Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Hello!

We are moving and switching from public K to public K in another town (not nearby).

I don't know yet what teacher/class assignment he will get. We will get to visit once before all the schools let out for the winter recess, and then DS5.5 will start in January.

Anyone else make this or a similar tranisition?

LOG: not tested. Ruf L2 or 3? He reads very basic readers, but not a fluent reader yet. Knows more than half of the sight words for the end-of-the-year requirements for his current K.

Loves basic math, esp addition. Is starting multiplication. Loves to speculate about infinity.

The new school has no formal programs for GT until 3rd or 4th.

He will definitely miss his old friends, but makes new friends pretty easily. Generally a happy, outgoing kid.

My main concern is that in his current K he is not challenged (except with writing). We do lots of math and extra stuff at home so it has been ok. I have not pushed it/advocated because I knew we were leaving soon. I am hoping it will not be more of the same redundant worksheets and "letter of the week" at the new school

Thanks!

That wasn't one of our challenges, but I'm wondering if it's 'too late' to have him switch into 1st grade? Will they allow you to observe for a few hours before he enters?
    Ovserving the new school's kindy and 1st grade will give you a definite idea of where your child fits in. (And allow you to observe the teaching style - is there a sense of humor and adventure?)

If I recall correctly the little section in the back of Ruf's book matching the accomidation to LOG and School type, then if he's Ruf Level 3, he is likely to severely need a gradeskip, unless the new school is a very affluent area. I can't remember exactly what the word was about Ruf Level 2s but my guess is that a skip would be good, but perhaps not essential, again depending on the level of the school system.

If you make a formal request for IQ and Achievement testing, will the new school do it? Can you bring a small sample of his work in his own handwriting for the new school to look at? (Some math, a baby book report, the sight words he can read copied by him, a little story about one of his science or history interests - or explaining what infinity is in his own words

Good Luck
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Grinity -

Thanks for the reply!

I love your optimism and gusto.

I just re-read Ruf's levels from the 2004 write-up she did. http://www.educationaloptions.com/resources/resources_levels_giftedness.php

I think my ds is a solid level 2 overall, but maybe at LOG3 where math is concerned? (Many understood some multiplication, division and some fractions to 5�.)

His writing is at age-level though. I don't think he would be a good grade skip candidate . he's not working multiple years above his age level. more like 6-12 months.

Could he handle mid year 1st work? possibly. but I don't think there is much I could show the new school that would have them think , "this kid needs a grade skip!"

Also, schools in this state are so focused on writing and worksheets. I worry that 1st would have even more seat time than K.

you have given me some great ideas for next year though. If we make it to next year with the trad. public schools. I am going to look into charters with specialized curriculum for 2010-2011.

Acording to Ruf even LOG1, and LOG2 will start disliking regular school by 1st and 2nd grade.
    level 2: Many showed impatience with repetition and slow pace at school by age 6-7. level 1: Many showing impatience with repetition and slow pace at school by age seven or eight.

so for now, I am going to ask what the K teachers at the new school do for in class differentiation.

Last edited by EastnWest; 12/05/09 01:36 AM. Reason: added
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    update :
    I checked the new school's website and one of the K teachers posted what they are working on this week (highlights):

- currently learning new high frequency words �a� and �to�.
    - starting to blend words (b-at = bat) and recognize words by thinking about the beginning sound.
    - beginning math unit on number sense. - will be recognizing, counting, and writing 1-5.

OMG!!!!

Now I am freaking out. these are not vague grade-level benchmarks from our state. These are actual subjects the class is working on.

Two nights ago, I happened to hand my son a copy of the end of year sight words his current K teacher gave me. He knew 30 of the words right away, 3 he hesitated on for a few seconds and 2 he needed help with. Looks like I might be advocating for a 1st grade placement afterall. I am going to bring the sight word info and whatever else I can find to the attention of the new school. Unfortunately the winter break is coming up and I probably won't be able to talk with his new teacher until classes resume in Jan 4. ARRGHH!

I hope unpacking will be destracting enough for me to wait it out.

Last edited by EastnWest; 12/10/09 05:12 PM. Reason: typo
    J
    J
    Good luck EastnWest!! My DSs Kindergarten class isn't even doing this yet frown We went through the site words for the year and he knew them all befoe he started K. I am sometimes floored at how slow they seem to go but I guess they go at the average pace of the kids.

When does he start the new school?

E
    OP Offline
    E
    JamieB -

He starts Jan. 4. We are going to try to enjoy the break in the mean time. (zoos, museums, visits with friends, etc.)

Did your ds ever get to do the 1st grade reading sessions or the math pull-out? Is he still miserable?

EW

Last edited by EastnWest; 12/11/09 02:09 PM. Reason: added stuff
    Originally Posted by EastnWest
    Looks like I might be advocating for a 1st grade placement afterall. I am going to bring the sight word info and whatever else I can find to the attention of the new school.
    Sorry to hear that. ((pat,pat))
    grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM