Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 125 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #61481 11/16/09 04:39 PM
    OP Offline
    Does anyone have experience with Hatterdays at Stetson in Deland, FL.? We've just found them and are going to sign DD6 up for their Dec. program. I was just wondering if anyone else is going, or has gone in the past.

Hi Kerry. We were considering it, actually. I just read about it a few days ago. My ds is 6! I know nothing about it really, but it's supposed to be a good program. Hopefully someone here will have something to add. Do you live nearby? We are in the Orlando area.

Jen

JenSMP #61497 11/16/09 08:37 PM
    P
    P
    We've done several of these since spring with DD7. She has really enjoyed and requests to go back even though we spend almost as much time in the car as we do at the class (we come from near Jacksonville). There are a number of east coast and central Florida families that attend - one from as far as Tallahassee (for an older child). They also have weeklong summer camps at several locations, includin the main Stetson campus and usually one at an Orlando elementary school, Princeton I think.

We've gotten a little more selective about specific topics and some scheduling conflicts, so didn't make the November program and will miss the December program as well. Am waiting for the spring schedule to come out so we can get these penciled in first.

They have a fair amount of hands on stuff in the younger group (K-3rd usually), but much of the material itself is pretty advanced. Recent focus has been tied to topics covered in Magic Tree House or Magic School Bus - December is Polar Express.

Since these are targeted at gifted kids, the grade levels for the classes aren't absolute, but they try to manage them because many of the older classes can involve some pretty intensive fine motor skills (rocketry, sheep heart dissections, etc.).

I think the parent classes are quite valuable as well - the director has a parent resource library, has had excellent speakers - and getting information from other parents who have BTDT in their own school districts (or possibly even your district) builds a useful scaffold for advocacy - at least it helped me a bunch last school year.

Prissy
    Prissy #61625 11/17/09 03:17 PM
    OP Offline
    JenSMP - Yes, we're in the Orlando area. We've just moved to the area and know only the people I work with, so we're looking for contacts.

Prissy - thanks for the info. We are pretty excited about it. I think DD will love it. We'll let you know how it is.

B
    B
    It's neat to see other parents that are near to us :-) We live in Melbourne and travel to Orlando quite frequently. We were excited to find Hatterdays - we were also looking into MASA in the Orlando area as well. We really wanted to do the Polar Express Dec. gathering but my inlaws will be watching DS6 while we will be out of town for the weekend and we don't want them to have to deal with a long drive in unfamilar territory. We haven't been to one yet so we are waiting for the Spring classes with anticipation!!!

Belle #61804 11/19/09 04:01 AM
    OP Offline
    What is MASA?

B
    B
    MASA is Math, Science, Arts, and Science Achievement Center for High Achieving and Talented Youth and is a program sponsored by Space Florida and NASA's Florida Space Grant Consortium.....they also run Saturday programs and they are in Winter Park right outside of Orlando...here is their site....their classes look amazing....
    http://www.masaflorida.org/saturdaydescription_fall2009.html

Belle #61820 11/19/09 07:49 AM
    Thanks for sharing that Belle!

Elisa #62052 11/21/09 05:03 PM
    OP Offline
    Thanks, They do look great. We'll have to compare the 2 programs each month and see if DD wants to go to one or the other and if we can afford them each time. It sure would be nice to have an unlimited budget for these sorts of things wouldn't it? smirk

OP Offline
    Well, DD6 loved the Hatterday yesterday! grin
    She was a bit nervous going because she didn't know anyone, but once there she had a great time. She came out with a huge grin on her face telling us all about what she had learned about the northern lights, polar ice caps and candy canes.
    She definitely wants to go back again, so anyone that decides to go will probably see us there. grin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM