Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 127 guests, and 50 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #62193 11/23/09 01:31 PM
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Decisions, decisions...tomorrow is the day we sign our life away to the Montessori school and commit to the next 5 months of school for ds. We're actually really excited about that; it's just very expensive.

Then, today I get some more info on another option. Ds6 has been homeschooled since September. We have been supplementing in the afternoons with classes from a small private school. Their website, philosopy, and vision is wonderful, yet at this point they are still new and growing slowly. Ds has been taking theater, music, art, and science classes there 2 afternoons/week. They also include him in field trips, and he helps out with their theater production the full time students are practicing now. Most of the students are older (at least young middle school age), and ds loves being with them. However, I think one of the reasons he likes it is because he's the baby of the group and gets whatever he wants! He's spoiled! LOL Anyway, today I get the following email. What do you think?

Jen,
    "I think **** would do really well here full time. We are in the process of putting together a first/second grade class with one specific teacher in the mornings, then participating with the group for some of the afternoon activities, and having outdoor time and/or younger age classes for the other times (ie: when the older students have history or philosophy, etc.) It would be a specific schedule, with a challenging, exciting curriculum in language arts, math, social studies and science. ***** is the teacher I have in mind to lead this class, and she has a degree in Gifted/Exceptional Ed. The curriculum is designed to include projects, individualized goals and objectives, and provide challenging academics, without the competitive atmosphere that frequently accompanies such standards. We already know he thrives in the multi-age environment here, he enjoys interacting with the older students as much as they enjoy having him around. We would maximize those relationships with the new primary class that is established in the form of reading partnerships, project helpers, and team activities. I would definitely like to talk with you more before you commit to the montessori school, because I would like to have him be a bigger part of our community. I am planning to get some other interested parents of 1st/2nd graders together during the next month to interview for possible placement in this new class which will start in January."

It would be a very small class, so lots of one-on-one, and a very unique situation. We are really impressed with the Montessori school as well, but it's a lot of money and a very different concept for us. I really like the fact that the full-time teacher is degreed in gifted education, but this school seems to still be pretty rough around the edges and just on the verge of getting it all together organizationally. In a way, I feel like ds would be a bit of a guinea pig, but it might be a real opportunity for him as well.

I know we need to investigate further, but we are supposed to sign on the dotted line tomorrow at Montessori. Any thoughts just based on this bit of info?

Thanks,
    Jen

JenSMP #62195 11/23/09 01:40 PM
    K
    K
    The fact that this teacher took the time out to write such a lengthy e-mail specific to your son's situation would make me want to at least have a conversation. Especially if you have any doubts at all about the Montessori. Anyway you can stall your meeting at the Montessori to have the talk? Does not signing now mean you'll lose your spot? Would it be reasonable to talk to your DS and see what he thinks, or wouldn't that work at your house?

That's a tough one! Good luck and keep us posted!

kimck #62196 11/23/09 01:50 PM
    W
    W
    If he is already going there and likes it and is getting a lot from it AND you knew it was new and rough around the edges to start with I don't see how a new young kids class would be any different than what he is doing already. It sounds like you have already found a good fit and that is a hard thing to do. Honestly I would probably give the new program a try if it were my kid. I don't see being the first class so much as a case of being guinea pigs as a case of not being stuck in a routine curriculum which hopefully will allow a lot of leeway for differing skills and learning styles.

JenSMP #62198 11/23/09 02:36 PM
    P
    P
    The new option really sounds promising ... built in variety but still with a single teacher to lead, continuity versus a major change, multiple ages.

Earlier notice would have been nice but at least you didn't get this email two days from now.

Polly

JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Lauren,

I need to find out more information about the new school and the plan for this new class. Right now, the older students who attend full-time do a virtual online public school program in the mornings and further enrichment in the afternoons. The students there all seem to be advanced. As of now, there are only 10 full-time and 5 part-time students (or, it might be the other way around...anyway, there are 15 total students).

If we wanted to stall, we could tell the Montessori school that we've decided to wait to make a decision b/c we're trying to decide whether to start ds in Jan or wait until August. Or, I could get sick overnight! LOL It took me a while to finally make the decision to go for it with the Montessori school. They're going to think I'm a nut if I stall. I'm not the best decision maker in the world; I either make impulsive decisions and am usually fine with those decisions, or I deliberate over every little thing like now! It's usually my decisions that affect ds that I struggle with.

I've been reluctant to go full time with the current school because of the evident disorganization. In fact, they are even in a temporary location right now while their small school undergoes some construction. You have to remember, I have a very traditional educational background, and all these options seem so "out-there" to me. I know ds needs non-traditional, but it's hard to wrap my brain around the concept sometimes. At least Montessori has been around for many, many years, and this particular school has been around for 15 years and comes highly recommended. I feel more secure with the Montessori option, but I know it doesn't always work for gifted children. Ds would love the relative non-structure of the current school, but what if he doesn't learn anything?! My father told me when I was about 8 years old that knowledge is a curse. Now I get it! Ignorance really is bliss, isn't it?

Rambling again...thanks! I'll let ya know what dh and I decide. I've tried talking to ds about it, but like many big decisions, he freaks out and says, "This sounds like an adult decision to me." I guess he's right. frown

JenSMP #62211 11/23/09 05:59 PM
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Dh and I have discussed it, and we decided we feel more secure with the Montessori school right now. We feel really good about it, so we're going with tried-and-true rather than a fledgling program at this point. One of the things we like about starting the Montessori program in January is that we're only committed for 5 months rather than a full year. Hopefully in that period of time we'll be able to determine if it's a good fit for ds. We'll definitely keep the other school in mind, and maybe by then they'll have a more established program in place. Dh didn't think it sounded like a great option at all because of the newness, the fact that the director took a week to respond to me, and the uncertainty of whether this whole thing is going to even come together. I think we really need to see some results before jumping into a major unknown. I guess it's never a bad thing to have two relatively good options from which to choose, huh? Thanks for the advice and for sharing your thoughts!

JenSMP #62747 12/02/09 02:33 PM
    Originally Posted by JenSMP
    We feel really good about it, so we're going with tried-and-true rather than a fledgling program at this point.
    Yippee! I hope you are enjoying the good feelings of having made a decision. I love that you only have to commit to half a year. Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #62748 12/02/09 02:49 PM
    H
    H
    Good luck Jen. What a great dilemma to have though, 2 possibly good choices for your DS. Keep us posted...

hkc75 #62753 12/02/09 03:06 PM
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    We feel really good about the decision. It's just a relief to have a plan, as I've discovered we are just not cut out for homescooling. We clash all day (maybe it's a personality thing; maybe it's my lack of patience; maybe we're too much alike), and I can't keep him engaged for that many hours in a row. I'm going crazy and so is ds. In other words, I'm failing as miserably as the Catholic school did, but at least I know when to admit defeat and move on. I know some would say we didn't give it a good college try before giving up, but it's just not good for our relationship (ds and me, I mean). I don't like feeling like I can't wait to get away!

That said, I didn't mean this to sound negative; we're actually really looking forward to the Montessori school. Ds has been visiting once a week to get him used to it before starting full time in January, and he's loving it! I pray that his enthusiasm lasts!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...