesterday! We will be discussing several options, including acceleration. I felt as if I were educating the educator when I was explaining DS's needs and abilities. It was a positive conversation, not much resistance, so I am hopeful.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM