Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #60026 11/02/09 08:36 AM
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Wow! I just had to share the good news. I know it's just one day, but we started the point system recommended by breakaway4! Thank you very much! Ds earns points (push pins in a cork board) for certain behaviors we'd like to reinforce and loses points for others. We have a "store" where he can purchase items such as toys, art supplies, TV time, computer time, or a game with mom or dad (there are others as well). He has to save up points in order to purchase items from the store. We also incorporated a little math/money lesson into the system. For example, he is able to trade in 5 one-point push pins for a for a five-point push pin, etc. We have 1, 5 10, and 25 point push pins. He LOVES it, and we didn't have one meltdown all day!

We are also using the character board that someone else recommened. We have a bunch of positive character traits on a poster board with velcro "buttons" next to each one. I made 2 velcro-backed stars to hang next to the particular trait he is displaying at the time.

I'm also letting ds choose which lesson he wants to do and set the timer for a designated period of time for that lesson. We stop as soon as the timer goes off unless he requests extra time. We are also using this as a chance to learn to tell time. He's picking that up pretty quickly.

I also made an "I can't" trash-can. Whenever he says, "I can't" he drops a slip of paper that says "I can't" on it, into the little trash can. It's been an eye opener for him, and he quickly stopped saying it. I think he only has two in there today. That's huge for us. Each day, if there are fewer "I can'ts" that the day before, he gets a bonus point on the point chart. The funny thing is, he said, "I think I'm going to get a hundred of them today so I'll be sure to get my bonus point tomorrow!" We might have to adjust that plan a little!

Someone else recommended having ds choose his own punishments for disrespectful behavior. I tried that last night, and he said he should have to go "around without any clothes on" the next day. Huh?! Where in the world does he come up wiht this stuff? I guess we won't adopt that method at our house! crazy The good thing was, it made us both laugh and diffused the situation quickly.

Anyway, I jut wanted to share the good news. I know it's just one day, but I'll take that! Because of the time change, ds was up and ready to "start school" by 6 am. We are already finished, and ds is gone to spend the day and night with the grandparents. I'll take that too!

Jen

JenSMP #60034 11/02/09 09:23 AM
    E
    E
    congratulations!!! 1 day is plenty to be proud of. I hope it is the beginning of many more

M
    M
    That's great news! Thanks for sharing!

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    What a fantastic day! smile

Tiz #60047 11/02/09 10:48 AM
    J
    J
    Great!!!

I love the "I can't" thing!

Jamie B #60048 11/02/09 11:07 AM
    B
    B
    That's wonderful! Enjoy your peaceful afternoon, and savor your success!

That is great news Jen! Glad to hear things are working out. There will still be bumps but it sounds like they will be fewer and farther between. Thanks for sharing!

J
    J
    AWESOME!!!!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM