Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 359 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I really need some advice here, especially from those with kids who have Aspergers or social skills problems. My just turned 10 DD has been attending PS for english for almost 2 years now as part of her IEP for speech therapy. In that time her writing skills which were only age appropriate, when she is placed a grade ahead, appear to have caught up. This year, every day is a fight to get her to school in the morning. She is constantly complaining about how it takes them sooo long to do one subject and even her two electives aren't holding her interest anymore. Her reading and comprehension are years ahead with the only exception being some fictional inference meaning, which doesn't seem to show up on her achievement tests.

I am considering giving in to all the arguement and misery of daily fighting and having her take some online classes with onlineG3, which I mentioned in a post on the recommended resources board. We also already do a lot of Lit. with history and I could put her in a writing program next school year. Any thoughts? experiences?

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    Would she still be eligible for the speech therapy if needed from the school if she is home schooled?
    Our ds9 has some social delays, a social skills group has been very helpful for all of us!

Sorry she is not enjoying school, my ds9 is finally 'ok' with it, but it is still very slow going in the mornings, many many reminders to get the teeth brushed, shoes on, etc. Not as much complaining about the destination, at least. Mondays are pretty good because that is his gt class most of the day.

Sounds like she might need more challenge there, that is what you are thinking? Do you think you've exhausted the limits in that realm? or maybe shy about asking them?

Good luck!

Last edited by chris1234; 11/13/09 12:45 PM. Reason: changed dd to ds! getting my kids confused!
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    She already homeschools all her other subjects because they can't meet her needs. I was trying to hold out for the middle school thinking there might be more opportunity there. I am not getting a good response so far. I have a meeting set up but they won't see me until December. It sounds like we're starting all over again there. So far this administration has the policy of in class differentiation only. With class sizes now at 27-28 students to a single teacher it just isn't happening and I don't see it as realistic. They only allow high school classes when of chronologic age.

She will still qualify for speech, our MEP is until the second semester of seventh grade. They do not do any social groups, just one on one therapy sessions. I do not know how services change once she gets to the middle school next year. I know she lacks social skills but also know that she is a lot like I was at her age. They blamed it on my mother dying when I was ten, who knows. I am not a social person, although 16 years married to the class clown has helped. smile I think I am reaching the limits of what the school will consider. I'm amazed we have gotten this far and don't want a complete breakdown because I may need to try something similar with one of my twins, and my DS4 also receives services from the school district.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM