Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 285 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    I've looked around online and found several sites, but not quite what I need. DS is five, not reading yet.

What I've seen so far either has a lot of text or are experiments.

When he asked me the question I gave him an explanation but I think it would help him to have some visuals as well.

Thanks!

note: I see that Brainpop (regular not Jr.) has a video on gravity. I will sign up for the free trial and check it out

We have a great book called "Gravity is a Mystery" by Franklyn M. Branley. It's a Stage 2 book as part of the "Let's Read and Find Out Science" series and it is awesome! We got ours at the local science museum, but I'm sure you could find it on Amazon. It has great visuals and great, friendly text that all my kids (5.5 through 11) really appreciate. I very highly recommend it.

She thought she could, so she did.
    I just checked Amazon, and they do, indeed, have it. It's $5.99. BTW: We also love the other books we have in the series. We also have "Germs Make Me Sick" and "What is the World Made of? All About Solids, Liquids, and Gases" but I know there are others as well.

She thought she could, so she did.
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Thanks!!

they have it at our library. I just read the reviews on Amazon and it sound great.

I'm not sure what you mean about an explanation for "how gravity works". There are lots of different explanations for this in different theories of physics, but even a profoundly gifted five-year-old would have trouble understanding most of them (one interpretation of quantum physics actually explains gravity as an effect of TIME "pulling" on objects)!

That said, I understood the classic "rubber sheet analogy" of Einsteinian gravity when I was not much older than your son.

If what you're looking for is more of an observational description of gravity - ie small things fall toward big things, things speed up as they fall, etc etc - I'm sure you can find plenty of videos. Try Discovery Education; their library is pretty extensive (I've used up my trial membership, sadly, so can't run a search for you).

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets