Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    D
    D
    Exeter has a very generous financial aid program for families with incomes up to $200,000 and beyond. For boarding students from families with incomes between $75,000 and $200,000, the average grant is over $27,000. This means that 95 percent of families in the United States are at income levels that, depending on their circumstances, could allow them to be eligible for financial aid at Exeter.

This helps!

I
    I
    Wow! and this too:

Exeter offers a free education to any admitted student whose family income is $75,000 or less

M
    M
    I don't know if this will be helpful or not (bear in mind that musicians only need to be able to count to four!, so I am probably very far from having much to offer on the math front), but a book we've been reading lately sprang to mind as I read through this thread: Moses Richardson's "Fundamentals of Mathematics" (Macmillan, 1941; OOP, but there are editions up through 1973, so lots of copies around). It's a textbook Richardson developed to teach the one-year compulsory math course for humanities majors at his university; while he presupposes previous exposure to elementary algebra and geometry, "almost no accurate recollection of the details of these subjects is prerequisite for this book" (vi). He thinks mathematics has a great deal to offer students who have little need for technical skill in the field, and his objectives here are to give the student:

"(1) An appreciation of the natural origin and evolutionary growth of the basic mathematical ideas from antiquity to the present;
    (2) A critical logical attitude, and a wholesome respect for correct reasoning, precise definitions, and clear grasp of underlying assumptions;
    (3) An understanding of the role of mathematics as one of the major branches of human endeavor, and its relations with other branches of the accumulated wisdom of the human race;
    (4) A discussion of some of the simpler important problems of pure mathematics and its applications, including some which often come to the attention of the educated layman and cause him needless confusion;
    (5) An understanding of the nature and practical importance of postulational thinking" (v-vi).

In service of these objectives, he examines several topics (number theory, algebra, logarithms, impossibilities, analytic geometry, functions, limits and the calculus, trigonometric functions, probability and statistics, finite and transfinite cardinal numbers, euclidean and non-euclidean geometry), using the sense of mathematics "as the totality of logical (hypothetico-deductive) systems and their applications" as the organising principle/unifying theme throughout. He points out that while some of the book looks "hard," "the early fundamental paragraphs of a so-called 'advanced' subject, presented at the proper level are often easier to grasp as well as more important and more interesting than the later technically complicated paragraphs of what has traditionally passed for an 'elementary' subject" (ix, vi).

Now obviously, our collective kids are not first-year liberal arts majors, but it seemed to me on reading this thread that this kind of approach might for some people be both very useful and rather intriguing in regard to our kids and their unusual needs. Like many others here, we are bumping up against algebra early, and this struck me as one possible means of slowing things down, as well as laying a pretty thorough grounding in a real understanding of mathematics; especially for homeschoolers operating outside of the system, anyway, I thought I'd toss this out there as an idea. I worry a lot about math, since Harpo seems pretty good at it, and (standard academic dodge) it's not really my area.

I could be completely out to lunch about this book, though! Anyway, so far, both Harpo and I are enjoying this book a lot (I've only had it since Canadian Thanksgiving, though, so we're only a few chapters in at this point).

Hope that helps somebody (or at least wasn't completely irrelevant)--

peace
    minnie

I
    I
    Originally Posted by minniemarx
    Hope that helps somebody (or at least wasn't completely irrelevant)--
    It interested me enough to track down a copy. Thanks!
    http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-Mathematics-Moses-Richardson-Leonard/dp/0023996900

^^we have this book, I think?
    DH used it with younger kids when training for Math Olympiad.
    I think we even got it from Math Olympiad side???

DD starts tonight. I will report back.

First class is over. It went extremely well for her! I was /still am actually shocked!
    I always judge how my kids understand the material by the way they can respond in the classroom. DD had over 10 published responses and right after class she jumped into assigned homework.
    So far very well smile

M
    M
    I found this, and thought it might interest some (I don't know anything about it, but thought it looked kind of keen):

Problemoids Math Challenge Program (Bill McCandliss, Albert Watson, Royal Fireworks Press, in 3 volumes).

http://www.rfwp.com/series42.htm#119

There are some other math resources on that site that look interesting, too.

peace
    minnie

^^ like I have said previously - great return policy!
    I like your location - middle of the mess... smile

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by kcab
    Ania - I'm thinking you or Val might know something about the elementary school math path outside the US. My impression, which is possibly completely incorrect, is that in Europe math education proceeds more slowly up until 7th grade (then speeds up for those on a math/science track).

(Joining this thread late.)

The approach to teaching maths in the French system is quite different from what I've seen in US schools.

French math classes move somewhat more quickly than US classes, but not wildly so (eg, they start doing multiplication seriously in late-ish second grade). They also go more deeply and seem to make a greater effort at ensuring that students understand concepts.

For example, the idea of tens is taught by showing boxes with up to ten balls in them. Once a box gets filled, you close it and it becomes one ten instead of ten ones. This idea feeds nicely into regrouping: you take a box of tens out of the tens area, move it to the ones area, open it, and turn it into ten ones. Does that make sense?

I know that US schools teach regrouping, but I've never seen an American example that's as crystal clear as the French method. Plus the French method is used all over France and no one wastes/duplicates effort on designing their own methods.

I don't know about mathematics at the higher levels. The most I can say is that my husband worked for a French company for a while and he always talked about the exceptional math skills of the French employees. And I think that math education in other countries is even better (Russia? Finland?).

We noticed big differences between the French and US approaches when our DS was still in 1st grade.

HTH,

Val

Originally Posted by master of none
    And I'm debating keeping the kids in public school for the good math, or sending them to private for the good writing curriculum.
    Wow MON! Of course each kid is different, but I'm thinking - keep public for good math, and send them to CTY online during the year or over the summer to the summercamp for the writing. Who wants to pay for private and then pay more for 'enrichment?'

Wink
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets