Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #60454 11/05/09 04:03 PM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Ok- I'm a little embarrassed to post this, but I informally tested my son- I'm a speech pathologist and I didn't want to pay money for a test as he's only 2 years 3 mos old.

I did both the Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test, and the Expressive Vocabulary Word Test.
    He scored in the 96%ile before becoming bored and not attending. He hadn't hit the ceiling on either test yet.
    Age equivalents were 4 years, 6 mos for both tests. and the 9th stanine.

I know that these are good scores and that he's bright.
    I guess my question is, when DO you take your kid for formal testing, how do you know they are ready??
    I'm saving these results just as anecdotal evidence as I think it won't count because I am his mom.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Speechie; 11/05/09 04:43 PM.
    I don't have an answer, but I wanted to tell you that I informally tested my DD10 (then 9) with my dyslexia battery. I used the IQ screener and the reading achievement test. So don't be embarrassed. We were curious, right? I did request testing from her school afterward, but she's in school so I had someone to ask.

DD12, 7th. Dx'd ADHD/GAD. No IQ test. EXPLORE & SAT just miss DYS but suspect HG+
    P
    P
    Hi,

I've heard that testing starts to be an option around 4. The reasons I'm not fully clear on but having read here include the idea that testing is done mainly to help with educational placement or planning (ie is acceleration something to consider or would enrichment type activities/pullouts etc suffice), thus not really needed earlier than about 4. And then another comment I've seen a few times is that repeating testing too frequently (even every other year may be too frequent) will cause either learning of the test strategy thereby inflating results or boredom with the test questions so they don't complete them.

I'm curious though if anyone knows if earlier testing is reflective of later results? If it is but only for some kids, which ones, can one tell at the time of the test whether it was representative of the child's abilities? Is it a matter of a younger child being able to complete the testing due to attention span, or is something to do with age-based norms?

My DS2.4 is refusing to answer easy questions. One of his favorite things to do is get quizzed on dinosaurs. Most of the questions I can think of he now won't answer as he's heard them before, but if I come up with an new way to ask the same question he will -- like he will simply say "no" if I ask "what was the smallest pterosaur" but if I ask, "What pterosaur could fit on your plate?", he will. He's also started saying the numbers out of order (while giggling) as a new way to count, after we read a book with a silly character who couldn't count in order. (disclaimer -- all quiz-like games are entirely at his request). His newfound interest in refusing easy stuff works well too to hide his normal counting or question-answering accuracy and thus we currently are in a relief-phase of avoiding some awkward conversations about his age. But the humor/refusal would be bad for testing though.

Polly

We had a friend who is a speech pathologist who asked to test our eldest DS at about 2.7 years old with the Peabody. She mostly works with the other end of the spectrum and was anxious to see him in action. He scored 99.7% and ceilinged out after several hours of testing (she started him really low so it took a long time).

We chose to do formal testing about a year later to advocate for early entrance into K. DS took the SB-V, WRAT-4 (based on 5 year old norms) and the BRACKEN (includes school readiness assessment). His age during this round of testing (3.9 yrs) was an issue that they believe factored into his scores on the SB-V (particularly in the non-verbal area). We will need to retest.

Having the test scores certainly helped us to gain credibility when we were talking to schools, etc. So I would try to wait until you really need the test scores for advocacy/admission purposes. Additionally, your DC needs to have a sufficient attention span/focus, needs to follow directions and be comfortable communicating with a stranger. It is a rigorous process! Our very outgoing DS actually loved the testing process but my more-reserved DH has very negative memories of being tested (multiple times) during his childhood. This has a lot to do with the personality of the tester and the personality of the child.

Anecdotally, DS's % score on the Peabody at 2.7 was exactly the same as his verbal IQ on the SB-V at 3.9.

Mom to DYS-DS6 & DS3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM