Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 255 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    lulu #60619 11/07/09 05:57 PM
    M
    M
    Could someone elaborate on the difference between DRA1 and DRA2?
    I understand the ceiling for DRA2 is 40? Thanks in advance, my girls receive scores for both and I'm curious what the difference is.

Last edited by melmichigan; 11/07/09 06:02 PM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    melmichigan #60620 11/07/09 06:09 PM
    I
    I
    This link has a good chart with the differences
    http://www.sde.ct.gov/sde/lib/sde/word_docs/curriculum/psd/DRA_Q_and_A_EDITED_10_08.doc

1. What are the DRA1 and DRA2?
    The Developmental Reading Assessment (DRA) is an individual reading assessment designed to assess students� reading performance in Grades K-3 and Grades 4-8. A second edition of the DRA has been developed. The DRA2 adds new fiction and nonfiction benchmark assessment books, replaces and revises some of the original benchmark assessment books and modifies the assessment procedures for transitional and extending readers so there is a smoother transition between the DRA2, Grades K-3, and DRA2, Grades 4-8.

lulu #60621 11/07/09 06:38 PM
    M
    M
    My school does not allow children to answer orally. This is the reason that even a PG student I had last year was not able to score beyond a level 30 at the end of 1st grade. I do not agree with our school (and district's) decision to follow the DRA scoring criteria to the letter, but it certainly doesn't impact my teaching instruction in the classroom. It only affects the score that I can report for district and state purposes.

#60634 11/08/09 06:49 AM
    M
    M
    Yes, you are right. The lower levels DO allow oral retelling. But once you get beyond a certain level (I'm thinking 26 or so?) the retell is written. We have the same standard for where to stop testing, but I always test further b/c I think it's ridiculous! For example, I had a child last year who in mid-first grade could not test beyond level 26 on the DRA. When tested with the WJ the gifted coordinator at our school told me that he was reading at a fifth grade level (comprehension) and decoding was middle school level. That gave me more information than the DRA although I did learn through the DRA that he was having trouble sythesizing information and analyzing text so that was what we were working on in class.

mom2boys #60635 11/08/09 07:28 AM
    C
    C
    DS's school only uses DRA for reading group placement. It's not required by our district. I'm suddenly feeling very lucky since he has been allowed to read as far as he can. I do not understand why the DRA2 would put limits on it. The chart Inky posted says that a child should not be allowed to read more than one year above grade level. Does anyone know what the rationale would even be for that?

CAMom #60642 11/08/09 11:39 AM
    I
    I
    This may provide a partial answer but it's one I don't like. mad
    onegradelevel
    Joetta Beaver states in the DRA2 kit, �Students who are reading above grade level should read no more than one grade level above their present grade.� Therefore, when administering the assessment, a student will not need to be assessed beyond one grade level above where he/she is. Meaning, it is the beginning of the year for a 1st grade students. He reads at a level 18 with at least 94% text accuracy and adequate comprehension. The teacher will not need to continue the assessment for that student. She has the information she needs in planning for instruction. More information about this student will be determined from independent reading conferences.
    Personally, I don't like the idea of setting an artificial testing limit because it seems to go against the process for developing talent. It also goes against the supposed purpose of the DRA to identify students' reading level.

P.S. These answers makes me a little less mad, but just a little.
    http://www.lcps.k12.nm.us/departments/Prof_Dev/literacy/faq_Elementary_Literacy.doc
    The DRA should not be given more than one grade level above. The recommendation is that students explore a variety of genres of literature and attention is given to more critical thinking at the level above rather than continuing to go to higher levels.

http://www.pearsoned.ca/school/LanguageArts/dra/dra_FAQs.html
    # Do you suggest a ceiling and only test one grade level above?
    A: In general, it is usually recommended that students not be assessed with texts that are more than one grade level above the students' current grade level. The reason for this is that DRA is designed to guide teacher instruction and students who are truly successful and independent one year above grade level are making it. For students reading above grade level, text levels become less significant. These students should be selecting texts across levels to meet their varied purposes for reading. Keeping in mind that it is important not to get runaway DRA scores where the student is NOT solidly achieving in both oral reading fluency and comprehension.

Last edited by inky; 11/08/09 11:54 AM. Reason: P.S.
    inky #60666 11/08/09 03:48 PM
    C
    C
    Okay, gotta say that's just dumb.

My son is in 1st grade. He is not going to read a 2nd grade text for fiction happily. He gets bored with the repetition, the "said Jack" over and over (to quote Magic Treehouse, the worst offender of this!) and the general contained plot. He will occasionally use a 2nd grade identified text for nonfiction but it's as a starter book to get into a topic, not the whole topic. His critical thinking skills are seriously hampered by a slow developing story that doesn't allow for discussions of metaphors, plot, character traits etc.

It sounds like DRA, as designed, is for the teacher to plan instruction for the middle. I'm happy that our school isn't using it that way!

lulu #60871 11/10/09 12:02 PM
    L
    L
    Just my 2 cents but the DRA is an awful tool. My dd was an early advanced reader. She was writing book reports on 2nd and 3rd grade level books in kindy but somehow when she got to first grade and they used the DRA she could not score beyond 16 in the beginning of the year. The school will test up to 28 but at the end of the year and low and behold that was how much improvement she made. Hmmmm what a miracle. Now the school has started the DRA testing in kindy and my younger scored 14 at the end of kindy - sounds about right. At that time she was probably reading at a mid first grade level. Over the summer she completely blossomed and her reading skills have grown by leaps and bounds. Well what do you know her DRA score in first grade is an 8. Somehow she managed to go backwards. Sorry but from my experience it is complete hooey and used only because the school can assign concrete numbers to reading and show concrete progress.

lanfan #61137 11/13/09 05:20 AM
    L
    lulu Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Wow. What a confusing test! I hope it helps the teachers, because it certainly leaves me confused. I'm now beginning to think it might be closer to DSs level than I originally thought. In school he has no set reading book to bring home, just free choice from the library. At home, although not a keen fiction reader, he really seems to be taking an interest in fiction at last - thanks to Roald Dahl. We've been going through his books from the Enormous Crocodile up to now, Matilda -and with all the humor he loves them. He reads Matilda to me almost without error, and laughs out loud over the funny parts. If he had the chance to read something he found truely interesting, fiction or non-fiction in the test, I suspect he could have reached the score. Not with the writing part though - that I find strange. DS's score was posted both on his 'conference' report, and official school report. It is a bit strange that they would not follow the test precisely, and then have recorded it in this way.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by master of none
    When she got to where she could write her summaries, her teacher congratulated herself for the tremendous improvement in comprehension.
    Since I don't have a "smiley face rolling my eyes" icon, I'll have to go with this... crazy sick

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM