Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 285 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Katelyn'sM om #62990 12/03/09 09:44 PM
    Breakaway4, I am encouraged to hear about the mellowing! I hope that is on the way for my DS5!

Mother of DD7, DS5, and DS2
    lightheart1 #63024 12/04/09 08:29 AM
    V
    V
    Mine this morning was wanting me to step on some tall weeds in the driveway that were in front of his car door. I'm talking an 8 year old who won't step on a 7 in weed. i have to admit I gave him the get over it and get in the car, for which I received the popular I hate you. We will both survive, but me with a few more grays than I started with, Alittle long island ice tea cut into regular tea goes well with the relaxing.

JenSMP #63031 12/04/09 09:07 AM
    Originally Posted by JenSMP
    My ds6 is bawling his head off because his favorite dancer was voted off So You Think You Can Dance last night.

And, "the worse thing that could ever happened" occured today when he lost the remote.

I seriously can't take it anymore. crazy

Dh will be home soon to relieve me. I told him I'm not coming home until ds is asleep. I feel like the worst mom saying that, but it's the truth. I just don't even want to be aroud him right now. Do you ever feel this way?

Jen you aren't a bad mother. I think you should always schedule a break from homeschooling/parenting when DH gets home. Do you have a friend that you can take a walk with around that time every weeknight?

I would also suggest that you journal about the strong feelings that come up in you when you hear you child crying/whining/speaking dramatically. Just because he is going to act how he is going to act, doesn't mean that it has to push your buttons and wear you out so! Of course you are worried that he will grow up and act this way, and the changes maturity brings are so slow to be all but unnoticible! But they will happen, just as he has left behind so many baby behaviors such as crawling, needing a diaper, and mouthing. Really!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    onthegomom #63055 12/04/09 10:39 AM
    O
    O
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    I seriously can't take it anymore. crazy

Dh will be home soon to relieve me. I told him I'm not coming home until ds is asleep. I feel like the worst mom saying that, but it's the truth. I just don't even want to be aroud him right now. Do you ever feel this way?

I left my husband in charge tonight too due to a "I can't take it anymore feeling". He didn't even ask why. he knows to just let me go. Is it a full moon tonight?

Don't feel to bad. A good Mom has her limits and you can give more to your family when you take the breaks you need.
    I was totally kidding about the full moon last night but when I got up this morning the moon was very close to full. I explained to my kids this morning about the full moon as it was use on the post. That was an interesting conversation with a 6 &9 yr. old

tofu #63222 12/06/09 06:44 PM
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by tofu
    Ohh wow, yes, I can relate to this. My son breaks down a lot, sometimes its over nothing and then other times its over something really deep.

The other day I looked over at him and I could see tears welling up, so I asked him what was wrong and he burst into tears saying "I don't want you to die". I said "I'm not going to die, yet" and he said "but you will eventually" (I'm getting teary just thinking about it). Then on the other hand, this morning he was crying because his teddy dropped on the floor outside and may have gotten dirty. Sometimes I feel like saying "are you kidding me?".

I tiptoe around him more than I should, but I know that little things can set him off and his feelings get hurt really easily. He can be emotionally draining, in fact all my kids can, sometimes I need a break. I totally get where you are coming from.

My son is very concerned and even preoccupied at times with death. He says these same kinds of things to me too just out of the blue. He was saying bedtime prayers the other day, and he asked God to let he and his mommy die on the same day so we would never have to live without each other. Of course he followed it with "I guess that means I wouldn't live very long, so that's no good either." Haha. It is heartbreaking though b/c I'm not sure all kids think about those kinds of things. Maybe they do, but I sure never expected it from my little one. He's been saying things like that since he was at least 3 years old.

I know all about tiptoeing! It's exhausting!

Last edited by JenSMP; 12/06/09 06:44 PM.
    JenSMP #63224 12/06/09 06:55 PM
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks everyone! I'm glad I'm not the lone ranger! We've had a great weekend, and I know the key is keeping ds busy. I just wish I had the energy he has. He's tireless, and 5 minutes of downtime is like torture for him. The three of us (dh, ds6, and I) had a good mix of alone time, family time, and one-on-one time this weekend. It was great, and I was even running a fever all day yesterday. It was worth it to have time to myself!

Tomorrow we are starting out our day with a trip to the good mall to see the real Santa. We always have better days when we start out with an outing. Another parent on this site recommended that, and it works so well. I'm just not a morning person, and I like to take my time getting busy. Doesn't fly around here. Coffee and a book or email time with a screaming kid in the background vs. coffee on the go with a happy child. At least for tomorrow, I'm opting for happy child! Crying and screaming are sending me over the edge. Maybe I'll start out with an outing but spice up my coffee with some happy creamer. I think they call that Bailey's. ; )

Thanks for the support. You guys are awesome!

JenSMP #63233 12/06/09 07:31 PM
    Is there a way for both of you to get what you need? Find a play area so your son can run around while you sit with coffee and a book and watch him?

Around here, we call that McDonald's, and it works for us!

Have a nice day! smile

Kriston
    Kriston #63249 12/06/09 08:56 PM
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks Kriston. LOL The only problem with that is that during the day he's the only kid there, and for him, that's just no fun. We went to the park the other day so he could release some energy, and he moped the whole time because there weren't other children to play with. Thanks for the suggestion though! Pretty soon, the other kids will be out of school for the holidays, and it'll be smooth sailing.

Katelyn'sM om #63296 12/07/09 11:54 AM
    C
    C
    Ah yes, the draaaammmaaa of life. My 4 y/o DS burst into tears this morning because his father had looked out the window and declared that the first snow of the season had arrived. DS clapped his hands over his ears and said "No! No! No! I don't want to hear this!" When we pushed him to explain why he was so upset he told us that winter doesn't start until 12/21 so there can't be snow! And to think we though getting him a calendar for his room was a good idea.

JenSMP #63317 12/07/09 02:02 PM
    Thanks Kriston. LOL The only problem with that is that during the day he's the only kid there, and for him, that's just no fun.

Oh, that's too bad. There are always a few kids at ours pretty much any time of the day or night. They may be preschoolers and rather disappointing as playmates, but there's someone there.

I'm sorry you don't have the same luck. frown

Kriston
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM