Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #60804 11/10/09 05:31 AM
    OP Offline
    The Left Brain Child thread got me wondering....how do you fellow parents of gifted children view this activity? My son is very talented on the computer and it has extended beyond games but begins there. I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

C
    C
    While I have seen many other kids be completely fine with screen time (TV, movies, gaming, etc.), it has a negative effect on our son unless we severely limit his access.

However, he is very talented with computer work in general. It didn't take him long to master basic programs like word processing and spreadsheets. Several years ago, he learned ALICE (a simple object oriented language for kids) and then jumped into Visual Basic with both feet. Now, he is fairly compentent in VB and can create basic programs for lots of purposes. He also loves Lego Mindstorms NXT and would probably be classified as "advanced" based on camps he's attended with actively-competing teams.

I think that gaming time can be separated from understanding programming. Our son has been working on designing a computer version of a board game that he created, and he gets a lot of enjoyment out of troubleshooting and figuring out how to make the game better from a user perspective.

Not a parent answering, but a gifted former child...video games can be a wonderful gateway to lots of fun educational tech stuff. When I was 10, I did a two-week summer program at my city's science museum where we designed a video game from scratch. We did everything from programming to level design and graphics ourselves - building skills (now that I look back on it) in art, maths, logic, language, and other areas. I also got into web design, which turned into an educational hobby and later a business - while my high school friends were getting minimum wage at McDonalds, I was getting $50 an hour for building websites, plus I had to learn a bit about business to do my own marketing, invoicing, etc.

Beyond that, I would suggest you do some research into video games (or better yet, join in your son's interest and explore them yourself) that are not designed as "educational games", but have plotlines that prompt the player to think deeply about the story and their own choices. For every "Die Hard", there's a "Dead Poets Society", and the same is true of video games.

OP Offline
    zhian,

I appreciate your reply. I like the way you took your interest and took it further. Are you still working in the computer field?
    My take on the gaming is the same as yours, that it is a gateway into more technical and advanced things such as programming. He has discovered a lot of really great tech. information in his quest to improve his gaming. This year he may have an opportunity to learn some real programming from an advanced (gifted) high school student. I think this will be great for him as the high school student will probably show him a lot of great "cheats" and tricks along with the more formal programming making for a more interesting and engaging learning experience.
    I have two older sons (18 and 21) so I am pretty familiar with video games and Yes, good advice, I got involved and shared their interest as well. The son I am discussing in this thread is 8 and he is drawn mainly into rpg games such as Zelda(Wii) and Pirates of the Caribbean (online).
    Do you have any games that you would recommend for either the Wii or the PC?

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by czechdrum
    While I have seen many other kids be completely fine with screen time (TV, movies, gaming, etc.), it has a negative effect on our son unless we severely limit his access.

However, he is very talented with computer work in general. It didn't take him long to master basic programs like word processing and spreadsheets. Several years ago, he learned ALICE (a simple object oriented language for kids) and then jumped into Visual Basic with both feet. Now, he is fairly compentent in VB and can create basic programs for lots of purposes. He also loves Lego Mindstorms NXT and would probably be classified as "advanced" based on camps he's attended with actively-competing teams.

I think that gaming time can be separated from understanding programming. Our son has been working on designing a computer version of a board game that he created, and he gets a lot of enjoyment out of troubleshooting and figuring out how to make the game better from a user perspective.

My son as well can adapt quite the attitude if left on the computer too long. EVERYTHING becomes an intrusion - food, school, sister, sleep.

What type of programming is your son using to recreate his board game?

Actually, I'm a teacher - currently teaching music in Beijing, but starting my MA in Gifted Ed in January.

As for recommendations, I'd have to say your son is in the right place with RPGs. Online RPGs can get repetitive and boring, especially if you're not drawn by the social element, but traditional offline RPGs are known for their strong and thoughtful stories. I'm not sure about what would be appropriate for your son - video game ratings aren't that useful to start with, but gifted kids mature at their own pace, so I'd suggest you read reviews or ESRB pages on some of these and see what you think. That said, check out something from developer/writer Ragnar Tornquist. "The Longest Journey" and "Dreamfall", which I loved, are probably too mature for your son (no violence but plenty of bad language), but "Syberia" might be okay. The development company Bioware is THE name in single-player RPGs these days; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is great, and not just for fans of the franchise. The aging Myst and Monkey Island series are classics, though I'll admit I've never played either myself. Monkey Island is very much a kid's game, and might be too simple for a gifted eight-year-old.

For games a bit more "out there" in concept and execution, try the ones mentioned in this article - World of Goo, Machinarium, and Braid especially.

L
    L
    The problem we have is that my kids, age 3 and 6, are constantly asking to play the video games. They would do them all the time if I let them. I don't think a lot of screen time is good for them. If they are glued to the TV or computer, they aren't playing in other ways. In fact, right now my dd3 is throwing a tantrum on the floor because I told her she can't play the new Spongebob video game that her brother got for his birthday (not my choice - it came from his aunt). I get tired of the begging - it will be a beautiful day here and my son will come home from school and not care about playing in the backyard - he'll want to go straight to the video games. We use the timer a lot. One compromise we have is that if it is educational, I will let them play it more. We have a few that I feel are pointless and mind-numbing - maybe I need to figure out how to remove them from the computer... I'll just tell them they broke??

OP Offline
    I will say LadybugMom that when my son was little(3 or 4) he would throw temper tantrums over losing on a game or being asked to stop playing. He loved them so much that they became great currency in changing behavior starting with the issue of self-control. If he lost control at the game or when asked to stop he would lose his game privileges for the rest of the day or for longer depending on the behavior. He has long since learned to walk away from a game when he is getting too worked up and when told to turn it off I am often greeted with requests to "finish this battle and then turn it off". He only gets really bad if I let him play more than an hour or so.
    As for SpongeBob, I kinda like him although I pretend otherwise. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........

OP Offline
    Zhian,

Where will you be pursuing your MA in gifted ed.? I am finishing up my MA in Elementary Ed. I really wanted to pursue gifted ed. but since there are no state mandates for gifted ed. in Massachusetts my chance of teaching in a G & T program were slim to none.

L
    L
    Update: After she finished her tantrum, she started happily playing with the Mousetrap board game set up on the table.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM