Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Wow! No wonder you felt like you were being tested. That's WAY more polished than our application was! eek

I was in the "crack open a bottle of wine and write for a few hours" crowd...

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    I was in the "crack open a bottle of wine and write for a few hours" crowd...

We did our application over the Christmas break. Needless to say lots of wine was involved wink

The application was sort of intimidating but we kept joking that at the very worst they would say that a child with such parents could really use outside help wink

LMom
    M
    M
    I wrote our application in a morning, had DH look it over, made very minor grammatical editing and put it in the mail that afternoon. I didn't want to give myself the chance to obsess over it. I did call to ask what in the world they were looking for from a 7 year old, but I finally figured that they were actually just looking for a snapshot of the kid. I don't think the questions are make or break, I think they're just a way of showing the kid as more than a number (i.e. "How does xyz IQ and abc achievement score present in this kid?").

O
    OP Offline
    O
    I do feel good that I gave it my best effort. With borderline scores I was just wanting them see what he is about. We really need the help too.

Q
    Q
    onthegomom, you absolutely did the right thing. For all the people who post here that they just whipped off the application in a few hours and hoped for the best, there are others, like you and me, who spent plenty of time on the application for good reason. At least you know you took the time to make sure you did not overlook anything important. Good luck! I hope you get the help you need.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    questions - thank you. (if we don't get in maybe will get an "honorable mention" for effort. LOL that's ok. I already feel good about it)

last month they let some people know on the 4th. that's 11 days...I'm thinking it might be later with the holiday.

Just got the newletter. Heart skipped a beat but I really knew better.

hang in there everybody

Last edited by onthegomom; 11/23/09 03:13 PM.
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    Last month on the 4th on got my need IQ test email. so it could be any day.
    any body NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEERRRRRRVVVVEEEEEOOOOOOUUUUUSSSSSSSS?

N
    N
    Keeping my fingers crossed for everybody.
    Good luck!!!

Good luck, guys and gals!

Well, we got our email.
    They want more evidence for DD. I had a feeling they would, but am still disappointed. We had sort of pinned our hopes on getting help for the current school year on her getting accepted, but maybe if we can get a portfolio together soon enough it'll still work out.
    So, now I guess the issue becomes what to send and what not to send, as well as what to ask her to do, or try to catch her doing that would show that she is working 2-3 grade levels above.
    I know one thing I think I will put in - we just saw a picture she made in art class today that is amazing! It is of Sleeping Beauty and based on that optical illusion of the old and young lady, and which do you see. She thought the young one looked like Sleeping Beauty, so she drew her from her memory of the picture.
    Hope you all hear soon.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM