Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 238 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #58841 10/20/09 12:14 PM
    T
    TommyH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Hello!

I am sorry to bother you, but I have no where else to go, to relieve my mind of endless subjects.

I am a sixteen year old boy, and feel different from other people my age.

Even though I share many of the traits of gifted people, I'm unsure if I really am one when I read about the amazing feats these children have managed to do.

What I am, is nothing extraordinary to the naked eye, and so I fear for rejection in this audience. I'm going to try explain it anyways.

I'll start with an example. One day, I thought about punishment for criminals. My mind shifted through different opinions. I had the opinion of a good person, and an evil person. I meant that the criminal was a scum, and should be disposed, and at the same time, I meant that every person deserves a second chance, or unlimited chances.

This is just an example, that my alignment is splitted. My thoughts agree with both.

Another thing is that my conscious is wierd. I observe how I feel from a third view. It's like I got two layers of conscious. I know that a good comedy will make me happy, and I've observed how quick that can change when my parents nag me. I feel my mother has the same problem, she easily bursts into being really mad and complaining at everything, and the next day she loves me like nothing ever happened.

I have never but once succumbed into rage, but that was a long time ago when I still was a child. I can see myself getting really angry, and the other day I felt like throwing my cell out of the car because of frustration(I had forgotten my bag on a bus, managed to retrieve it later though.), but on the other had, I know that anger leads to nothing, so I stay calm.

I like being alone, because I've learned that the people in my surrounding always want me to be something I'm not, they always want me to do chores and they are just breaking the balance. I feel balance when I'm alone in my room, listening to calming music and far away in my thoughts. Which is what I call tranquility, it's like a perfect harmony in me.

I'm observing everything that happens inside of me, but it has its flaws. Like I can make wrong assumptions and I start thinking wierd and overcomplicating things.

More about what I like. I am an academically failure, or at least I will be soon. I feel like I am drawn towards things of learning. Why am I reading all these articles on gifted people, and using all my time on it? Why did I in my younger ages let myself be drained in the Wikipedia pages about WW2? History teaches our faults. And Giftedness is what advances our civilization, and it also teaches us about uniqueness and genetic varation. Everyone is different.

I am fascinated by the bigger picture, and I'm desperate with getting remembered in the history books, though as I mature I see no way of it happening. I want to contribute.

I read the educational quotes on Hoagiesgifted. And all the quotes there is preaching the exact different message than what modern education is. How come are we so primitive? How come we know all this and practice the exact opposite?

I'm from Norway and I've concluded that the school system is flawed to the maximum. The grades are all about attaining high amounts of spesific knowledge. Our education plan says that we need to understand these specific topics after x'th grade.

I thrived in the first ten grades in norwegian school, but now in the 'high-school' equivilent, I am faltering and failing. I don't remember details and how I write is obviously not synced with my teachers. I thought I was smart, but I'm starting to accept that I'm not. I'm accepting that I'm not as good, because I just aren't made that way. I'm actually attaining reasonable calm with it, as I have lost sight of the meaning of the curriculum I'm presented with.

Another observation, I change as I write down my thoughts, I think it through, so If what I wrote at first don't match with the last I'm writing, that's the reason.

Lastly, I just want to say that I idolize all the parents here, your kindness and love for your children is extraordinary. I am glad you respect your children's uniqueness and I hope you become good example for other current and future parents. I believe that all children have a genious in them, it's just a matter of giving them the will, the support and the inspiration to pursue it.

Thank you for reading. Any thoughts, any advice, just an assessment and viewpoint is appreciated. I just don't want to be alone.

Welcome TommyH,

I am glad that you are here with us, and thank you for your lovely compliment.

Giftedness is what advances our civilization, and it also teaches us about uniqueness and genetic varation. Everyone is different.

I think that this is very interesting idea. Actually I don't think that intellectual giftedness is what advances our civilization - i think love is what does it!
    Love of learning, love of family, love of our neighbors, love of acheivement, love of being in history books, love of our destiny.

But I do think that every person is unique, a gift from god if they are intellectually gifted or not. So, I say to you, school is not meeting your needs right now, you are not able to show your gifts and talents. See if you can find a mentor to help you get what you can from the system, or find a new situation. To be honest, I breezed through elementary school and middle school, and it was only in High School that I started to understand that developing my unique gifts was going to be painful! Then in college it got 'really painful.' This doesn't mean I wasn't gifted, or got less gifted, just that I had to learn how to study.

A book I love about this is 'Learning Outside the Lines.' Wow!

Anyway - I think you are very insightful to realize that writing is a way to know what is on your mind, and I hope that you continue to write to help you think. I also think about things from so many perspectives, seemingly all at once, that if I don't talk or write to someone who I care about, I would never know what I believed at all!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    T
    TommyH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I think that this is very interesting idea. Actually I don't think that intellectual giftedness is what advances our civilization - i think love is what does it!
    Love of learning, love of family, love of our neighbors, love of acheivement, love of being in history books, love of our destiny.

I was referring to people like Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton, but as I read your reply I started to think differently. I think there's a candle in all of use. An unborn star. I feel, many people who have achieved great things, like the Founding Fathers, Ceasar, Stalin, JFK etc. had their candle lit. They illuminated our universe and our history was changed forever. Bad or good deeds, history teaches us what is right or wrong by the use of consequenses. I'm not saying that bad leaders who killed many peoples were good, but I'm saying that their actions are people shaping ones. It is like a burning soul.

I need to find this book somewhere, I will ask my parents if I can buy it with their card on the internet ^^ (It didn't show up in our library.)

Anyway - I think you are very insightful to realize that writing is a way to know what is on your mind, and I hope that you continue to write to help you think. I also think about things from so many perspectives, seemingly all at once, that if I don't talk or write to someone who I care about, I would never know what I believed at all!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Thank you, Grinity. Your insight is extreamly helpful. It really moved my heart when I first read your reply, I seem to find home with people who I am alike.

I don't want to be invasive, but could you tell me how you went through your early adulthood? Nothing intimate of course, but I guess you understod that.

You see, when people is around 18 here, they will go out and drink.. And I really just feel like not to. I tried it once, but I didn't really get drunk, even though drinking fair amounts. No, it's not necesarry to discuss that. At least it feel horribly inappropiate in a forum where people are talking about their much younger children.

Another funny thing is that I got along with much older people. I get perfectly along with my brother who's 9 years older than me and his friends.

And of course, I am socially challenged.. So I've always thought about getting a girlfriend (I'm super sensitive about this.) but these days I don't think I have the time! I'm afraid I'm going to fall off track if I lose focus.. I really just want someone that understand me.

I'm revealing my life because I feel safe... I think people feel safe with people who are foreign... Actually quite funny, I was on a bus in Orlando, Floride last christmas, and some american ladies just started to converse, and a few moments later they was revealing their hardships with overweight sisters and their lives.

Me and my family was like 'keep it to yourself', because that's how things work here we live. But now I see that it's healthy to get things out...

I should do this with a psychologist, but I don't know where to find one smirk I don't even think a psycologist would understand, or respect me the way you do... I'm sorry I'm not giving you money for what you're doing. You deserve it, you're helping countless of lives Grinity :P

Even though, If you're like me, then you're probably just happy to help the community. If I could help anyone, I would do so as well!

Thank You,
    Tommy

J
    J
    Have you talked to your parents about this? What about your school? Is there one teacher that you have that you feel really close to? Maybe you can talk to your brother?

Originally Posted by TommyH

I was referring to people like Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton, but as I read your reply I started to think differently. I think there's a candle in all of use. An unborn star. I feel, many people who have achieved great things, like the Founding Fathers, Ceasar, Stalin, JFK etc. had their candle lit. They illuminated our universe and our history was changed forever. Bad or good deeds, history teaches us what is right or wrong by the use of consequenses. I'm not saying that bad leaders who killed many peoples were good, but I'm saying that their actions are people shaping ones. It is like a burning soul.
    To my mind, common, ordinary, unknown people are often the ones who make the difference - but it's harder to notice. One example is the neighbor who makes phone calls for a polital candidate. Another example is when we 'win the hearts and minds' through local friendships with parents who don't have gifted kids, and they vote to increase the school budget so that more gifted kids can be accomidated in school. Also, I like to suppose that if Hitler, as a boy, had had one more level-headed and caring mentor that he would have grown up to be a different man. Of course no one knows this - but who knows how many 'there but for the grace of god' kids are out there who are helped by a caring adult? Since we will never know these answers, I choose to believe the perspective that help me get up in the morning. ((shrug))
    Grinity

I need to find this book somewhere, I will ask my parents if I can buy it with their card on the internet ^^ (It didn't show up in our library.)

I really liked this book because it addresses an area called 'Executive Function' in a usable way. The authors of the book happen to have ADHD and a Learning Disability. They met at one of the US's most 'exclusive' colleges, so we can assume that they are gifted, at least moderately so, as well. Here, we call that '2E' or twice exceptional. I don't think that I am 2E myself, but I loved this book because my 'study skills'/'rear end power'/Executive Function was very weak after breezing through my earlier years of school. So I want to caution you that although the authors think that they are talking about 'how to overcome a disability' when I read the book, I am seeing good, practical advice for Gifties who never learned to study. I found that developing good study habits was a lot of learning to tolerate unpleasant feelings. Yuck! But SO worth it. I volunteered to be the 'Kitchen helper Mom' for my son's school activity this weekend. It's all stuff that I hate doing - BUT - I can't wait to finally met my son's classmates and the other parents, and this is what I have to do to put myself in that place - so I love knowing that I CAN do the work, with grace. Self-Disipline. I guess there must be someone, somewhere who can develop this without feeling emotional pain - but not me! And yet, what a prize! I have found it helpful to surround myself with other people who have the similar intention do develop their own Self-Disipline, because I don't mind suffering as much in a group.
    Anyway - I'm not meaning to imply that you are 2E. I just think that each person is unique, and getting to figure out how to get the most out of school and find the balance between our authentic selves and conforming enough to get strokes from the teachers is worth reading about, and that the 2E folks have so much to teach about this.

Thank you, Grinity. Your insight is extreamly helpful. It really moved my heart when I first read your reply, I seem to find home with people who I am alike.

I should do this with a psychologist, but I don't know where to find one smirk I don't even think a psycologist would understand, or respect me the way you do... I'm sorry I'm not giving you money for what you're doing. You deserve it, you're helping countless of lives Grinity :P

Even though, If you're like me, then you're probably just happy to help the community. If I could help anyone, I would do so as well!

Thank You,
    Tommy

Exactly Right! I've wanted to help others my whole life because it's fun. I love to be appreciated. Dr. Ruf says that lots of Gifties have an appreciation deficit because they weren't given enough thoughful appreciation as children. This is a relief to me, because I love to be appreciated. Nice to know that this isn't wrong. It still feels like a wrong thing to want - probably because I didn't get much of it as a child, and when I asked for appreciation back then, the Adult response was 'What?' ((embarassed giggle!))

Should you see a psychologist? If you are in any danger, then yes. But it is hard to find the right match. As a young adult I visited several and learned much at times. I also got involved with RC.org which was a great way for me to channel my intensity. I did find that many many people my own age were too interested in self-destructive behavior to be interesting to me. Luckily, in time I found those precious few same-age people, and they introduced me to more of their friends. I happen to be female, and 'attractive' so my struggle to find people to be with had a different slant. Difficult in it's own way, but I always work hard to help my son develop study skills as a child, because I don't expect him to be able to use the same stratagies that I used.

I would reccomend you to spend time with your brother's friends when possible, and look for friends of all ages. As for girlfriends, they do take up a lot of time and energy, so I would suggest that you look for friendship until you are more secure inside yourself - unless something wonderful just randomly occurs.

Welcome Home Dear!
    Grinity

T
    TommyH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Originally Posted by Jamie B
    Have you talked to your parents about this? What about your school? Is there one teacher that you have that you feel really close to? Maybe you can talk to your brother?

I told my mother that I had difficulties in school, but she just said that I had to work harder. She actually said that she couldn't pursue a higher education, because she simply couldn't handle it. I think I'm quite alike my mother, it is just that she doesn't have the solution.

I'm not really close to my father, it's a more respect thing. I love him for the fact that he provides for me with all my needs, but I would never bother him with my mind stuffs.

About teachers... I once had a great teacher, but he's out of my life and I don't want to bother him... I started at a new school, and our 'high-school' is supposed to make you more independant, so I'm not exactly bonding as much with the teachers sadly.

My brother wouldn't understand... We have a more materialistic relationship. I just wouldn't want to be in that situation.

---------------------------------------
    Bottom line is that it sucks to see flaws and not be able to do anything about it. It sucks to ask for help, even though people encourage you to. It sucks to be unwanted, to be someone else just to be accepted. My problems which define me isn't wanted by anyone.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Grinity, I see your point of view about Love... I understand it. Though, I would have never thought about it that way if you didn't tell me. Thank you!
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Thank you a thousand times!
    Sincerely, Tommy H.

Last edited by TommyH; 10/21/09 08:56 AM.
    T
    TommyH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Ugh.. We wrote at the same time ^^ Thank you very much for your replies Grinity... My post is towards everything above your last post!

*I'm sorry about my thoughtful outburst.*

Last edited by TommyH; 10/21/09 08:35 AM.
    About teachers... I once had a great teacher, but he's out of my life and I don't want to bother him... Sincerely, Tommy H.

Send an email or call this person. Say that you don't want to be a bother, and how can you be a helper...that you are looking to get involved with something larger than yourself. Let him know how warmly you remember him. That is a small but key way to bless someone.

We all have days like this. Look up
    Hoagies' Gifted: Dabrowski's Theory of Positive Disintegration and ...Research, articles, and a curriculum unit on Dabrowski's Theory of Positive Disintegration and Overexcitabilities

www.hoagiesgifted.org/dabrowski.htm

I have a lot fewer days like this now since -
    1) I started spending 'cybertime' with people who like and appreicate me.
    2) I got things right at school for my son
    3) I came to accept and understand myself as I am - with all my differences
    4) I started to be able to help others.

Hint, Hint - if you want to feel better, find someway to contribute to another person. Be one of those unsung heros to someone else. Even by posting here your memories of being a gifted child with helpful suggestions, or by posting appreciations to the parents here. But I would encourage you to 'get out of your head' and look at the little positive differences you can make in the world. I know as a parent that every bit of consideratness from my son lights up my whole world. Even learning something from a parent helps them feel better. Are you a good cook? Seems to me like there is always something to learn in the kitchen. All the voices in your head that say 'I don't want to' - they are the enemy! Laugh at them if you can!

smiles - grinity

T
    TommyH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    I edited out a few things from my post, they were negative and should not be recorded ^^

I think I'm gonna send a message to my teacher :P

Thank you for your great and magnificent advice!

I'm going to try to help people more!

I read this article.. http://www.sengifted.org/articles_social/Lind_OverexcitabilityAndTheGifted.shtml -> from the link you gave me.

And I'm like horribly associated with Sensual Overexcitability. It is funny to read about it.

Also, I'm kinda magnetic towards talented people, and I'm really drawn towards you :P I'd love to grow up to have your traits.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM