Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Chaj), 114 guests, and 42 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    avenlyspray, sobadiet, MelodyLeigh, kristen508, karam2008
    11,451 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    Carolyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Hi everyone!... Wondering if you've had experience with science acceleration?...Thinking this might be a good move for our DS...4th to 6th grade...Thoughts???

C
    Carolyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks for the reply Dottie smile and hello everyone!!! Currently DS, who is in 4th grade, is getting pulled out once a week for 5/6th grade math, and he is doing Stanford's EPGY at home. The reason why I'm asking for a possible science acceleration is because he has started in the classroom, as what he describes as his "dream bubble" It seems that he is completely tuning out the teacher and is going into his imaginary world ...sigh. They just got done with an electricity unit and the class worked with snap circuits, which he had already mastered in preschool. His teacher is really trying with him and the school is in the process of finding a science mentor for DS, which I am very thankful.....Still though, wondering if I should shoot for a science acceleration??? He has the passion and VERY much wants to jump ahead into 6th grade science (Older brother is in 5th grade) The meeting to discuss this is next week, and I still don't know what to do. I hesitate because on his current classroom tests, he's sloppy, forgets to fill in answers etc...etc...Though he knows the stuff! Ugh. How do I explain that he deserves the switch when he isn't "cooperating" on the current tests??? I'm also wondering if I'm getting ahead of myself...When I first mentioned science acceleration, they were receptive to setting up the meeting to discuss...A few days later, DS comes home and says he met a "new" tutor who asked him all sorts of questions of what he's interested in etc...Supposingly he is going to start meeting with her regularly. Plus, received an e-mail saying they are looking for a science mentor for DS. PLUS, g/t teacher has welcomed DS into her program starting in the winter (once a week) DS is in First Lego League, participating in the science fair....Am I just being greedy asking for an acceleration??? The school really seens to be trying. I am so grateful. Should I just put it all on hold and see how these future accomodations work out??? Should I still meet and go through the whole dang process "just in case"....PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Hi,

I don't have any experience with science acceleration, but my DH and I both have science degrees and we tend to focus a lot on science in our general everyday life of learning. So take this for what it's worth.

I think what your school is doing is fantastic. Science is generally taught in a spiraling curriculum, looking at the same topics over and over, just in more depth with each passing year. It sounds like what your school has already set up with him is a chance to increase the depth of his study. Too, with the individual attention of a mentor, he should be able to delve into more complicated math-based analyses of science topics, as well as topics of his interest. This might not be the case if he simply moves to a different grade level. He'd still have 30-ish other kids needing to learn at the group pace.

I'm generally a person all for acceleration as needed (my two youngest are grade-skipped). I wonder, though, how your 5th grade DS would feel about his brother leap-frogging him? Maybe save your energy for later acceleration efforts since the school does seem to be trying so hard to meet his needs.

I'd say, at least for now, go with all the options your school is offering. They're trying and seem to have thought this through and your son gets INDIVIDUAL attention! If you need to meet again later to tweak the plan, then you can. Maybe his mentor can encourage him to just jump through the hoops of his regular science class since he will be getting a chance to learn new things with him/her. Maybe he could specifically call what happens in class "review" for the more in-depth work they do on the topic together (call a spade a spade and not have to pretend that it's anything more than review for him, not condescend to him).

Last edited by mnmom23; 11/04/09 11:03 AM. Reason: Add stuff

She thought she could, so she did.
    C
    Carolyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Hi mnmom...Thank you for your reply. You helped put everything into perspective, and after reading your response, I could see a lot clearer...Thank you!!! You're right, individual attention is so much better. For now, I'm going to go with what they are offering and hold off on acceleration. Thanks again! smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)