Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Val), 215 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #5927 12/14/07 07:45 AM
    Mia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Further to our meeting with ds's school last week to discuss his "low" MAP scores, we have several options. Right now, in the school's mind, B should stay in K for the rest of the year, no pullouts, no math differentiation beyond harder worksheets. They do reading groups, so he's closer to his level, though his DRA level is *far* below his recreational or instructional level (I'm guessing fatigue, as he read all 28 levels in one sitting).

So, this is a WWYD thread.

The way I see it, these are our options:

1. Do nothing with school and work with B at home, getting his math to the point where they'll be happy to skip him at the end of the year. According to the Iowa scale, he's a "good" candidate for a skip. Would he be fine in K? Of course. Is it the best thing for him? I don't think so. In fact, I think second grade next year would be completely appropriate for him.

2. Write a letter formally requesting that the Iowa scale be performed with Benjy, and the results adhered to. I don't know if this would work, or if they could/would come up with a reason to keep him in K.

3. Write a letter to the school expressing our concerns about the MAP test he took, citing his WPPSI results in math, possible fatigue, unfamiliarity with the test. Our main concern is that the MAP tests in a very specific way -- the questions are not set up in the way that Benjy would necessarily recognize, even though he knows the concepts. It also does not test *how* a child learns -- so a gifted learner with less exposure won't do as well as a child with more exposure to the test type. With this, request again that B do first-grade math pull-outs, at least on a trial basis, and continue considering a full-grade skip come autumn.

4. Combination of 2/3.

I'm afraid that if we drop it for now and try again for a full grade skip to second in the fall, we'll be given more run-around rather than a quick and simple yes/no answer that will give us time to plan.

WWYD? Or, ha -- W *did* YD? smile

Last edited by Mia; 12/14/07 07:50 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity.

Mia
    All of the above? Yes. Good luck. I think this will work out. You want to get your kid to expect a challenge - at home if not in school - as part of a balanced life.

Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I'd say go with your gut, Mia. What you're saying sounds pretty well-thought to me. The formal letter is, of course, a good call.

Any idea what the response is likely to be?

Kriston
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Mia,

Have you requested 2/3 informally (2nd personal meeting with specific plan) at first? I live in a smallish town and everyone knows everyone. I am amazed with what can be accomplished personally more than any other way. If it doesn't work, then I'd do the letter, so they know you're serious and not going to give it up.

Cym

Yeah, I agree about not letting it go if what you really feel is best is a grade skip in the fall. We dealt with a similar situation where the school refused my request to move MrWiggly up to 2nd grade math in the middle of 1st grade. He was HORRIBLY bored and starting to act out. When they refused we pulled him from math all together, doing partial homeschooling the rest of the school year. We let the school know THEN that son would be ready for 3rd grade math and needed to be tested BEFORE the school year started.

It worked for us. They tested in August and agreed to 3rd grade math. He's doing great - straight A's, even in 3rd grade math! And I think it helped the school feel like they had some control over the situation. And I think using the Iowa Acceleration Scale is a great idea - just ask that the school team sit down with you at a meeting to complete it together. We donated the manual to the school as a goodwill gesture.

I'd suggest leave him where he is if he's okay with it, supplement with home stuff to help keep him learning. But let the school know NOW that you want to look at a full skip for next fall. Good luck!

Originally Posted by dajohnson60
    It worked for us. They tested in August and agreed to 3rd grade math. He's doing great - straight A's, even in 3rd grade math!

Woot! ((that's DS11 speak for Yippee!))
    Trinity

Mia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Would you guys mind looking at my letter draft? :-) I think it's too long, but I can't decide what to take out ...

Dear Mrs. Principal:

Having met with you several times to review our son Benjamin's academic planning and various assessments, we'd like to express our concerns and hopes regarding Benjamin's placement at Madison School.

Benjamin took the MAP Mathematics test December 5 of this year. Based on his results in the Math II section, we understand that he is not eligible for first-grade pullouts under Madison School's standard guidelines.

The MAP assessment is designed to measure what a student has been taught, but not how a student learns. Since Benjamin has not received formal instruction in mathematics at home, he has not been exposed to the format of questions typically taught in school and used on the MAP test. However, Benjamin's privately administered WIAT-II scores show that he has a specific aptitude for math reasoning; his scores in that area were in the 99.9th percentile for his age. We feel that Benjamin's ability in mathematics is much better demonstrated on his WIAT results than on his MAP results.

Looking at Benjamin's extremely varied performance on the MAP test, his achievement scores on the WIAT-II, his ability as demonstrated by his IQ scores on the privately administered WPPSI-III, and our own observations of our son, we feel that Benjamin would benefit from pull-outs with the accelerated first-grade math program. We ask that Benjamin be granted a trial period to assess his ability within the group, with the MAP results used as a guide to shore up weaker areas.

We further request that the Iowa Acceleration Scale be completed as a guide for Benjamin's educational planning. His reading is well advanced; his DRA level places him at the beginning of third grade, and his WIAT achievement test places him at the 99.9th percentile for decoding and comprehension. Benjamin's mathematics scores have been at or above the 98th percentile on all standardized tests given, with the exception of the MAP Math II. His social development is well on par with that of his peers, and he has no significant behavior issues. We therefore believe that academic acceleration needs to be considered for Benjamin.

We are willing to arrange a telephone conference with Dr. Elizabeth Mika, the psychologist who administered Benjamin's individual IQ and achievement testing, for further consultation, if the school feels it would be helpful.

We appreciate District 69 and Madison School for their long traditions of excellence and thank you for your dedication to ensuring the most appropriate education for our son.

Sincerely,

Too long? Thoughts? Is it too soft? Too pushy?

This is the first time I've done this! crazy

Mia
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Very very nice, Mia. No, I don't think it's too long. Wish you could write my advocacy letters...Good luck!

Originally Posted by Mia
    Would you guys mind looking at my letter draft? :-) I think it's too long, but I can't decide what to take out ...

Dear Mrs. Principal:

We are willing to arrange a telephone conference with Dr. Elizabeth Mika, the psychologist who administered Benjamin's individual IQ and achievement testing, and has shared with us how important X accomidation can be for B, for further consultation, if the school feels it would be helpful.

Mia, letter very good. I like Dottie's idea.

I would change 'further request' to 'formally request' - I'm so agressive sometimes!

I would consider making it a tiny bit longer, by adding above words in red. Not sure I would or wouldn't but it flashed through my brain, so here it is. Either way - send the letter, see if you can get DS's Dad to sign, but send it.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Very well written letter. I don't think its too long at all. Very good. wink Let us know what response you get from the school! Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM