Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 269 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #59776 10/29/09 10:01 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    I saw there was an EPGY thread but this didn't seem to fit there.

My question regarding EPGY is how does it compare to the math levels in the schools? My K student is currently at 2nd grade levels. Can I show this to the school to have them more appropriately handle math when he is in 1st grade?

Here is his current data:
    Number Sense: Integers 2.09 98 % ( 839 / 852 )
    Number Sense: Decimals and Fractions 2.13 100 % ( 21 / 21 )
    Geometry 2.15 100 % ( 120 / 120 )
    Logic and Reasoning 2.18 95 % ( 143 / 150 )
    Measurement 2.11 97 % ( 103 / 106 )
    Data/Statistics/Probability 2.11 96 % ( 72 / 75 )

Also I know he's running high 90% but he still doesn't seem to have his addition/subtraction facts down when 'under pressure' should I worry or request they move him up? I've been keeping him going by telling him that the program is 'learning what he does and doesn't already know' so he has to do his best to show it so he doesn't have to do it again. He buys this - he is only 5 after all, lol.

CourtneyB #59860 10/30/09 12:57 PM
    I think showing the school the types of problems he is doing, and his scores would work better than looking for a 'conversion chart' - afterall, each school has a slightly different idea of what is 'grade appropriate.'

I would 'hothouse' the math facts a bit if you plan to ask the school to give him more appropriate math ( and why wait until next year - BTW?) since most elementary school folks have a very concrete idea of 'what Math is' -

Understanding 'Infinity' would be less impressive than instant math facts in most places - sorry to say.

So in a way, I reccomended some gentle hothousing to help the school 'understand' what they are seeing.

((shrugs))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #59886 10/30/09 05:29 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks smile

I have been (at his teacher's suggestion) turning in worksheets that he has been doing. This gives them an idea on what he is capable of but nothing is really happening in regards to K more for 1st grade next year.

His K is 1/2 day and it seems like it would be hard to have him do much in class that is more level appropriate because of how the class is run. So far all we've managed is to get him reading and doing 1st grade worksheets (comprehension) at phonics time instead of doing the too easy reading. That and he was tested to do AR but has so far only been able to take 2 quizzes (he's got a list of 14 waiting to take, lol) - so they know he's mid 2nd grade for reading/comprehension.

We do stuff at home with him which since it's 1/2 day is ok, won't be ok to 'have' to do his learning only at home next year. He pretty much needs to be in K - I don't think he'd be ok in the 1st grade class but who knows maybe he'd be fine, it's hard to say. He's definitely an emotional boy and I'm not sure how that would fly in 1st grade - not to mention he still won't go use the potty all the time when he needs to. I don't think he feels he can interrupt or even just go (and he'd have to leave the classroom in 1st to do this)

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent