Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 423 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    KAR120C Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Anyone else doing the AMC8 this year? I don't actually have any questions about it... just thought this folder could use more traffic. LOL... Although if anyone knows of other competitions... We're doing AMC8, MOEMS and MathCounts, maybe Purple-Comet (it's late in the "season" so we'll see how the rest of the year has gone before we decide), maybe AMC10 if DS does well on the 8... and possibly the NACLO (computational linguistics) if I either find someone else doing it or convince more kids to join us.

I've got two math groups - one "older" for MathCounts and the other "younger" for MOEMS elementary level. DS is officially 6th grade this year so he's in that little sliver of overlap... it makes for an interesting (busy!) year of contests.

Erica
    L
    L
    Yup, I'm doing both the AMC8 and the AMC10 this year - my school wants the kids in my class to.

Did your DS try any practice AMC's yet?

KAR120C Offline OP
    OP Offline
    He's done a couple problems, but this is his second year taking it anyway... so he knows what he's in for. smile He does about 30 minutes of problem solving math of some kind each day as part of his schoolwork, not necessarily specific to any one program... but it would sort of count as "test prep" -- they all overlap quite a bit!

Now if he does well on the 8 I think I probably will sit him down with a few of the past years' 10s just to see where he falls on that. February is busy already, so I'm hesitant just on that count!

Erica
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Our math club is inactive this year. I think the teacher thought it was too much extra work. Wish I could find willing & enthusiastic teacher to do it (mind you--I helped enormously by getting all the P.O.'s, registering, covering about 80% of the club meetings, buying donuts for the kids after each competition, etc.)

This year the school is only offering AMC8 (and AMC10 for those who qualify). Very disappointing.

M
    M
    Well, if it makes you feel any better, my DD11's school would say, "Math competitions? What are those?"

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years