Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 188 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    I am wondering if my son, age 5.7, is close to the ceiling of the WPPSI-III (see scores below) and if I should pursue further evaluation. If so, what test(s) would you recommend?

Verbal: 127 (96th percentile)
    Performance: 133 (99th percentile)
    Ful Scale: 130 (98th percentile)

Thanks in advance for your input... I'm glad to be part of this group!

Mother of DD7, DS5, and DS2
    D
    D
    Almost six may be too old for an accurate gifted evaluation using the WPPSI-III.
    It seems kind of equivalent to a grade level test versus an above level test. That 130 achieved by 100 same aged kids, near the highest age eligibility, would probably fan out quite a bit given a higher ceiling.

OP Offline
    What would you recommend as "the next step" in assessing him?

If you want more information, you could retest him on the WISC-IV once he turns six.

OP Offline
    Thank you so much for this information. I did not get a test breakdown, but will request it. No, we have not done any achievement testing yet.

E
    E
    Also go with your gut. Did the child maintain interest throughout testing?

I agree with the 140+ assessment by a previous poster. One of ours had ceilinged 6 subtests. The child didn't meet the stop criteria, but there were no more questions.

If in doubt get an achievement test. The achievement test backed up that the WIPPSI was a gross underestimation.

We did the WISC IV at almost eight years, and got confirmation of what we suspected.

Originally Posted by Dottie
    If he has several scores at the 16/17+ level, then he's getting into the area beyond. Again, these same issues apply to the next test up (WISC-IV at 6+).

Dottie,

Are you saying that several 16/17's may need a closer look on the WISC IV? Just curious. :-)

T
    T
    I hope you don't mind me butting in, but what if a child has one subtest at 18 but the rest are in the 15 / 16 area...

Thanks Dottie, You answered my question wonderfully. We have a bunch of 16's, 17's, a 19 and one wildly random 14 on Comprehension (WISC IV) but I read in a different thread that comprehension questions are more open-ended and if the child was not inclined to elaborate then it can effect this score. I just get the feeling (knowing my son) that by the time they were into the questions in the 16 & 17 range he was already itching to get out of there and go home. All in all it doesn't really matter as a score is a score is a score and in the end it is just another clue on the way to finding out the best learning situation/level for your child.
    Thanks for the answer!

OP Offline
    Okay, I received my son's test breakdown for the WPPSI-III:

Verbal
    IN=16
    VC=12
    WR=15

Performance
    BD=16
    MR=16
    PCn=14

Pr. Spd.
    CD=11

I guess this tells me that I don't need to be in a hurry to get him retested. Do you agree? I suppose I should just follow up with the WISC-IV after he turns six in the spring. Do you think a young six is the best time to do that test, or is there a better age? I appreciate any input/suggestions. Thanks!!

P.S. eamsnova: Yes, my son did maintain interest throughout the test. He was very enthusiastic and seemed to be really enjoying himself. I think he would have continued for another hour if they let him! He has a tremendous ability to focus and also thrives on the one-on-one interaction.

I plan to do an achievement test at the end of 1st grade, right around his 7th birthday, since we homeschool and have to send that in to the school superintendent with our notification for the following year.

P.S. Dottie, I empathize with "crazy busy"! God bless you, and don't forget to sleep once in a while! (:

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM