Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi smile
    We have been always testing with RMTS since it is our region and DD has attended the Institute in Denver twice. This year I would like her to go to CTY summer program. How should we test?
    Test with CTY only? Test with RMTS - are the scores transferable?
    I know that if she does not test with RMTS she will not be eligable for the awards ceremony in the spring.
    What are the advantages of testing through CTY if you are not in their region?

C
    C
    We're in the same region. In case you didn't know, RMATS split off from DU and is now WATS (Western Academic Talent Search). Their umbrella organization is now called the Center for Bright Kids (CBK).

In re to your original question, though, it is my understanding that you can use the scores from any talent search program to apply for summer programs with the other programs assuming that it is a test the other program accepts for that grade level. For instance RMATS/WATS uses the EXPLORE for 3rd-6th graders and SAT or ACT for 6th-9th. Other talent searches use the SCAT for the younger age group and will not take scores from the EXPLORE. Also, my eldest took the SAT through RMATS last year as a 6th grader, but could not use those scores for out of state summer programs b/c their talent search organizations didn't use SAT scores until 7th grade. (Not that we could have afforded any summer programs last summer anyway...)

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DD is in 7th.
    She plans to take both SAT and ACT.
    If we do WATS (thanks for the reminder smile )the test will be automatically send to Denver. If I need to have the scores send to CTY, I guess I will have to pay additional fee for score reporting?
    I have also heard on this board that CTY gives places to kids who participated in their talent search first, before admitting any outsiders. Any truth to that?
    DD loved Denver summer program and she would like to go back for 3 weeks now but I am adamant that she needs to experience something different.

C
    C
    You certainly don't have to go though CTY to take SAT. You can just register with college board. Then you can send the score to CTY or other programs. It may save you $40, I am not totally sure.

CTY offers full Talent Search benefits in 19 states and DC. It means that CTY holds awards ceremonies in these states for top scoring students. But anyone can apply CTY. Most of those who did that for summer program purpose.

Those summer programs are not cheap. Usually around $1000 per week so a 3 week residential camp sets you back $3000. There are some free summer camps like RSI but very difficult to get in. Some residential math programs are relatively inexpensive.

L
    L
    Originally Posted by chenchuan
    You certainly don't have to go though CTY to take SAT. You can just register with college board. Then you can send the score to CTY or other programs. It may save you $40, I am not totally sure.

That's true, but I don't think you will be counted as a "Talent search participant" if you don't register with them first.

I'm not sure if CTY gives precedence to students who were involved with their talent search, but it seems like the vast majority of people who go to CTY's summer programs took the SAT/ACT through CTY anyway.

From CTY's website:

Is my child eligible for summer programs if he has not participated in the CTY Talent Search?

Any child who earns the required qualifying scores is eligible for CTY. Keep in mind, though, that when we assign students to courses, we assign returning students first, then Talent Search participants, and then other applicants.

It looks like there might be a disadvantage if your DD was a first-time applicant, since there is a hierarchy in terms of assignment of classes as decribed above. It might be wise to pay the fee and join their talent search if you are dead-set on their summer program - at least she would be second-in-line. But, your DD may not get the classes she wants if they are filled with returning students.

L
    L
    Last year when I participated in CTY as a first-year I had to settle with my second choice, Crafting the Essay, because Ethics had already been filled. Still, the popular courses, mainly the ones which are prerequisite to other courses, usually have two or three classes separated by age, so getting a course DD likes shouldn't be too big of a problem.

Within first-time applicants, CTY also gives the students with higher test scores the priority.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by chenchuan
    There are some free summer camps like RSI but very difficult to get in. Some residential math programs are relatively inexpensive.
    What is RSI? My dd has been set on working in marine mammology since she was very little so science related courses are of the most interest to her.

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    RSI stands for Research Science Institute besed on MIT campus.

http://www.cee.org/programs/rsi

C
    cym Offline
    C
    We've tested SAT/ACT through different talent searches, trying to use RMATS/WATS when possible. This year I signed DS8 up for both WATS (for EXPLORE) and JHU CTY (for SCAT). Everyone else is through CTY, just because it was convenient (online).

Three of my kids have done CTY programs. Last year was the first time the course we wanted was full (for my oldest).

I highly recommend Duke programs for 7th/8th graders. The reason is that they have specific courses/campuses designated for just 7th & 8th graders (after 5th & 6th grade, CTY programs are for 7th through 10th grades...big age spread, though they make an effort to house similar age & ability kids in same rooms, dorms, classes). The Duke TIP programs for 7th & 8th graders are offered at Davidson (NC), Trinity (TX) and perhaps a couple other campuses. DS13 went last summer and loved Davidson. There was air conditioning, good food, laundry service, gorgeous campus, and amazing course. When I delivered him it was so nice to see all these kids in the same age bracket, so I didn't worry too much about older kids stuff.

I always suggest showing the kids all the courses at all of the programs (WATS seems to come out really late and by then a lot of the CTY courses may be filled, so I haven't waited for their course selection to decide).

Last edited by cym; 11/24/09 03:29 AM. Reason: oops--no little girls here.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM