Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    If during a discussion about asynchronous development and your DC, an educator said something to the effect that they knew somebody who was accelerated two grades and it was the worst thing ever to do socially?

O
    O
    I would think they are not for accelloration.

J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    LOL, yeah - I think that's a safe assumption. Could just be me, but it didn't come across well, given the conversation.

I
    I
    My interpretation - sick cry mad eek

Sorry

J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Oh, and the educator is the GT teacher. I didn't come away from it with a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Originally Posted by JDAx3
    If during a discussion about asynchronous development and your DC, an educator said something to the effect that they knew somebody who was accelerated two grades and it was the worst thing ever to do socially?

I'd think they had limited experience with one child. And they placed a lot of importance on being socially accepted. But I wonder if that one child was socially accepted by his age peers before the skip? And I wonder if anyone ever taught the older kids that it was socially unacceptable to reject another person solely on an age difference?

No, I don't think you would come away with anything even approaching a good feeling... frown

I think I'd recommend "A Nation Deceived" for the person. I might even order a copy for the educator. A gift!

Kriston
    J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by inky
    My interpretation - sick cry mad eek

Sorry

I'm pretty sure I went through all these expressions in the immediate seconds following the comment.

Originally Posted by OHGrandma
    I'd think they had limited experience with one child. And they placed a lot of importance on being socially accepted. But I wonder if that one child was socially accepted by his age peers before the skip? And I wonder if anyone ever taught the older kids that it was socially unacceptable to reject another person solely on an age difference?
    The person who was skipped was a family member of the person I was speaking with. I was a bit perplexed by an anecdotal experience coming from an educator in an official capacity, not that he/she isn't entitled to a personal opinion.

Originally Posted by Kriston
    No, I don't think you would come away with anything even approaching a good feeling... frown

I think I'd recommend "A Nation Deceived" for the person. I might even order a copy for the educator. A gift!
    I'm left with an impression that this is not a person likely to change his/her position or concede that it's not *always* a bad decision.

I actually found myself explaining that it was not a decision made lightly and there was a great deal of support and recommendation from staff (teacher/principal/psychologist) at the previous school. I hate that I felt compelled to do that, but I was taken aback. This is such a different experience than we've had before.

A lot of "GT teachers" aren't educated or experienced in teaching gifted kids. They can have the same backward ideas about giftedness that most general ed teachers have and their opinions often don't count for much.

OHGrandma has hit the nail on the head with acceleration: gifted kids have few or no peers, which is what makes it difficult to make friends; it has nothing to do with age. Unfortunately, they won't have many peers in a higher class either - older kids, like adults, may be able to match or exceed their knowledge, but they will never match gifted kids' intelligence. Therefore, I say it's best to choose their educational path based on its academic merit, not its social.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM