Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 371 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    JenSMP #61044 11/12/09 10:59 AM
    I really think this is one of those situations where mother's instinct or gut feelings comes into play. Is this more of just a few bad days or is it a pattern that is possibly getting worse? If it is more in line with a pattern than I would definitely seek counseling. And pat yourself on the back for considering it and not hiding hoping it will go away. There is nothing wrong with seeking help and my BF wishes she had picked up on the signs when her DD was a lot younger. Her DD is now 15 and going through some really hard times. She has been hospitalized once and on many medications and it is so sad to watch because she has such potential but she gets anxious which turns into depression. If she had the tools in place at an earlier age she might have better ways to cope with it.

And by no means am I making comparisons of my BF's DD with your son ... apples to oranges. But if your gut is telling you something is off, definitely seek help.

JenSMP #61045 11/12/09 11:18 AM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by JenSMP
    Also, my parents are very involved, and they and the nanny have always given him undivided attention. I just thought he never learned to be alone, and maybe that's true. But, we've been working on that for a long time, and he still struggles with it. Maybe he is feeling anxiety; is it enough to just continue to work on doing things for himself? If I get a phone call, he finds something to have a meltdown over. If I'm in the shower, same thing. Even in the car, he freaks out if I just want to listen to music and not play a game with him. He is even reluctant to make a decision for himself (perfectionism), yet he has an opinion on anything and will argue that the sky is really green until he's blue in the face. I'm exhausted trying to keep him occupied.

DS used to be the same way when I was on the phone. He would also get upset when DH and I shared a hug that excluded him. I explained to him that, just like he has lots of people he loves besides me, I have lots of people I love besides him, and giving a few minutes of my time and attention to someone else I love doesn't mean I stop loving him while I'm doing it - just like he doesn't stop loving me when he spends the night at Grandma's. I also said that, just like he sometimes spends time just with Daddy and sometimes just with me, Daddy and I sometimes need to spend time just with each other. It took a few reminders after that, but he really shaped up quickly and now shows much greater respect for other relationships and confidence in his own.

JenSMP #61239 11/14/09 03:21 AM
    B
    BKD Offline
    B
    The problem is, when he gets frustrated, all reason goes out the window and he is just a little ball of feelings
    This is my DS7's problem too. I've finally read The Explosive Child (quite a wait from the library) - what a relief to read about other children like him, and to find a book for parents of the children who don't obediantly go to their rooms for time out. Frustration seems to be the key issue - just too much emotion for them to cope with, so everything bottlenecks into rage. I really recommmend the book - it gives a very different perspective on dealing with these children.

JenSMP #61277 11/14/09 03:26 PM
    J
    J
    joys-yes, my son loves both science and art. I find science to be a difficult subject to homeschool b/c it's not my favorite! I am working on trying to find something that is interesting and fun. Mostly it bores both of us to death which tells me I'm not doing the right thing. He LOVES science, so it's not the subject matter; it's the presentation I'm sure! Any suggestions? He wants to try some of the Lego educational products, but he's also interested in chemistry.

We do simple things mainly because DS is just four. I try to choose at least one wait and watch type of experiment if I have to do something else and allow him to free play. So in case his mind wanders it goes to the experiment. we have zero tolerance for tantrums. I can't think straight when it happens so he can cry his heart out but only in his room. He can come to me when he is ready to stop crying and use his words or just needs a hug. Being consistent is the key with him.

Last edited by joys; 03/15/13 04:32 PM.
    BonusMom #61372 11/15/09 07:33 PM
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by BonusMom
    For what it's worth, DS seemed to take a long time to be comfortable being alone; he was probably 5 before he could even manage to go 10 minutes without calling for one of us or coming to find us. I don't think it was an anxiety issue. I think he just prefers company and/or an audience.

One thing that really helped us a lot was getting him a CD player and several CDs with stories (Greek legends, King Arthur, etc.). He plays these over and over again, often at a low volume, which makes me think he just likes the comfort of a human voice - like white noise but with gory imagery. wink He can be by himself for hours now with just occasional check-ins.

As an aside, I also think the CDs - whether stories or music - keep some segment of his brain occupied, which then allows the rest of his brain to focus better on the task at hand. I wonder if it would be helpful to your DS to have music playing while he does his schoolwork.

I REALLY like this idea. We're definitely going to try it! Thank you.

bh14 #61373 11/15/09 07:38 PM
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by bh14
    This sounds JUST like my DD. We did try counseling 9for issues related to anxiety when she was 4) and that was WORTHLESS! Every idea they offered, I had already tried. After going 4 times and realizing I was paying each time for advice, I already tried, we went at it alone. I can tell you that I have done a LOT of reading. DD is highly intense (she is textbook Dabrowski's theory of over-excitabilities). Like your son, she only does it at home. She knows it is not socially appropriate etc. One thing, that one of my friends who has a GT child as well was told from a counselor her DD was seeing was to follow the same diet that ADHD kids are recommended to try. Basically, we monitor her sugar intake BIG TIME! I can tell you that it has REALLY changed these crazy outbursts! With Halloween just being here, she turned back to her old ways with the candy being around. So much that SHE even noticed it when I pointed it out, and asked me to get rid of it for her! I know it sounds crazy, but it's worth a shot. She was a different child within about a week of cutting her sugar WAY OUT. When she does have it when she goes to a party or what not... it's like 3 days that we know it will be out of her system (I know it doesn't take that long, but she really seems to be affected by it that long.) If you do go the route of counseling, please find someone skilled in gifted kids. I think that was part of our problem, but really, wroking it out on our own worked. We devised a series of "coping skills" for when these outbursts happened. The MAIN thing, for me, was to remain calm. I used to get so upset because she was being so irrational, that it was her strong-willed personality battling mine, that it was a no win situation. I found that speaking very calmly calmed her down. She may be angry for a short bit while I am doing it because you turn emoitions off THAT quickly, but she soon realized she could calm down too. We did deep breathes and that helped tremendously. Now, she just says.... I think I need a hug, because that was one of the things we talked about as a resolution. Never try to have a discussion when the child's emotions are flaring like that. Wait til it all calms down and then discuss it. Now, I tell her she isn't making good choices and that usually ends it with "I'm sorry... can I start over." I never thought it would work but the diet played a HUGE role in the length and frequency of these outbursts! HTH!

Thank you for sharing your experience. We'll definitely give it a shot. Ds doesn't eat much sugar really, but will try to monitor that and look for a pattern.

Thanks!
    Jen

JenSMP #61412 11/16/09 09:02 AM
    G
    G
    I have to agree, if you can't find a counselor used to dealing with GT children than don't go that route. My son has been having panic attacks off and on for about six months. When I spoke to the school counselor she said most of the GT kids have those issues. She gave no new suggestions except seeing a therapist (for me) so I could learn how to deal with his issues not to teach my son. Then after reading (many) articles on the internet I went through the GT Teacher and suggested we get a peer group together (this is middle school aged students). Wow did that back fire. The GT Teacher sent my email to the Counselor and she pulled my son out of class to discuss the peer group. The whole idea for the group was to not single out my son as the only one struggling with this issue. My son was smart enough to say everything the counselor wanted to hear and put it back on me as over reacting. Then he came home furious, complaining about me setting him up to speak with a counselor that in his mind has no clue about people like him. I tend to agree with my son on this one. We are in NJ...anyone out there now of a professional specializing in counceling gifted students in the area?

G&T Mom #61416 11/16/09 09:33 AM
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Could these emotional meltdowns be a symptom of anxiety and panic attacks rather than just extreme perfectionism? Or, do the two go hand-in-hand? Right now, we're at the point of seriously considering ADHD. In fact, so far we've considered:

SPD-was diagnosed at 4 yrs
    ADHD
    Anxiety/Panic attacks
    Perfectionism

I wish we could get this figured out!

CFK #61457 11/16/09 01:35 PM
    B
    B
    I can tell you I thought the same thing.... perfectionism, anxiety, you name it. My DD has them both and yes, I think they all contribute. Regardless what the issue is, getting the emotions under control is what you need to work on.

As for my previous suggestion, My DD never ate a lot of sugar either, but I never realized how much she was getting over time through out the day, until I really started paying attention to labels. Anyhow, being consistent with "coping tequniques" is vital to success. I can't say DD's outbursts are totally gone, but now.... they only last seconds instead of the length they used to. She quickly realizes what she is doing and immediately catches herself and stops. It almost becomes habit as that outburst because their way of coping. My dd was very "intense"... emotionally, physically (meaning labels on clothing bothered her as a younger child... still do sometimes, but not like it used to. She would never wear certain things because of how they felt on her skin. Over stimulation seemed to cause anxiety, lack of sleep brought out the behaviors.... all of these things were triggers. Over time, you learn to know what can and can't bring out a melt-down and try to curb it before it happens (not by distracting so that it won't happen, but to teach the coping technique to deal with it when it does.)

JenSMP #61490 11/16/09 07:13 PM
    j
    Movingup6-How old is child #2 now? About a year and a half ago, we saw this same escalation of tantrums and major frustration. We implemented the 5 minute rule. We'd say, "5 minutes." Then for 5 minutes we would completely ignore him. At first he'd hang on our legs, scream, cry and we'd pretend he was nothing more than a fly. It was pretty funny walking around with a child on your leg and pretending he wasn't there! Pretty soon, he'd go to his room, and scream and cry. After five minutes, only if he'd calmed down, we'd go in and have a conversation. Not long after that, as soon as we'd say "5 min" he'd go straight to his room and stop screaming/crying before he even shut the dooor. Then, the tantrums stopped altogether. Now, here we are again. Dh thinks we should just begin the same "5 min" rule again.
    This sounds like it's worth a try. Good for you for figuring it out in the first place.

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM