Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #62942 12/03/09 04:40 PM
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    My son does not have to study in school yet. The first day he brings home the work he knows it. He just reviews it the day before the test and he is all As. He does not have a photgraphic memory, just a good memory.

They have made some adjustments at school but don't seem to agree to do what I think he needs. The school tried to minimize his boredom, by saying oh lots of kids say that and gifted kids just don't need to study. Well my kid loves to learn so I don't agree.

I want to help him learn to study something that is challenging. How can I do this? I think it will need to be fun or interesting. He is in 3rd Grade. From what I hear from a few parents most of 3rd graders are overwhelmed with all the spelling, science and social studies tests.

He excell in math. He has lots of interests including nature, animals, science and sports.

What is your son interested in? This would be my first thought. And your topic says something to study...what do you mean by study? I would phrase it as something to learn... This may just be me but studying never sounds like fun although I do love to read, learn, do...when learning something new.

What does your son like to do with his free time?

B
    B
    Let him browse around the non fiction section at the library until something strikes his fancy. It can be a good place to start and usually you can keep branching out from there flowing from one thing to another. I don't do this with my child yet he is only 4 but, I tend to do this myself and I rarely have times where I am not obsessively studying over something.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    DS in 3rd Grade is already loves to learn and is ambitious with computer programming, home projects and reading. He did Chess and robotics class last summer. So far he has not been afraid to try stuff. Last summer we took a one day fly fishing class. We only did this just to try something new and it was free. The teacher was very serious and it was all adults and he was just fine.

When I say study, I mean you keep reviewing information until you get it. So that could mean being quized, rereading, copying information, ect. The other 3rd graders are putting lots of effort into remembering all the spelling words, science and social study information. I'm concerned he is not getting the challenge experience with studying. I've talked to school on meeting his needs but that is another story.

Last edited by onthegomom; 12/03/09 05:30 PM.
    Okay, so you are wanting him to experience not knowing something and having to put in the work to learn it. This may still never look like it does for some kids.
    What kind of computer programming is he doing? My DS8 loves the computer and I am trying to get him a tutor for C+ programming which I think will be a real challenge for him.
    It sounds like you do a lot of really great things with him.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    He is doing SCAT. He is just playing in it with no directions. (I wonder if there is a guide book.) He made a simple animation. He made a dot character and it slid over to hit a box and made a word bubble appear that said happy birthday. I loved that.

He knows how to work hard to learn something. But I think studying for a test is different. right? Do you think he doesn't need this experience if he is challenged and ambitious in other ways?

We have a marble run type toy with flexible tube marble runs on. I said I just can't do it. Well, he went back to it another day and figured it out. It was for 8 yr old but it was very tricky.

D
    D
    I had the same thoughts last year with my DD7. She just knew everything they were teaching in her school class and never had to apply herself. The teacher actually just let her do whatever she wanted, computer time, reading, etc. when she was giving the lesson to the class. We were afraid she was not "learning how to learn" like the rest of the kids. She never had to sit in a seat and have a lesson with the teacher and practice it and then do the actually work. We advocated hard for a grade acceleration which she was granted this year. This year for 3rd it also is a full-time gifted/high achiever blend class so they actually work a grade up in language arts and have an accelerated math program. I can't say she really still needs to study or anything as much as the other kids, but it is far better than where she would have been at without the grade acceleration.

I would guess what you are looking for is something where he can participate in an actually learning session or class of some sorts. Are there community classes he could take? Our comunity offers different computer courses, languages, etc. even for kids of this age.

Originally Posted by onthegomom
    When I say study, I mean you keep reviewing information until you get it. So that could mean being quized, rereading, copying information, ect. The other 3rd graders are putting lots of effort into remembering all the spelling words, science and social study information. I'm concerned he is not getting the challenge experience with studying. I've talked to school on meeting his needs but that is another story.

You might consider a 2nd language, so kids love Latin.
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    H
    H
    Hi Dorothy,

I'm new here, so please bear w/ me smile The way you described your DD7's experience is exactly what we are experiencing w/ DD in 1st grade. Her teacher let's her pretty much do whatever she wants, and gives her "special projects" where she gets to research a topic of her choice. Luckily she is well-behaved and self-motivated, but clearly this is no way to go through school! Ha! I actually found out tonight that her teacher is having her correct the other students' work!

So this is my question for you: Other than boredom in math and spelling (which has to be done as a whole class) DD is really happy at school--she loves all the independence, loves her teachers and friends, etc. I think she needs a full grade acceleration for next year, but I am hesitating discussing it w/ the school b/c she is content. How did you decide to push for the skip? What was the decision process you went through, and how did you present your request to the school?

Thanks!
    hhugh

N
    N
    I actually found out tonight that her teacher is having her correct the other students' work!

That's what my first-grade teacher did with me! In retrospect, I keep wondering why I was never accelerated, but it just never came up. Two of my brothers were extremely bright and years ahead of me, so I was only what was expected in my house. Mom just made sure we learned in spite of school, and fought the school in many other matters. My brothers came out fine, but I have to say I ended up lazy. I hope I can avoid that with DS7.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM