Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #6179 12/18/07 11:35 AM
    Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DD7 has only had the WISC IV that was administered by her school. She has had no other formal testing. I'm still learning about all the testing and am hoping to figure out if and when further testing would be a benefit to her.

I was wondering if you all wouldn't mind sharing with me what testing you've had done with your kids and at what age it was done? Why did you have the specific tests done?

Thanks in advance!

gratified3 #6191 12/18/07 01:19 PM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    DS 13
    Slosson (SIT-R) age 5 yr 8 mo
    Woodcock Johnson Achievement 5 yr 8 mo
    State test every year from grade 3 on
    EXPLORE at age 10
    SAT/ACT age 11 and 12

DS 11
    Slosson & WJ Achievement at age 5 yr 9 mo)
    SCAT age 9
    PLUS age 9
    SAT age 11

DS 9
    Slosson age 4 yr 10 mo
    WJ Achievement same age
    SCAT at 6
    state tests starting age 7
    EXPLORE scheduled for Jan 08

DS 6
    RIAS age 4 yr 11 mo
    WJ Achievement same age
    WJ III Cog age 5 yrs 5 mo for DYS application

I really have not researched the tests and should probably look more closely at subtest scores; basically I followed the recommendations of the diagnostician (except the last WJ III that we needed for DYS to avoid getting lots of recommendations).

cym #6192 12/18/07 01:58 PM
    D
    D
    DS11

At age 5
    DTLA-P (Detroit Tests of Learning Aptitude-Primary
    This test was conducted by Director of the Pre-School that he attended because they suspected that he was �gifted�.
    We followed up the DTLA-P �very superior� results with WPSPI conducted by a generous retired school psychologist. This test was way too easy and boring for him (other than the mazes), although he still cleared the �gifted� threshold.
    We were unsuccessful in our effort to get him inserted into a K class with PS.

At 5 years 10 months and facing a K placement at public school, we brought him in for the SB-IV. The results were DYS level although we were unaware of their existence at the time. PS still intended to place him in K, but the Catholic school accepted him for early 1st grade.

At 7.5 years we learned of the Davidson Institute by researching the issues we faced with him including, night terrors and obvious under-challenge and underachievement at school. We brought him in for WIAT-II testing. His composite scores were 98 (reading, with a 99 for reading comprehension), 99 (written language with a 99.5 for written expression) and 99.9(math). He was accepted as a DYS!

Age 10
    He took the SB-5 because I understood it was tough to score well and I was curious. We were also trying to secure subject acceleration in math.
    The EXPLORE test which I learned about here.

This year at age 11/6th grade
    He will take the EXPLORE test again and the ACT which I just realized he was eligible for with MATS.

Mom2LA #6195 12/18/07 02:23 PM
    Z
    Z
    Hi - We had WPPSI-III and WJ-III at 4.4 months - We had the testing as it was a requirement to receive early entry into private school for gifted kids. We had WIAT-II at 4.10 to make sure the grade placement for the school was going to be correct.

Because of the young age for the achievement tests, we were not able to get most composite scores for his age. Because of this, I would recommend waiting since the tests were not inexpensive to administer.

Dottie #6200 12/18/07 03:44 PM
    DS6.5:
    -Kindergarten teacher IDd him for GT testing at just over 5.5yo.
    -School administered CogAT (Group IQ test) & WJIII achievement, which showed him as qualifying for DYS in 3 of the 4 composite areas and missing the 4th by only 1 point.
    -We took him for SB5, but he didn't make DYS scores, though jury is still out about whether that was a bad test day & bad test fit or a lower-than-required IQ.
    -We're planning to give him the WISC to make one last pass at DYS.

DS3.5: No testing yet.

Kriston
    Kriston #6213 12/18/07 07:50 PM
    DS5 tested privately on the SB-5 at age 4 years 9 months. We tested just because he was still in regular preschool, I had a strong feeling he was GT and I wanted to pursue early admittance to K. Even with his GT scores the state/city will not budge and my son is now in a Montessori school and can attend K in the fall of 2008. It's too bad that he is already finishing up a 1st grade curriculum during our evening homeschooling (that is initiated by my son).

Our next test is achievement testing after the holidays so we can purse the DYS program.

Crisc

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM