Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 270 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #59061 10/22/09 07:20 AM
    L
    lanfan Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I thought i was over this. My dd8 is in the gt program at school and doing really well. There has been a lot of controversy recently about our gt program becoming diluted. I just found out that it used to be that only kids who scored 140+ on a full scale iq were admitted. My dd has had on FSIQ of 131 and a verbal of 138. So it seems as though we are part of the crowd diluting the program. Those of you out there, and I know there are many, with 140+ kids how do you feel about this issue. I am wondering if my dd really belongs in this group. It is hard to get my arms around. She really seems to be near the top of her class but I know our school typically has about 20 kids qualify under the old standard each year. It is very confusing.

CFK #59066 10/22/09 07:36 AM
    L
    lanfan Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    It is a full time academic classroom. Some of the kids are well beyond her in math and math is an overall focus but she is still holding her own. She can handle the curriculum and does some of the optional challenging math. On the reading,science, etc she is doing fabulously well which is why we love it so much. I just hope she is not reaping the benefit of someone else's frustration. I have to say though looking at the work around the room she seems well suited.

CFK #59071 10/22/09 07:50 AM
    L
    lanfan Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I'm sorry for your son and the private school bills! Thank you for the reassurance though.

lanfan #59072 10/22/09 07:54 AM
    K
    K
    I definitely think this programming should be there for MG-HG kids and it's fabulous your daughter is enjoying her set up and is being challenged. But there should also be additional programming or flexibility available for those beyond that level as well.

We have a full time gifted programming in my city we were really excited to get into. But it's really a very base GT program that works great for kids that are happy in a regular classroom, perhaps working between grade level and 1-2 grade levels ahead. Almost half the student body at our old school would qualify for this program, so it really wasn't all that much better than what we had before. This is the best our city has to offer. I've written several letters on this topic to our school district (none that were acknowledged!).

kimck #59073 10/22/09 07:57 AM
    L
    lanfan Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I sometimes wonder why they can't elevate the general curriculum for the masses and then provide additional enrichment/acceleration as necessary. In fact I sort of think institutionalized standards for grade level accelaration is the only thing that would really work.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations