Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Breakaway4
    The teacher actually used these examples to show me how he was NOT gifted. Not to say these are brilliant answers but they show that he did read the ad and did think about the answers he just hadn't learned the trick yet of knowing the "expected" answer.
    That teacher probably wouldn't appreciate the example Renzulli gave in his book Light Up Your Child's Mind about creative but unexpected answers. When asked what's half of 8, the child replied 3 - if you erase the left side of the number 8, you get a 3! grin

C
    C
    My DS6 says he'd fertilise it. How many different answers can we collect?!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    K
    K
    LOL - my 5 year old said she'd go down, and scrap the whole thing. She wouldn't want to visit a giant anyway. My 9 year old rolled his eyes and said "This is one of those imagination tests, isn't it. How lame." And refused to answer. Your teacher would love my kids too, no doubt. We got the same kind of thing from our 1st grade teacher and our son because he wouldn't jump through her hoops.

M
    M
    Oh to cute, my DS4 decided he'd pray for more sunlight. smile

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    It is so interesting reading the variety of responses - maybe we should start a "beanstalk thread"! smile

[quote=JewelsJC]

BTW - I adore C and H! That and the Far Side.

When I was 13, a universally hated math teacher assigned the classic "enlarge an image using a grid" project. I blew up a Far Side cartoon of a kid telling his teacher "Don't worry, if I'm not smart enough to get a good job, I can always teach!" to poster size. The teacher then of course had to hang it on his wall with the other kids' work. Somehow I didn't get in trouble...I think he was just amazed I had the guts. Ironic, of course, that I ended up a teacher!

Tiz, I think this is already the beanstalk thread. Or the beanstalk-and-Calvin's-snowflake thread. Wonder if we can rename it....

I love the "in your own words" strip too, by the way! "Grug puppawup zink wattoom gazork. Chumble spuzz." CLASSIC!

W
    W
    The teacher actually used these examples to show me how he was NOT gifted. Not to say these are brilliant answers but they show that he did read the ad and did think about the answers he just hadn't learned the trick yet of knowing the "expected" answer.

This just had a room of three adults gaping like fish at the stupidity of the teacher. In fact several minutes later my husband is still stunned that the teacher said your son's answers were wrong since they were probably better than what he was 'supposed' to answer. I personally was rolling on the floor at their reactions.

ETA: He was STILL amazed by it and commenting on it around a half an hour later...

Last edited by Wyldkat; 12/02/09 12:36 AM.
    Originally Posted by Wyldkat

This just had a room of three adults gaping like fish at the stupidity of the teacher. In fact several minutes later my husband is still stunned that the teacher said your son's answers were wrong since they were probably better than what he was 'supposed' to answer. I personally was rolling on the floor at their reactions.

ETA: He was STILL amazed by it and commenting on it around a half an hour later...

The teacher said they would be incorrect on the MCAS (state tests) and simply showed his immaturity. Luckily we changed schools soon after. Unfortunately we have another teacher (now 4th grade) who has a similar attitude.

I think we need to set up a foundation to provide financial aid to people for homeschooling. :-)

I asked DS 5.5, he said "I would jump", i said "what if it was too far to jump?" He said "i would grow a new one, or get the sun to shine on it, or water it, or put it on a box(?!?)" DDnearly3 said "i would fly up"

IMO there should be no correct answer.

J
    J
    Just last night DS mentioned "Kafka dreams" because he was mad that I wouldn't hang out and chat with him all night. grin

Calvin and Hobbes is big in our house.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs