Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #60028 11/02/09 08:43 AM
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    With gifted children, why do we see these so often: perfectionism, anxiety, sensitivity, sensory issues, difficulty with anger management?

Do these just go hand in hand with giftedness? Is it related to asynchronoous development? Is it neurological? Does it have something to do with heightened development of certain ares of the brain? Is it chemical? What's the link?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I'd really like to understand the physiology behind this connection. Thanks!

JenSMP #60030 11/02/09 08:46 AM
    IMO... Nothing scientific about it. GT kids are not only smarter, they seem to be "MORE" of everything! More sensitive, More anxious, More, More, More!!!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    BWBShari #60033 11/02/09 09:20 AM
    LOL Shari , I completely agree.
    When I had my DD6 tested (for IQ) the way it was described it to me is that they are so much more aware of their surroundings, but don't know what to do with the information yet because of their age. Some of it gets better as they get older smile

Skylersmommy #60037 11/02/09 09:35 AM
    http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/dabrowski.htm

You can also google Dabrowski and/or overexcitabilities. There's lots of info out there.

HTH!

Kriston
    JenSMP #60043 11/02/09 10:27 AM
    You also have to consider some selection bias.... If a kid has no perfectionism, anxiety, sensitivity, sensory issues or emotional difficulties... how likely is it that his parents will bother finding out that he's (happily) gifted?

In our case, DS is happy, calm and even-keeled. No sensory issues, not much anxiety (no more than anyone else in the family, but it is something I keep an eye on), no anger management issues or other emotional or behavioral difficulties, no potty training issues, tests well, reads social cues and subtleties like a psychic, takes on challenges without blinking, turns on a dime as needed... He was clingy as a baby, but at the time I thought that was normal.

I don't know why he doesn't have issues, except that we only tested (IQ) because of some early verbal quirks, and (achievement) because of the homeschool laws here. I could see never having realized he was anything more than just a good student, if a few little things had been different.

Erica
    KAR120C #60062 11/02/09 01:21 PM
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Erica,
    That makes a lot of sense! We found out ds was gifted because we were trying to rule out ADHD. It just didn't seem to fit exactly. I still don't think ADHD is a longshot, but we have much more info now. I doubt we would have ever considered reseraching it without the issues. We knew he was bright, but we probably would have left it at that without the problems. Thanks!

JenSMP #60064 11/02/09 01:46 PM
    M
    M
    As I recall, this book tries to explain the connections:

A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children
    By James T. Webb, Janet L. Gore, Edward R. Amend

Dottie #60103 11/03/09 05:52 AM
    R
    R
    Perhaps with gifted children they just have a hard time mixing with their same-age peers.

My little'un is said to be intolerant of his class mates and doesn't mix well. Well, intellectually I guess he's at least 2-3 years ahead - who wants to be wasting time doing "the earth year is 365 1/4 days" when your head is with Einstein and relativity? (Dottie - you know our history)

Imagine spending all day with kids, and only kids (not teaching 'em of course). You would very soon get quite hacked off, bored, morose......

Last edited by Raddy; 11/03/09 05:52 AM.
    Raddy #60106 11/03/09 07:13 AM
    N
    Nes Offline
    N
    Personally I think when your peers are worried what they are doing Saturday night and you're worried about the world economy collapsing, and global warming, and quarks and quasars... it's natural you'd be a little more anxious wink.

I hate to say this (sorry guys) I think it also has allot to do with how more gifted children are raised, in cases where the parents don't properly acknowledged their children's gifts/special needs (again, personal experience on this one).

Nes #60582 11/07/09 04:26 AM
    M
    M
    I always thought it had something to do with them being at different stages of development i.e chronological age, emotional age and intellectual age being all over shop.I know when my son was in infants and early primary school he couldn't abide any form of cheating or what he perceived as being unfair. There were no shades of grey everything was black and white. He would never say anything at school but when he got home he was SO angry over things like the other kids not playing soccer at lunchtime by FIFA rules

Thinking back I validated his feelings at the time while also attempting to explain to him why other kids do the things they do.

He grew out of it by about 11. He's 16 now and we haven't had any of those dreaded teenage years. Hmmmm, maybe those early years were it.LOL.

matmum

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs