Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #62685 12/01/09 09:04 PM
    tofu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I hope this is the correct forum.

Is there really any point in trying to submit to DYS with a portfolio? I have read so much that makes me think it might not be a good idea.

I have video of him doing long multiplication and playing Timez Attack at 5, as well as video of him reading very competently at 4, I also have pictures of him doing 21 column, 3 row addition and subtraction and lots of work samples and scores from his Didj and EPGY. (96 - 100%)

But will it be enough? I cant afford to have him IQ tested right now. From everything we have read and judging by his milestones, my husband and I have every reason to believe he is exceptionally gifted (the research opened our eyes to his younger brother too), but we have no test scores, no money (particularly at this time of year) and he has never been to school, so there is no way of doing this through a school. I'm even having trouble finding people to recommend him, since he is only six and has had no outside instruction for anything except baseball and Taekwondo for a while, before that, it was all mommy and me stuff.

From what I have gathered, DYS would be a great way for us to meet other people in similar situations (this site has already been amazing for us!). And get some advice on what to do with him academically, since he is about to begin doing algebra workbooks at 6.

I have started the portfolio and it sits here taunting me; to send or not to send? I just wish I had some test scores or something to go with it. frown

What do you think?

K
    K
    My son was accepted in September on the basis of EXPLORE test scores and a portfolio of above-grade-level work (we also homeschool). Someone suggested once to me that if you live near a local university, you might be able to get testing done by psychology grad students at a greatly reduced costs. Also, if you submit a portfolio and application that piques their interest, as I suspect this would, Davidson would offer some ideas (maybe even aid? though I say that with no actual knowledge) for testing or other missing information. I would go ahead with it -- my feeling is that if they see promise, they'll figure out a way to help you the rest of the way.

Karen DV

O
    O
    I think you should send in what you have. Your examples sound wonderful.

quote=tofu]Is there really any point in trying to submit to DYS with a portfolio? I have read so much that makes me think it might not be a good idea. [/quote]

What makes you think it may be a bad idea? The worst that can happen is they tell you no. I think you can even apply again another year.

Originally Posted by tofu
    has had no outside instruction for anything except baseball and Taekwondo for a while,

What do you think?

Just ask the Taekwondo teacher and baseball coach to write about him. Also - carry forms with you, and the next time someone nosy makes a comment, whip out the forms and ask them to write it down. I am not kidding. (much)A trip to the local museam might be a good.

Does your state gifted association might sponser some kind of children's programs, and you can get reccomendation letters from some of those teachers.

I think a video of those algebra worksheets at age 6 might be good to. Go for it!

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by KarenDV
    Also, if you submit a portfolio and application that piques their interest, as I suspect this would, Davidson would offer some ideas (maybe even aid? though I say that with no actual knowledge) for testing or other missing information.

I'm pretty sure they do not offer aid for testing. Aid is available once kids are accepted into the program, but not beforehand for testing.

I'm also in the "Give it a try" camp. The worst they'll say is no, and then all you're out is time. You're not even out the time if you get your child tested and he hits the scores--the application stands and you just add the scores to it.

What have you got to lose?

Kriston
    S
    S
    Money is tight in our family too. We are saving our pennies for the IQ testing, but do plan to submit a portfolio in place of achievement testing. He's 8 and whizzing through high school algebra, so I'm hoping samples of his work will be an acceptable alternative to achievement testing.

For the IQ testing, I called dozens of places and finally found one that is somewhat in our price range-- $300. This is a woman who runs an after-school tutoring program for kids with learning disabilities. I know this isn't as good as a tester who specializes in gifted kids, but there is no way we can afford that!

This tester is allowing us to put the testing on "lay-away". I've been tightening our food budget the last few months and paying her $50/month. I look forward to actually having him tested!

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    I think it doesn't hurt to get it in, but I would start considering creative/alternative testing options. Maybe you could at least get him assessed by a tutoring company. I think places like Sylvan do a free placement test. It is not standardized, but at least it would be independent.

The school district can still test him even if he's homeschooled. That might be worth looking into. They could also test him on whatever national standardized test they use (ITBS or SAT10).

And he can take the SCAT test at 7 and EXPLORE at 8.

P
    P
    You may want to look to see if EXPLORE testing is offered in your area. It would meet the acheivement testing requirement and it is inexpensive. It is intended for 8th and 9th graders but could be an out of level test for younger students. Davidson has score interpretation for third grade and up listed. http://www.actstudent.org/explore/

tofu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    You guys are all amazing. Thank you for all the wonderful advice and encouragement! I think I will go ahead and submit what I have and look for affordable opportunities to have him tested in the meantime.

Thanks again! smile

Last edited by tofu; 12/02/09 06:19 PM.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM