Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #5852 12/13/07 12:55 PM
    Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    This was touched on slightly in another post but I wanted to elaborate on it. We can test all day long for math aptitude, reading, cognitive function etc but what about their creative side? Its not as easy to measure but it is certainly a valuable asset!

Is your child creative? Does he/she have an artistic side? If so, lets hear about it! laugh

Mom2LA #5855 12/13/07 01:02 PM
    Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Dd loves music. She has an unusual ability to memorize songs after hearing them once or twice. Currently she's in musical theater and that is where her heart is. She lights up when she's performing! I love that she has an outlet like this where she can feel totally free!

The other day she came up with something that surprised me. She decided that she was going to invent a remote controlled flying broom! She had 7 pages of plans for her "prototype". Her broom has two seats, one in front of the other. It is propelled with two model rocket engines (I dont know where she gets this stuff), one facing down, the other facing the rear. There are remote controls as well as ones actually on the broom. She has no landing gear yet. She forgot about that! What I found interesting about this was not if she was going to ever actually attempt to make this but just that she had this unique, creative idea that just came from within. I love that creativity!

Mom2LA #5856 12/13/07 01:03 PM
    acs Offline
    Well, DS does have the ability to think creatively about multiple choice and t/f questions. He can spend a lot of time trying to make every wrong answer work and then giggling about it. Can cats fly? Yes, if you put them in a CAT-a-pult.

Sadly, this does not always translate into high test scores!

acs #5858 12/13/07 01:04 PM
    Mom2LA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Oh, acs that is funny...and clever! hehe!

Mom2LA #5868 12/13/07 01:44 PM
    D
    D
    Six years ago, when my son was newly five, he was in the habit of singing the lyrics of one Christmas song to the tune of another. He could interchange them quite easily and flawlessly. Of course we were used to him by that point, but this little parlor trick that he came up with stunned even DH and I.

Mom2LA #5869 12/13/07 01:45 PM
    K
    K
    This is a great topic. I was at the NAGC conference on parent's day last month and the key speaker was speaking to this exact issue. I cannot find a link to it on their website now. He was modifying the entrance requiements of the university he's at to not jut rely on SAT scores, but to include creative writing and problem soloving in their applications. It was a really fascinating discssion and he was trying to draw the parallel to younger kids and how some very gifted children may be easily overlooked by the standard group tests. And how he was at Harvard (I believe) and the admin there wouldn't really let him pursue this for their admissions.

Both DS7 and DD3 have amazing imaginations. DS7 is always trying to find new and different ways to solve dilemnas around the house. DS7 is also really creative on the piano and composes little songs that sound like backdrops for scary movies.

kimck #5884 12/13/07 06:13 PM
    DS6 is an author-illustrator. His latest is a 12-page epic about the Transformers (no, he's never seen the movie or the TV show).

As an aspiring author, naturally I'm pleased as punch! But if he doesn't grow up to be an engineer (like his dad, uncle, and both grandfathers...), I'll eat my hat!

smile

P.S. He can be anything he wants. He just has all the early earmarks of an engineer.

Kriston
    Mom2LA #5889 12/13/07 06:42 PM
    L
    L
    My son loves doing musical theater. When he first started at age 4 he would sing everywhere he went, even in the grocery store, and while he didn't like to read out loud in front of his Dad at that age, he would make up his own tune and sing the words as if he were singing in a musical.

He is most creative in the things he says and is good at making up jokes to fit any occasion.

Lori H. #5892 12/13/07 07:18 PM
    My son learned to play chess when he was 4--his dad taught him. They enjoyed playing for a few months, but it was getting harder and harder for dad to beat him. Dad didn't understand how his son could look out the window, look around the room, then turn a make a move that would have Dad reeling. He thought his boy was just plum lucky.

Well, my son got bored of the game after a few more months. One day he set up the board with gates made of out of Legos in the middle of the board. "Dad, this gate is yours--you can only come to my side of the board by going through your gate. And this other gate is mine--I have to use it to get to your side of the board."

He's often taking things and trying to improve on them--or make them more complicated to play!

Kathi #5897 12/13/07 08:08 PM
    Ooh! I want to play that version of chess! Fun!

Kriston
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs