Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 368 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    OP Offline

Well,

It's been a crazy 5 years and I've had no one but a very patient husband and parents to talk to. How do I voice my concern for my then three year old to other parents? Well, you can't. And now, at five, and in Kindergarten, I'd hoped all would be well. However, after one month my DD was reduced to tears on a daily basis. She wondered why Kindergarten was so much like preschool, and why no one was learning to read yet, and why was she working on a phonics worksheet and reading leveled readers. Poor child. Since starting preschool two years earlier this child has become increasingly frustrated. Last year in 4 year old preschool I remember her frustration in learning that no one else could read and that they wouldn't be learning that year. Each year she enters school with a zest and love of learning unparalleled by many and soon discovers that this isn't the year she will learn. It's as if she's waiting, and waiting for everyone to catch up. At 3.5 her dad and I discovered that she had taught herself to read. By 4.5 she had read the Magic Treehouse and A to Z mystery series of books and by 5 she was reading Little House on the Prairie.

I remember her passion at 3.5 for learning the US States and how she would pour over the book of state birds and flowers, which was her favorite facts. I remember her telling me at 4 while I was in the garden and she came out to join me that she'd been learning about how mountains are made and found plate techtonics fascinating!

Now at the age of 5 nearly 6, I worry. What will become of my eager to learn, passionate child? What will school become to her.

As an aside, she loves all her friends in school. She's been with them since 3 year old preschool since we are in a small community and will be with the same group of kids all through school.

Well, the WJIII was completed and scores are in on that. Cognitive testing was finished and we are awaiting an IEP. I had sincerely hoped that we'd get further along in school before she began to feel "Sad" (her words) about school.

Thanks for listening!

Welcome Crazydaisy,
    This is a great place to "tell all" and ask all. It has been an amazing place for DH and I to get answers to questions and just hear about how others have dealt with similar situations as we have. There have been many a time when either DH or I have thought -"ok, let's post that and see what they say" or has anyone said anything about that on the board?"

Welcome again, and be ready to hold on for the ride of raising a gifty!

Welcome CD!
    What will become of your eager to learn, passionate child?

Crying every day isn't good. Make sure the school knows that she is crying every day, as she is probably too well behaved to let it show at school.

Perhaps ask her to write a letter describing what her ideal school would be like, so you can show it to the IEP folks?

Also, bring in any of her work that is in her own hand that shows what she is 'about' - perhaps she could write a little something about her favorite book, and what it is about, or how mountains are made. There is something very sweeet about seeing little bay handwriting and really mature content together in the same product.

Would you be comfortable with her spending some or all of her day with older kids?

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    Thank you for the warm replies.

Grinity, I like the letter writing idea for the IEP.

It's so complex at this young age. She's become very adept at seperating her "at home" persona from her "at school" persona. If I had a goal for this year it would be to help her gain confidence in being a little more "her" at school, and not just at home. She's tried sharing at "share-time" her passion for american history and her interest in different decades (the fifties being her personal favorite), but both were received, to her surprise, with uninterest by her class of peers. She's back to sharing her Littlest Pets. Nothing wrong with that. I'd just love to see her have an outlet.

Ah, once again...I rant. I'll be ready at the IEP with some ideas. And, again, Grinity...I really like the letter idea. I'm not sure she can envision school as anything other than what it's always been to her, but we'll see.

Until Next Time,

Originally Posted by Grinity
    Would you be comfortable with her spending some or all of her day with older kids?

Best Wishes,
    Grinity
    Sounds like she has enough Emotional Intelligence to get herself into a heap of trouble. At least older kids would share some interests. I don't think that your goal should be for her to show more of her true self in her current classroom setting - that just wouldn't be safe. Perhaps to have a goal of having her in a classroom setting where it is safe for her to show more of her true self. KWIM?

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

OP Offline
    I agree with having her amongst some older kids. She's never had that experience and I think that would help. They've talked previously about subject accelerating her in math to a higher grade. Of course, the scores may change everything, so I'll just have to wait and see what picture it paints and what plans they may have on their own. The school psych seems very prepared to help DD in any way possible. She'll be pulled out for the gifted program 2 days a week. We'll see what they come up with for the rest. They really do seem to want to do the best thing though, so I feel like they are ready to try anything.

Thanks Grinity.

J
    J
    Welcome.

J
    J
    Welcome...it's nice to have this place to come to!

It's sad that she isn't liking school. When is her IEP? Do you think that the school will be open to accelerating her?

It's hard to wait, but you may want to make a private list of your dream accomidations. Sounds like Reading groups should definitly be with older children. I hate waiting, but I wish you well with it, because it is the right thing sometimes.

Smiles,
    Grinity

OP Offline
    Jamie,

Thanks for the welcome. I think the school is welcome to anything that will help. They've recognized the need for something different that's for sure! The IEP should be this week, I'm just waiting for a phone call to schedule it. Maybe subject acceleration at this point. I guess it'll depend on the scores, huh?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM