Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 193 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    That sounds like a good start. I ran a mathlab for 2nd and 3rd graders for two years. It was a good way to get to know the teachers, and to show them that I am willing to put in the effort to make enrichment work for my kids and for others.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Update: I met with DD's teacher today, but don't feel like we made much progress. Here's how it went:

DH and I went in, armed with some gifted articles, dd's test scores and work samples. We started off talking about how we want her to learn how to learn, how to take risks, etc. We suggested options like testing out of math units, working on EPGY math instead, going to a 4th grade classroom for math, reading higher level books and doing independent projects for reading. We showed where she's working in EPGY (currently the 3.6 level, but it's still a little easy). Her teacher pretty much shot down every idea, but to be fair, she seemed to feel completely restricted by the curriculum she's required to teach. She referred us to the principal to find out if any of our ideas would be possible. She also didn't seem to give much weight to dd's achievement or ability test scores, and even said that dd didn't really seem that advanced to her in reading comprehension (though she scored in the 99.6th percentile on the WIAT-II!!).

I was able to catch the principal on our way out. She said we'll have to go to a "guidance team" meeting to see about any acceleration options, though she also shared with me that she's only seen full grade skips done twice in the district, both times with disastrous results (her words). However, she took a copy of dd's test scores, and seemed to imply that she might have some pull in where dd is on the wait list for the full-day gifted program. (Background--dd was denied entrance to their program primarily based on a 'creativity test' score, and, though I can't prove it, her adhd issues. It's another long story.) smile She also said there should be no problem with dd doing other work in class, including EPGY, though I think we're still going to need to address the "instead of" not "in addition to" issue.

So, we'll wait and see. The principal said she'd get back to us by Monday about the guidance team meeting. I'm also running the Star Math program in dd's class, so I know she'll have at least 6-8 slightly challenging math problems per week. (Yes, that's what the "advanced" math program entails.)

Oh, one other take away from the meeting--dd's teacher mentioned that she'd talked with the full-day gifted teacher about the gifted curriculum, but the gifted teacher couldn't share anything about it with her because it's apparently completely confidential. Does this seem odd to anyone else?

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Trillium
    Oh, one other take away from the meeting--dd's teacher mentioned that she'd talked with the full-day gifted teacher about the gifted curriculum, but the gifted teacher couldn't share anything about it with her because it's apparently completely confidential. Does this seem odd to anyone else?
    Yes, it does seem strange. I'm picturing the kids signing a gag order at the end of class, LOL. wink
    Hope the principal gets her moved into the full-day gifted program soon.

Originally Posted by Trillium
    I was able to catch the principal on our way out. She said we'll have to go to a "guidance team" meeting to see about any acceleration options,

Did you get that meeting? How's it going?
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by lilswee
    Hugs. We're in a similar boat. DD8 started math acceleration last week. We had no idea of the routine since we missed the meet the teacher for 4th grade. She absolutely froze on a pre-test (for various reasons-long story) and attempted none of the questions.

Hi Lilswee,
    Did DD8 work things out with the teacher?
    Grinity

Trillium,

You may want to look up the Iowa Acceleration scale. It is an objective measure of the suitability for acceleration. The "Guidance Team" may want to reference it as well. You may want to look around for other districts in your state that do provide for acceleration and look at their policies.

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/iowa_accel_scale.htm

As for confidential - unless its related to Privacy Laws, nothing is confidential. That always concerns me.

L
    L
    Hi Grinity, just noticed your question. Last month we had a face to face that didn't go much better. The principal and 3rd grade teacher were great. DD8 likes the teacher in question, though, and wants to stay in the class. We haven't had any more test issues, other than they feel the need to keep giving her more tests.

After all the Hupla, her progress report was good, report cards this week. Judging from the weekly grades that come home, the grade may be a little lower but I didn't write everything down. When I try to ask the teacher if there are any issues, I get the feeling she just sees me as another pushy obnoxious parent (maybe I am-who knows) and to leave her alone. My intention is to ask questions and make sure that after all of the hupla last month that I help reinforce any issues that DD8 may have in class with attention or whatever at home.

I do think the DD8 is challenged learning the new processes in 4th grade, testing, having to read the questions, and not having cues from someone to check her work. Learning that checking your work is important since if you miss 1 out of 6 your grade is significantly lowered. Most of her errors have been due to being careless and mis-reading versus learning new material.

The latest email from the teacher in question was fairly terse but said she is doing fine. The latest development was that the school wants to give 4th grade benchmarks instead of 3rd grade. Initially they told me they would benchmark with the 3rd graders to ensure nothing was missed for end of year testing.

Originally Posted by lilswee
    I get the feeling she just sees me as another pushy obnoxious parent (maybe I am-who knows)
    LOL Lilsweetie! No one has all the answers!
    Glad that she is learning a bit - Yippee!
    Grinity

L
    L
    yes learning something is good smile. My prediction is that will we be status quo pretty soon though but at least expectations are higher.

P
    P
    No, it's not unreasonable to expect a response within a day or two. Maybe the teacher doesn't know how to respond, or maybe she's intimidated in some way because you've done advanced work with her. I've gotten that response from my kids' teachers, although it was not intentional. I think knowing that I teach advanced high school math puts them on the defensive.

I would recommend a face-to-face meeting at this point. If the teacher already feels defensive, emails will only exacerbate those feelings.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM