Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 433 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Kriston #5904 12/13/07 11:34 PM
    DS, now 12, immitates accents.
    His best impersonation is of a hindu male trying to fix a computer problem.
    No offence to any of you that speak with indian accent. I have an accent too :-)
    Now thinking about it, his second best impersonation is of his own dad !

Ania #5905 12/13/07 11:36 PM
    Both of mine do accents all the time. Indian, British, and Irish are the favorites

Kathi #5907 12/13/07 11:41 PM
    Mine can do a full, twenty minute conversation, LOL.
    He had computer problems with his laptop so he did spend a lot of time on the phone recently. Now he just asks people - so what country/city are you in? And then begins to talk like them.
    Now, as I think about it, maybe he is making up those problems to just talk to these people???
    He is having the time of his life...

Ania #5918 12/14/07 06:48 AM
    I like playing chess with DS11 and occasionally with his friends when they come over. With one friend we dreamed up the idea that before each turn you could draw a card that would have various directions on it, such as "Move any of our oppponents's pieces on the board, as long as it's legal," or "Choose a piece from your graveyard and place it back on it's begining square as long as the square is unoccupied." or "give up a piece"

If we ever did make such a deck, I would stack it so the better player got more handicaping cards and the other got more helping cards, as it is more fun for all if the players are evenly matched.

Other tricks we have used is to 'give odds' where the more experienced player starts with pieces missing, ususally decided together. A favorite other trick is to allow the beginner to call switch, and change positions at will. Personally, if I can maintain enough attention to avoid making any blunders during a game, I count that as a personal win. If I can recover and keep trying after a blunder, that's a personal win also!

When DS and I play I usually win, but Oh! there are a million cliff hangers. I'm trying to teach him that there are are really good reasons to follow the accepted wisdom. He tends to have certian natural advantages over me, although he's read much less. I'm not actually 'good' at chess, just good at having fun with chess. Although if anyone has suggestion about online chess sites, I might be convinced to play.

Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    gratified3 #5952 12/14/07 10:39 AM
    Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Oh the accent thing, I totally forgot about that!! DD7 loves speaking with an accent and is incredibly good at a British one! Maybe thats partly why she is so good at theater. wink She can be such a chameleon!

Last edited by Tammiane; 12/14/07 10:39 AM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM