Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    M
    M
    Physical ability to write and ability to write one's name is two different things, just for the record. Your DS probably physically "writes" like a 3 year old, which would make you think he needs more help, when in fact, he just needs his body to catch up to his brain!!!

I think you are right about this. I am fairly certain that he just needs a little more time for the fine motor skills to continue to develop. He will make the letters out of other objects, which tells me he understands how to form them.

Last edited by Molly; 10/29/09 10:39 AM.
    A
    A
    Wow, this is really similar to what my mom sent me from their school....DD is 2.7 and has completed all but 3 thing on thr list although she has started to do each of those things, just doesn't have them mastered!

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    J
    J
    Molly - take the / out of the first "quote". wink

M
    M
    Wow! My dd is farther along in her "kinder" skills than I thought! And yes, we have the "writing like a 3 year old" issue here! Her body isn't up to speed with her brain either! LOL!

E
    E
    The kindergarten goals here are more advanced. My nephew's class is already reading sight words, spelling, and dictating stories that they then copy. Our state is not highly ranked either, but I'm surprised that they haven't started the sounds. Sounds are typically done in preschool around here, and started again in the first week of kindergarten.

The skill that is often a challenge for a young K child, or a skipped K child that has mastered the academic portion, is the motor and/or fine motor skills. A child may be able to even write short stories, but their printing lags. They hold their pencil heavier or press too hard or have the wrong grip; some draw letters instead of forming them in the proper order which slows them down even more. (It can be hard to break habits when you have a kid that loves to write.) Come first grade they need to write fast enough to pass the timed drills.

For this reason sometimes it is better to skip first than K. But some HG kids, and especially PG kids may never have a good fit due to asynchrony.

L
    L
    I do think that the stated curriculum is not necessarily the same as what happens in each classroom depending on the teacher and mix of kids. For example, I have noticed since we moved DD8 to public school that some teachers seem to "meet" the requirements and assume that those that need more will learn anyway and others will actually be able to provide more for the kids who need it.

L
    L
    Wow, those first goals are low.

Last edited by lulu; 10/29/09 11:40 AM.
    J
    Jamie B Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I'm hoping that if DS is able to skip into 1st they are good about not penalizing him for his handwriting realizing that that will just come with practice.

I know that in DSs class at the rate they're going they'll just finish this list by the end of the year. And like a lot of people that responded here he knew most or all of this before he was 3.

R
    R
    the goal list posted first here sounds similar to my schools, however i know a kindergarden teacher and she says that most kids come in knowing half, and many all, of the curriculum, but its the job of the kindergarden teacher to bring all the kids up to a similar level so they can just GO in first grade. That kindergarden is an "equalizer" because all the kids come from different backgrounds, full-time preschools, dayscares, no preschool, etc. So its my feeling that i would not necessarily use any list like this as a developmental checklist.

Originally Posted by renie1
    the goal list posted first here sounds similar to my schools, however i know a kindergarden teacher and she says that most kids come in knowing half, and many all, of the curriculum, but its the job of the kindergarden teacher to bring all the kids up to a similar level so they can just GO in first grade. That kindergarden is an "equalizer" because all the kids come from different backgrounds, full-time preschools, dayscares, no preschool, etc. So its my feeling that i would not necessarily use any list like this as a developmental checklist.

It's good to know how many other kids in the room can do most of the items, and if they are supposed to sit quietly while the teacher helps the others catch up.
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM