Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    B
    bk1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    This is a very interesting summary of research on learning of gifted students:

http://www.nswagtc.org.au/info/articles/RogersResearchSynthesis.html

or via tinyurl at:

http://tinyurl.com/2hcxjr

It answered my question on the rate of learning. I've pasted just a small amount below:

Research on Instructional Delivery: Pacing, Process Modifications

* The learning rate of children above 130 IQ is approximately 8 times faster than for children below 70 IQ
    * Gifted students are significantly more likely to retain science and mathematics content accurately when taught 2-3 times faster than "normal" class pace.
    * Gifted students are significantly more likely to forget or mislearn science and mathematics content when they must drill and review it more than 2-3 times
    * Gifted students are decontextualists in their processing, rather than constructivists; therefore it is difficult to reconstruct "how" they came to an answer.

B
    bk1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks to Hoagies for the link!

Wow Bk1 - you found it! the controversial mislearn through repitition link! I'll dive in later today, but for now, ((thumbs up))
    Grin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Yes, bk1, I posted something about this and was warned off it, though I still maintain that it makes sense to me...Kids daydreaming because they're bored start playing with the numbers and *poof* the material gets mixed up in their heads.

I'd still love to see evidence that this is flawed. I accept that it may be, but I hate to give such useful statistics up without a fight! smile

Kriston

Originally Posted by bk1
    * The learning rate of children above 130 IQ is approximately 8 times faster than for children below 70 IQ
    * Gifted students are significantly more likely to retain science and mathematics content accurately when taught 2-3 times faster than "normal" class pace.
    * Gifted students are significantly more likely to forget or mislearn science and mathematics content when they must drill and review it more than 2-3 times
    * Gifted students are decontextualists in their processing, rather than constructivists; therefore it is difficult to reconstruct "how" they came to an answer

This is really interesting to me. Dd's 2nd grade class has been working on math facts to 20 for what seems like forever now. They do these drills and have to get 20 or 30 number problems correct within a certain time frame to move on to the next level. Initially dd was passing these easily but as time went on the % of ones she was passing declined, almost like she was getting worse. Anyway, when we got home we tried flash cards to help. Very quickly she started to rattle off the answers correctly. No mistakes and certainly quick enough to pass her test.

If I sit down with her and work on math she learns concepts very quickly (especially more advanced math) but when I see her doing math in school it seems that the repetition makes her worse. I really couldn't understand how she wasn't passing these rather simple math tests and yet she could come home and easily understand math concepts way beyond what they're doing in class. I thought I was losing my mind but maybe it makes more sense now?

acs Offline
    I think I remember mislearning things when they got boring. I just tried to make everything a little harder than it needed to be in order to keep my brain engaged. In the process of doing that sometimes it got twisted up. I'll try to think of an example....

K
    K
    You know, that was totally me in elementary math. It was like it was so easy I spent a lot of time making it hard in my head. I did really mediocre in math in elementary school. Not to mention there was just this sub culture of "girls don't do math" at my small catholic school, nor was there was there anything resembling GT prgramming or identification there.

And I went on to get BS degrees in math and comp sci. I loved math once I got to algebra!

B
    bk1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    I'd still love to see evidence that this is flawed. I accept that it may be, but I hate to give such useful statistics up without a fight! smile

Yes-- I have to say I like it because it supports my push for less repetition and test prep. The Ruf summary I link to doesn't give any info on the research backing it.

bk

I know that the connection seems intuitivly appealing, but look at the very way the question is posed. It's so general.

Do I believe a child should be held back from learning algebra because they can't beat the time on a worksheet of simple multiplication fact? NO.

Do I believe a child should continue to drill, after they have demonstrated mastery, because the other children still need drill? No.

Do I believe that the weight of experience shows that many gifted children can learn Math much faster than most people imagined? Yes.

I believe that each child should be taught at their readiness, AND that memory readiness for math facts shouldn't limit math concept readiness for math ideas.

But that isn't the same as saying that controlled studies have been done.

Why do I make a big deal over it?

Because there are times when a child will need lots and lots of drill. Music, Language, Handwriting, and Math Facts should continue to be engaged with at the child's readiness level, even when the child is soaring ahead with the conceptual. I want our children, each of whom is an individual, with individual learning needs to be seen, noticed, and thought about as an individual learner.

An Example:
    My DS loves to learn musical instruments, and it's clear that he progresses much much faster than other kids his age, or really, any age. I even say that 15 minutes of DS practice is equal to 30 minutes of regular practice. But there does come a point where he really really just has to sit down and practice. He sometimes gets in trouble during performances from underpreperation - I've seen it happen.

((shrugs))
    Grinty

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    B
    bk1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Hi Grinity:

I agree with you on all of the above regarding when repetition is necessary.

Thanks for providing the needed sourcing for the assertion re repetition.

I'm sorry I passed on this information, since there doesn't seem to be support for it in the research.

Thanks for taking the time to get this info for us.

bk

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs