Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #62892 12/03/09 01:11 PM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Okay, let me preference this with I have no idea what is normal for two year olds really behaviorally and my expectations may just be to high, i don't know.

Is it possible for DD 2.8 to be exhibiting signs of ADD or ADHD or is this gifted overexitabilities or just normal. I know some of it is normal, but it is absolutly impossible for DD to be still at all or quite. I mean at all.

Take for exaple...right now she is totally engrossed in a jigaw puzzle, however she is singing a random made up song and standing up and moving and wiggling all over the place. She does this with anything she does. I have yet to find an activity where she does not move or is quite. She can be very very engrossed in somthing but she is still so fidgety.

It drives me nuts. Even when she is sitting still her fingers wil be wigging.

She also has always been an awful sleeper and needs very little sleep. I sed to not be able to get her down till midnight everynight....once she dropped her nap 5 months ago she now goes to bed at 9:30, but this means she is up from 7:30am-9:30pm going non stop, no break, and it is still hard for her to stay still enough and stop fidgiting to go to sleep.

Now I know most 2 year olds have a short attention span, and actually DD seems to have a longer then average attention span, it's just the movemen and the fidgeting that really seems more then average. Things that old her attention, mazes, puzles, building with blocks, etc she will stay at for at least 20-30 mins....but during this time she is in constant motion and constant talking.

IS this normal? If it is.....fine....good, if not is this omething I should have evaluated. I have had other people comment on it...my mom especially has asked me if I think DD is ADHD...and she is around kids DD age and older in her work. I just don't know if this is something I should bring up to the ped and maybe have her evaluated for.

Thoughts Please.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    amazedmom #62895 12/03/09 01:20 PM
    J
    J
    She's only two so I really wouldn't even start thinking about ADD right now. It's probably partly her age, partly her personality and partly her giftedness. My DS was a lot the same at that age.

My DS is 5 and I was pushed by his teachers to have him evaluated for it. I still think that he's too young to really know if he has it or to even consider it. I realize that some kids have it so bad that it affects every part of their lives but that's not the case here. He does do his best learning when he's standing up at the table dancing though smile

Jamie B #62904 12/03/09 01:44 PM
    It's not the amount of wiggling that defines ADD/ADHD as I understand it. (And I'm no expert!) It's whether the attention issues are a problem for the child.

It doesn't sound like they are.

A well-known psychlogist and GT/2E expert succinctly summed it up this way at a talk I once attended: an ADHD kid wants to sit still but can't. A GT or kinesthetic-learner kid likes how it feels to move.

Obviously these down-and-dirty thoughts are NOT intended as a diagnosis, but IMHO, your DD sounds like she's 2, probably an extrovert and a kinesthetic learner, and nothing more troubling.

Worth about what you paid for it... wink

Kriston
    amazedmom #62905 12/03/09 01:46 PM
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by amazedmom
    She also has always been an awful sleeper and needs very little sleep. I sed to not be able to get her down till midnight everynight....once she dropped her nap 5 months ago she now goes to bed at 9:30, but this means she is up from 7:30am-9:30pm going non stop, no break, and it is still hard for her to stay still enough and stop fidgiting to go to sleep.

Mine dropped naps at about 27 months and gets up between 6:30 and 6:45am no matter what time she goes to bed! Normally we put her to bed at 8:30pm but sometimes she'll want to work in her workbooks until 9pm-ish.

She doesn't sit still...hardly either and goes all day long! Add a one year old who is just as active into the mix (she does take two short naps during the day) and I am one tired mama!

So you are not alone!

ETA: I do put her in front of the TV to "settle down" and she does when I need her to. She likes Wow Wow Wubbzy and that seems to work! LOL

Last edited by MamaJA; 12/03/09 01:49 PM.
    amazedmom #62906 12/03/09 01:59 PM
    M
    M
    Hi, Amanda,

I think your kid is very normal.
    Try to keep her busy.
    My son just slept more when he turned 4.

My son sleeps almost as little as your kid.

Kids speak to themselves while playing games. It is not a surprise. It is normal.

I wonder what you will do is what I seek to do. Try to enrich the activities or join or prepare more activities.

Good luck!

motherbear #62910 12/03/09 02:16 PM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Thank you all! It is nice to know I am not alone. Today I had a migraine and the non stop moving was even more grating LOL.

Kriston- What you said "an ADHD kid wants to sit still but can't. A GT or kinesthetic-learner kid likes how it feels to move."OMG, this totally connected with me....and is definitly her.

She definitly is a mover, and her brain is always going. She has a hard time turning it off so to speak. It is hard because of we do not have constant activities that stimulate her mind she is bored. It ispretty tiring to me because se seems to need me engaged in it all with her constantly which wears my brain out LOL. Most of my friends kids will play, but DD's type of play is totally different....she's not that into doll houses, her play kitchen, or anything like that. She want to instead be doing pules, maze, building incredibly detailed block cities, and having me sit with her and answer questions while she looks at her globe...plus she has been asking me to teach her to read and we have been doing that. I need more activities! LOL

Thanks again

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    amazedmom #62915 12/03/09 03:10 PM
    Yes, it definitely sounds to me as if she thinks better while moving and talking, not that the moving and talking interfere with her ability to think or to concentrate. Two very different things.

This is one of my problems with the heavy focus on ADD/ADHD these days. ADD/ADHD is a real thing, and kids and adults who are frustrated by their own bodies and brains need help, certainly. It's good that they can get it. But then again, not every squirmy, chatty kid is ADD/ADHD--especially at 2yo!

The diagnosis is supposed to help the *child* in question, NOT to make easier the lives of the adults who care for the child. If the child is perfectly content and able to focus and learns without problem, then the child doesn't need a diagnosis, no matter how tired the parent/grandparent/sitter/teacher is at the end of the day.

All IMHO, of course...

Kriston
    motherbear #62994 12/03/09 11:02 PM
    P
    P
    Oh that is nice to hear that at least some sleep longer later on. My DS2.6 went to bed tonight around 10 pm and he'll be up without fail at 6:15, maybe 6:16. He does take a good size mid-day nap though. Tonight he had to make a hour long paper glue-fest of the entire story line of The Little Red Hen, including cutting and threshing the wheat -- which brought on a couple melt-downs because glued down bits of paper don't cut or thresh easily and the plants were falling over (this turned into a 3D thing). He's so intense. Amazedmom I'm with you if you're wishing for maybe just one day now and then of a kid who just sits there sometimes. We joke about exposing DS on purpose to colds because we find that when he has a cold he's just about 10% less.

Polly

Polly #63000 12/03/09 11:46 PM
    W
    W
    Hooray for no napping, horrible sleeping, non-stop moving kiddos!!!

Both of my guys never stop moving and light up EVERY option on Dabrowski's Overexcitabilities chart for the physical section at least. They can also concentrate on what they are interested in for much longer than they are 'supposed to' at their age. The movement thing can also be related to sensory integration issues, but unless she is showing other signs of that I wouldn't worry about it.

amazedmom #63034 12/04/09 09:10 AM
    T
    T
    My DD is like that and I also worried about ADHD but she has settled in a little bit. FISH OIL has helped. Check into it! She is still a highly spirited, chatty, wiggly child, BUT she does seem to have calmed a bit once we started the supplements. Her chatter made my head throb and the movement drove me nuts at times. Fortunately, she has always slept well. We connected in another thread and our DDs seem similar so for us it is normal, her 21 month old sister is the same way, but other kids her age that we know are not as animated, active, and chatty so I don't know what is typical. She is HIGHLY excitable, but at 3.5 she has started to show more containment at times. Like your DD, she has excellent focus and learning, so it is just that some of her settings are stuck on HIGH. She never gets drowsy or quiet all day long so I feel for you. I actually have two like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by TwinkleToes; 12/04/09 09:13 AM.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM