Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 261 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #62622 12/01/09 09:52 AM
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    Untill last month,I didnt know what gifted is!
    And this is how I found out:
    I am a sophomore in college and I moved to America three years ago.I am struggling with school, I cant learn in class. I hate due dates so I fail to check them all the time. I cant concentrate on homework or in class. Usually I am reading a book or daydreaming when teacher talks.I get really frustrated when someone teaches me about something I know already.I spend most of my time at the library,i did so ever since 3rd garde, ever since first time I skipped school.I never had a proper education,I skipped about 70% of school days. I hated my teachers(not all of them),and I never really cared about my school grades.
    But there is always reason why!
    This is how my story begins:
    I was a premature baby (at 7 month)I was the healthiest baby in the hospital that afternoon or morning(12:00). My mom tried to teach me how to walk but no luck.She was really frustrated and she felt a resentment. Her friends had babies the same age, except their children could walk and talk already.On my first birthday she had a discussion with her friends, she assumed that I couldn't walk yet because I was a primeture.she picked me up
    to fix my tights, she set me on my feet expecting me to sit on the floor but
    instead I walked to the kitchen(That must've been cute):) It left my mother and her friends speechless. Ever since them my learning went way beyond of what Doctors told to my mother. At age of 1.5 I spoke clearly, on the level of 5 years old.My mom had to work, so her decision was to put me in
    kindergarten. Of course in my country a child has to be three years of age to be accepted and I was almost 2 years old but they accepted me anyway. Because of the fact that I spoke clearly and ate on my own. I was treated as the oldest one
    in a �group� because of my abilities. I learned how to read and write by myself before first grade. My mom never pushed me to do anything, she also said I used to ask to many questions and sometimes too fast, without even giving people a chance to answer. I was always creative, loved to draw and have taken dance classes ever since 3 years old. In
    kindergarten they had a preschool class, and they insisted that I should go there. It was like a torture that I had to go through. I still remember like it was yesterday. One day I refused to go and it was it. I only had two friends, we used to get in trouble a lot. Like ones: Galena, Max and I left
    kindergarten and went to Galena�s house, the teacher found us at the bus
    station, waiting for the bus. I went to first grade at age of 6 and again I was the youngest there. After two
    years the director decided to create a extra class �G�.
    School Classes was divided as A,B,V. �A� smart �B� less smarter, �V� not smart and �G� you guess. I was assigned in to �G� class because the teachers thought I had trouble learning. They gave us tiny room that had only one window, it was one very depressing room. My Mother decided to sent me to a different school. I was tasted and my result was 100% out of 100%. Questions that was on the test, was nothing I�ve
    learned in class(we didnt get to that yet) but everything I�ve learned on my own. But it didn�t end there, it is where its all began. I didn�t fit in that school, I had no friends
    and I didn�t trust teachers. Kids was making fun of me because I used to dress in pretty dresses to school, and it made me irrelevant. Ones I wrote an essay one page long, 20 minutes was given for it. I made no mistakes and it was the longest one in class. The teacher gave me a half of point for it, the teacher didn�t like my spaces because she thought I could make them smaller. And If kids would still my stuff, kick my book bag (living foot print on it) and brake my stuff, the teacher will always come up with a story of how I could loose it or
    brake it myself. She knew it, but did nothing. That�s when I started to skip school. I used to hang out at the
    library and talk to librarian who was probably the only friend I had. After 6th grade I turned in to a BAD child, causing trouble, stilling, drinking and hanging out with friends that were bad influence . At least I was no longer bullied.
    But I never left the library. I was always an individual learner, Iv learned how too walk(1), to ride a bike (age 5,uncles bike), skiing (age 6), swimming(14), horseback
    riding(15),English(17) and a lot more, all on my own. The teachers was not fair so I�ve never been interested in school but I did a lot of after school activities that I was successful at: Gymnastics, Dance class, Ballet,Choir,Accordion, Poetry club, History club, Korean, Drama Club. I have many awards from Drama club. I won a lot of competitions in Gymnastics and Dancing, My poems was published many times
    and I always had 1st place everywhere. But I still had time left to play �Bad child�.
    I don�t know how I managed to graduate!
    I went to college at age 14 majoring in hotel business,
    got kicked out 4 month later, I couldn�t get along with my adviser, and teachers. But I didn�t want to do hotel business anymore. At age of 17 I moved to America, went back to school, I didn�t know any English. I was taking an ESL
    class, at first I couldn�t understand the teacher at all but few month later, I started to correct him a lot(he wasnt American), he didn�t like it and I was moved in to a
    different class with a teacher who could actually speak English(I got an A in that class, 've learned nothing but Spanish,'cause the teacher didnt teach well at all) . Since its not that easy to skip school in America (its not like I haven�t done that) I actually started to do my homework. My grades where A�s and B�s, in English, Math and D
    in History class (cause it was boring).I was still getting in trouble, for talking back and living class room. But it wasn�t that bad. I knew almost everyone in school but I didn�t really hang out with them. Just with my best friend. Sometimes she gets mad at me because I correct her a lot and because I don�t like people to sit on my bad, pillow or anything I have to keep clean. I don�t know why, but even I don�t sit on my own
    bad, unless I ware clean clothe. I started college in August of 2008, my placement test was low so I was place into low math and English, I had no interest in class because it was to easy, I asked for permission to take a placement test again, next day I was placed into a college level classes. I have no interested in any of my classes, and usually I�m finding myself either day dreaming, reading a book or simply staring at the ceiling in classroom. When I do my homework, I get destructed a lot, once I even read a different chapter because it was interesting. I cant concentrate. I am being destructed by everything, I just learned how to skateboard, play pool, play guitar instead I could have done something more important, like home work.I cant even check if I have it because I hate due dates. Apparently it shouldnt be a problem.Because of all this I went to talk to my adviser who couldn�t help me, I went to academic learning center but not much help from them. So I thought maybe I have ADHD after a long research I found an article about gifted being misunderstood and diagnosed with ADHD and etc.. I personally dont believe in to ADHD.I�ve researched on gifted and also took an IQ tests, my IQ range was 141-170.I still had doubts so I decided to ask someone that knows better.I was told that only gifted could get such high IQ. I never knews, Even though I�ve been told that I am very Intelligent person.
    I have ability to learn very quickly,I have many talent,and people see it. But I can deal with school, so I spend most of my time at the library. I was always on my own ever since 3rd grade, I can just change in one day crazy

What do you think?

Does anyone has a similar story?

Welcome to the United States and Welcome to this board.
    What are your goals for your life?
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    My head was spinning for at least a year after my son brought me into the world of giftedness and I discovered it had the power to explain most of my life up to that point. It sounds like you're experiencing a similar awakening.

You might want to read up on gifted adults. This site is an interesting place to start: http://giftedservices.com.au/adults.html

Good luck!

O
    O
    How about testing out of some of your courses that are too easy? You might talk to a advisor at college about this.

I also think you should research being a gifted adult. You might find some ways to make life more rewarding. When we try to understand ourself or others better then we can relate better.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by onthegomom; 12/02/09 08:38 AM.
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks!Well I have a lot of goals!But right now its all about school!:)would tell you more but im kind of tired right now!

K
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks

Originally Posted by MsFriz
    It sounds like you're experiencing a similar awakening.
    What is his story if its not a secret?!

Kristianna,

Welcome to the board. The best thing you can do right now is read up on gifted and especially adults. If you feel comfortable; talk to your adviser about gifted and tell them your story. They might be able to help you; suggest some teachers that might hold your interest; have you test out of some of the classes that bore you. Granted, I don't know your country and education path you took and yes it sounds more open than our education path here in US but I can say that college is different than regular school. I loved college because I wasn't held to specific classes. I went to a huge university where class choices were amazing. It was the running joke with my adviser and teachers about the amount of classes I took and the variety. Even when I had a conflict with the schedule I still managed to have some classes adjusted so I could take a class that overlapped and if that didn't work I would ask to audit it because for me it wasn't necessarily about credits, just knowledge. My point is that in college there is flexibility which is very important for someone who is gifted.

Also ... have you considered working in the library? I loved working in the library. I learned the in and outs of the system and discovered what most students and teachers were not aware of... at my university the computer catalog was started in the 70s but not all of the books from the 13+ libraries on campus were in the computer. They decided to wait until someone actually checked out a book and then add it into the catalog. Many a wonderful book sat in the stacks undiscovered for years. I found this fascinating and used that information to tackle my research for different classes; coming up with unusual topics. Which, on a few occasions, led the teacher to these undiscovered books where they would absorb my research and use it for publication.

It saddens me to read how disconnected you are with the college and classes. I really hope having discovered the key or term for what you experienced will help you find a path. Just know this community is a caring one and we are here for you.

K
    OP Offline
    K
    Thank you! I have talked to adviser but it was before I found out about my IQ score or anything about gifted.She didnt help me than and I dont know if I want to talk to her again.Im at the community college and we dont have that many choices, but I will try to find out more about testing out.I spend hours in the library but I cant stay in class, I dont know how you managed all of them.

Working in the library?I used to help out in the library at my school before I moved.It was my favorite place but I really dont know if I can, cause I will stop and look through the book every time I see one that interests me.If I'll be able to it, than maybe I can try.I should think about it,but thanks for an Idea.

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    I really recommend the book "Gifted Grownups" by Marylou Strenewski.

O
    O
    Originally Posted by Kristianna
    Thank you! I have talked to adviser but it was before I found out about my IQ score or anything about gifted.She didnt help me than and I dont know if I want to talk to her again.Im at the community college and we dont have that many choices, but I will try to find out more about testing out.

Testing out or credit for life experience was common back when I was in college many years ago. If your advisor is not helpful you could request another one. When I recieved credit for life experience in college the professor granted it. Is there a professor you can approach?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM