Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 520 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 63 of 76 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 75 76
    J
    J
    I work full time from home but I do go into the office one day a week. I'm a computer programmer so while I do have to be available 8-5 or whatever I can do my programming at night if I want. My schedule can be flexible and my boss is really awesome so I think if I tell him what's going on he'll be ok with it. My parents work jobs where they're home a lot during the day too so if I needed them they could come over and help.

I really think that it's workable but scary!

G
    GM5 Offline
    G
    Jamie B - Well she made it through the play OK. After it was over, her teacher told the whole class that they did a good job and GD asked her, "Me too? Did I do a good job?" DD thought it was sad that she wasn't sure she was included in the praise.

Interestingly, we were invited to go to the kids rooms after the play and take pictures. DD noticed that teacher was getting stressed = wanting the parents to leave and repeatedly telling the kids to go sit at their tables. DD said teacher's body language was so tense and GD (like DD) picks up quickly on that type of thing and it stresses her out. We'll see what the rest of the day brings. DD thought it too bad that the teacher couldn't just "chill out" on a day like today for a few minutes and not be so worried about her schedule.

Jamie B - I'm not sure if it's better or worse that your DS doesn't get upset about much like missing the play. GD gets invested in everything and can't stand missing out on anything & her intensity gets her into some trouble. The other day we got a note that she cried loudly while her teacher was trying to read a story. Didn't make any sense until I asked her and found out that the story was almost over when she got back to the room (probably from office or restroom) and she "wanted to hear the whole story". I asked her if she thought the other kids wanted to hear the rest of the story and how did they feel at her crying loudly so they couldn't hear. She said - sad. I'm trying to get her to see how her actions affect others because she can be very empathetic.

What kind of testing did your DS have? Have you been told the results? I probably should go back through your posts and refresh my memory. Are they still doing some differentiating for him?

J
    J
    Poor thing thinking that she didn't do a good job frown I hope that the teacher can get less stressed so that everybody has a good day!

DS has had the SB-IV, Woodcock-Johnson and the Kaufmann (I think it's called). They aren't really doing anything as far as I can tell. He said in math he sits at his desk and does a workbook while the rest of the class works with the teacher but I haven't been told about that so I have no clue what it is.

Jamie:

Keep in mind that especially at young ages, most kids do not need more than a couple/three hours per day for homeschooling. And you don't actually have to do all of it/any if it during the week. It is pretty flexible. The time commitment increases as the child gets older, but so should the independence.

No pressure to homeschool here though. Your kid, your call, and a good-fit school is a good thing. smile But if you don't have a good fit, don't let homeschooling scare you. It sounds like something that might work with your situation IF (big if!) you want to try it. Having your parents around to help here and there could be a big help to you.

I'll drop it unless you want to pursue further. But feel free to ask if you want to chat about it. I'm happy to talk pros and cons without pushing.

Kriston
    J
    J
    Thanks Kriston. I really think that I do want to try it. I'm going to wait and see what happens with the principal and then really decide. I'll let you guys know!

K
    K
    Good luck with your decision, Jamie.

I had a long talk with DSs teacher, I feel a lot better about the whole situation and now feel she will work with me. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. I think a lot of the problem lies in DSs refusal to do work, he's refusing more than I thought, and they're having a hard time placing him because they don't know if he doesn't know or just won't do it. They are willing to meet him where he's at but he is giving them mixed messages about what he can do.

J
    J
    Do you think that you can get a better feel for where he's at instead of the teachers? Has he said why he's not doing the work?

K
    K
    I don't know. I'm not sure if he has ADD, there are some signs, or if he's overwhelmed by the amount of writing that he's rebelling against everything. They are adjusting things so that while he still has to do the writing they're taking some pressure off of him there. Or it could be that he just doesn't want to.

I asked him once and he said he has known this stuff for a long time and doesn't want to do it anymore. The problem is he has to do it enough to show them he can do it. I've been sick(kindergarten germs are going to do me in) but I hope to meet with his reading teacher soon.

J
    J
    Good luck!

Well, we are joining the ranks of the disappointed group here. We met with the school staff re: possibly having DS5 do online EPGY accelerated math while the other kids are learning letters or basic math. It turns out that DS5 has not been showing them his abilities in school (or else they're not seeing it). Their hearts are in the right place, but their reasons for DS not being ready to do the accelerated program don't match up with the program itself. Lots of stuff about social well-being, and all-around development (including large-motor skills). We mentioned that we were talking 20-30 minutes, but that didn't help. I think the big thing is that for some reason DS is not participating or talking in class the way they thought he would. So if they're not seeing it, I guess I can see why they would be hesitant to give him anything different, but we've got to figure out why he's not showing them what he knows.

Another big disappointment is that the teacher, who I really like a lot, does not seem to get that DS does not and will not know the answers to everything that she asks him, especially when she is asking some very advanced things. She told us she was surprised he didn't know the answer to a 3rd grade type math question. We told her we wouldn't expect him to know that - he has never had any formal math training, but that he loves math and wants/is ready for a regular formal math curriculum (he's probably at 2nd grade level in most math). I suggested they do some end-of-year assessments to see where his abilities lie. Random questions that seem destined for him to fail do not seem appropriate.

There are some good things though. The teacher has gotten DS to write and spell, which he refused to do for us at home. He's gone from nothing to pretty decent. And he's reading aloud to us with more confidence. And they're sending home appropriate reading materials. And there's a neat little problem-solving pullout.

The worst part is that they don't see him as having well developed expressive speech. This was the big shocker because DS's large vocab and highly advanced language skills are what people notice about him. In fact, we didn't even talk about that with the school because we thought it was so obvious. They are not seeing the same kid we are. (This might be related to DS's lack of certain sounds plus perfectionism. He might be embarrassed to say certain words if he can't say them correctly. Happily, DS just qualified for speech therapy, so I hope that helps, and it's not that he's just checked out already.)

So we've decided to get EPGY at home, and report to the school how he's progressing. Maybe if they see some of the reports from that program on his abilities, they will believe that he's ready. Another reason I wanted him to be able to do this at school is that DS does not like school much, expect gym, computer, and library, and I thought he'd really like to do some math (he asks for math problems at home all the time). I said at the meeting that I guess it's pretty common for k'ers to not want to go to school (I know I didn't), but from the looks on their faces, I'm guessing it's not really all that common. They said I told them he was happier, and I said, yes he is - I no longer have to drag him to the car, he walks willingly.

Sorry so long. I am disappointed, but hopeful because I think the teachers/principal all want the best for our DS, and they are a really great bunch of people. Since I like them all, it makes the disappointment harder to swallow, I guess.

Page 63 of 76 1 2 61 62 63 64 65 75 76

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM