Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    J
    J
    Min-that's "funny". DS doesn't like mean people and scary music either! DS was also "weird" with what he was/is afraid of... he can watch every Star Wars movie, no problems, but up until last year, he was scared of Dory in Finding Nemo.

I showed the WWTA previews to Mr W and then asked him if he wanted to see it. "NO!!" He likes the book.

He is all over Dinosaur Live, though.

K
    K
    Grinity (or anyone!) - how would it compare to Harry Potter movies? Both my kids have seen all of them and have been totally fine with them. This was one of our all time favorite picture books when the kids were smaller, so I'd love to take them to see it. Especially since it got such fabulous reviews. We really thought it would be a dud when we saw the first previews.

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    The Harry Potter movies have the 'bad guy gets it in the end' resolution that makes it 'all better.' This movie, I think really aimed at grownups who appreciate a work of art crowd, doesn't.
    To me, that makes all the difference.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    T
    T
    I just want to add one thing about the Harry potter movies... The first one is really nasty. The scene when he(the evil professor) takes off a turban and gets a face on his bald backhead. I'm still put off by it ^^ Definately #1 creepy scene of all Harry Potter. Other people I know don't agree..

Min Offline
    TommyH, I have to agree, I forgot about the Quirrell scene at the end. The boys found that just as scary as the Dursleys. lol.

T
    T
    It sounds like I would love it, ds not so much. He is extremely sensitive to movies, especially in a theater. I never thought of sensory issues, but that may be it. He gets overwhelmed and so emotional over even G movies! I've always thought he was just sensitive to the drama of the music and lights and pictures.

N
    N
    My DS has only been to movie theater once, when he was about 4 for summer day time showing of Clifford. We had to leave the theater, it was too loud for him, he did not like the experience at all. I think that it is very much due to the gifted oversensitivity.
    I have not brought up going to the movies since, and neither has he.
    I do remember, when I was pregnant with DS at about 8 month, I went to movies with DH. Practically the whole movie the little one was kicking so hard (especially at loud scenes), that I thought I would give birth right there and then. LOL

N
    N
    Thanks, CFK.
    That is a great idea. I have never though about that. You are right, that it may look a little strange but it would not bother DS, if it would be for a good reason.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM