Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 193 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    If anyone has the time to share thought and ideas I would love input on my current dilema. I posted it here http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/61188.html#Post61188 but wasn't sure how many people visit this forum and could use as much input as possible.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    H
    H
    I had a similar issue with my son when he was 10. I gave in and let him take the SAT and then pulled him out for a winter session class at our state university. He never went back to public school. We've had some issues with him learning to be as organized and responsible as the University expects but he is quite happy now and working on some of these other skills while he continues his studies at a level that engages him. There are many issues to consider here. Too many for this forum. I've since formed a non-profit in my state to create more resources for kids like ours. If you want to talk about this privately more email me or visit my web-site at www.HEROESgifted.com

Hi Melissa,
    Sorry I missed your post the first time around. Thanks for being persistent.
    I guess I don't see what the downside of pulling her and doing the G3 classes, or college classes or a tutor or EPGY. Doesn't EPGY have an online High School?

One idea I do have is to start thinking about how to get her into social situations with people who are 'similar' in terms of giftedness to her. The summer camps such as CTY (center for talented youth) are a great way to spend time with other gifted kids, adults who get gifted kids, and perhaps work on some writing skills that might need more hands on teaching.

I love HEROES story! I agree that taking the SAT or ACT would be a very good idea. Do you have a state university with traveling distance? Other Alternatives are boarding school or early college at a small Liberal Arts College. Have you heard of PEG www.mbc.edu/peg

About PEG

PEG, the Program for the Exceptionally Gifted, offers an opportunity for bright and accomplished young women to complete college during their high school years. PEG students live in a fully supervised, state of the art residence hall with their true peers on the beautiful campus of Mary Baldwin College.

Continually refined, PEG reflects the latest research in educating gifted students, evaluations by faculty and staff, and feedback from student and parents.

PEG began in 1985 with 11 students. Today PEG students number over 70 and come from all over the country and beyond.

Read "Young, Gifted, and Skipping High School" at washingtonpost.com.

Also, You may want to try to start a topic on AS and the middle school year on either the twice exceptional area,or the Middle School area.

Keep trying! I know that the words you need to hear are out there - I'm just not sure which signals you have to send to trigger that moment!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Hi Heroes! Nice to see you here. Feel free to tell people about your upcoming events- I am sure you'll generate some interest!

warmly,

Lorel

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations