Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 315 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #63127 12/04/09 10:18 PM
    OP Offline
    Below is a site where you can make a personal video from Santa to your child/grandchild. Very cute. I made one for my 3 yr old and will play it for her tomorrow.

portablenorthpole.tv

R
    rdrsquared guy
    Unregistered
    rdrsquared guy
    Unregistered
    R
    great find, my son is going to love this. thanks

#63133 12/05/09 12:38 AM
    Thanks for the link...very cute

JewelsJC #63139 12/05/09 08:10 AM
    W
    W
    Thanks! I played it for DS this morning. It was fun.

B
    B
    Thanks, I was looking for this the other day and couldn't find it.
    They did a really good job on it this year. Santa said my son's name perfectly and it is an unusual name. My son loved it!

Last edited by BigBadWool; 12/05/09 08:53 AM.
    BigBadWool #63149 12/05/09 10:50 AM
    J
    J
    Thank you!!! This might have made my non believer a little more of a believer smile

Jamie B #63157 12/05/09 01:00 PM
    OP Offline
    I was wondering if Santa actually says the name of the child. There was a list of names but of course my DDs name was not one of them. I could have selected another version of her name but she can read her own name and am guaranteed she would scream foul!

It was precious to watch her as she watched the video. Big saucer eyes and whispering Santa Claus. I selected the part of how Santa knows if you have been naughty or nice since we have been using that method for her stubborn states. They couldn't have done a better job on that one! So today when she was trying to be stubborn, all I had to say is 'I hope Santa's elves aren't watching.' Haha ... she quickly changed her tune.

P
    P
    Katelyn's mom are you at all concerned that your daughter may resent the effort put into trying to trick her to behave? I understand this is a common cultural practice but personally I would advise caution. I know as a gifted kid I felt betrayed when I found out Santa was a lie being used to manipulate my behavior (and that was long before there were tricky videos to reinforce the point). YMMV and all that - just thought it was worth mentioning.

OP Offline
    Not at all. I personally think our culture has gone to the extreme with attachment parenting. And then is baffled why their DC doesn't know how to play on their own and is always attached to their parents or frustrated that they, the parents, don't have any private time to themselves.

I have no problem with 'trickery' as you put it. If it makes her stop and rethink her actions than great. My parents did the same with us as kids and though I figured out Santa and the Easter Bunny way before the normal age; I certainly did not resent the attempts of using it to keep my behavior in check.

P
    P
    I'm not sure what it has to do with kids learning to play on their own?

It is interesting how different kids react to this sort of thing. One common characteristic of gifted kids is having a stronger sense of justice. For some kids that can play out in feeling insulted or disrespected when they are lied to. Another possibility is in feeling like adults are kind of pathetic that they have to resort to lying to get behavioral compliance. I remember feeling as a kid like the adults who had to try the hardest with the threats were the ones who were most pathetic and powerless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM