Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 125 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #60365 11/05/09 12:36 AM
    Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    This post is really a vent. Yesterday we had a homeschool board game day, and the adults were discussing games for young children. One mom shared that her kids were SO into games that they'd worn out Monopoly Junior and Scrabble junior. I have never had much use for the junior version of games, and my kids have been able to play the regular version of Monopoly from age 4, if not earlier. I never really thought about it as a gifted thing- I just have long held the impression that the junior versions are dull and way inferior to the real games. I mentioned that I/my kids didn't like the junior versions of most games. The other mom went off about how her kids were game FREAKS from a very early age, and proudly declared that even her four year old was playing games now. She was bragging, no doubt about it. She was very loud and had the attention of a whole table of parents.

I found myself unable to answer without making one of us look bad. So I said nothing. This is sticking in my mind and I am wondering how I might have explained without looking like I was bragging or putting her kids down.

C
    C
    In that kind of situation, I find questions are often more useful than statements. E.g. I might have asked "What are the differences between the junior and the adult version, then?" (even if I knew, but actually, I don't!) or "What are you thinking about introducing them to next?". Of course this does invite her to keep talking, and so maybe saying nothing was a better choice in this case!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    O
    O
    I think she is sensitive about this for some reason that has nothing to do with you. Sometimes people just take things the wrong way.

Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I guess what's difficult for me is that it is part of a repeating pattern. I find myself continuing to get into awkward situations with this woman, who is very nice really, but tends to monopolize conversation and do a lot of bragging.

Originally Posted by Lorel
    I guess what's difficult for me is that it is part of a repeating pattern. I find myself continuing to get into awkward situations with this woman, who is very nice really, but tends to monopolize conversation and do a lot of bragging.

Does she remind you of 'Topper' in the Dilbert cartoons? Chances are, everyone sees her that way. I'd just envision 'Topper' and go on my way.

I
    I
    I found myself unable to answer without making one of us look bad. So I said nothing.
    I'm impressed with how you handled it and don't see a better alternative.

M
    M
    These situations are always hard. I might have said my kids have only played the adult versions and asked what she liked about the junior versions. Junior Scrabble was great for DS4 when he was 2-3 and couldn't have played the adult version yet. He also liked Junior Clue at about the same age, but Junior Clue really has nothing to do with the adult version. It's more like Candyland. Junior Monopoly, on the other hand, is very similar to the adult version, only, in my opinion, more fun and interesting for kids. Instead of paying rent at Marvin Gardens, they buy tickets to go on the roller coaster or the bumper cars. I've recommended it to friends.

This post is really a vent.
    Ahh pull up a chair!

There are days when nothing reallys seems as good as it 'should be' and it drives DS13 and me crazy. That drives DH crazy, because - guess what - we aren't perfect either!

Here's our beef of the moment: At DS's highly reputed public high school it's very rare for kids to go to the top schools. DS is starting to get the feeling that whenever he talks to any adults at the school, their answer to everything is 'oh, don't stress yourself, just drop to a lower track in that subject.' He thinks that there is a 'don't stress yourself' attitude that discourages kids to aim high, and feels 'left out.'

I encouraged him to make some new friends amoung the higher achieving students. I also reminded him that when he grow up, he'll move to a different town, and everyone will be all full of themselves and bragging about their kids (this is where the Monopoly Jr. comes in) and that will be really irritating too - because we have that 'outer directed perfectionists' and we will never be at a loss for things that irritate us.

Now Lorel, I'm not saying that your are being an 'outer directed perfectionist' here. But if you are - embrace it! And I don't know how to make this person more palatable, but if you think of my DS just yearning for a couple of braggy, full of themselves folks to challenge him to aim high, maybe it will help.

I find socially that 'beggers can't be choosers' so if you do decide to keep her on the invite list, perhaps some silly comments that exaggerates the situation might help move the conversation along to the next person.

Good luck either way!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    S
    It's tough, doesn't seem like a right or wrong thing to say. DS5 has always LOVED board games and I find when I bring up board games people ask "oh what does he like to play?" I then am unsure how to answer as all the games we really play are adult games. I try to find a few that are more kid oriented....checkers, yahtzee...as it would be awkward to say things like "scrabble, blokus, set, mastermind, equate" Especially awkward to talk about how he often almost beats me. I just avoid saying anything most of the time. Unless I am with friends because they know all about him and know it is just how he is and it is not a competition. I try to avoid being around people that compare children...it really irks me.

Last edited by shellymos; 11/05/09 10:46 AM.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    There are days when nothing reallys seems as good as it 'should be' and it drives DS13 and me crazy.

<snip>

... we have that 'outer directed perfectionists' and we will never be at a loss for things that irritate us.

shocked

This is completely off-topic, but my jaw is on the ground - I have never seen myself described so succinctly! I didn't know there was a name for me!

Does this mean that when I get irritated with myself for getting irritated at every little thing around me it's called "inner directed perfectionism"?

Oooh, goody, more research I can do!

grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM