Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    WOW!!!! I talked to the principal yesterday and she said she is up for a challenge and wants to help my DS. She said she has some experience with gifted and most teachers do not. She wants to get the teacher on board with a plan. Now I need a plan. If you've read my many posts you might realize I need some how to get to have a manageable amount of stuff to talk about. I'm a little all over the place as I feel a bit over whelmed.

My DS is all "A" s except handwriting. We have him doing 3 & 4 th Grade Math. I'm not sure they will condense 3rd Grade Math any more or if it's worth it because his work he only spends 5mins. on this and he is not too bothered by it. I asked DS if he would like to do 2 digits timed facts instead and he said, "no". I'm not sure why but he was done talking about it at this point.

DS knows all his spelling the first day and has 5 days of worksheets to do related. His grade in this class is 100%. They are learning some terms and practicing handwriting. How would I figure out what he could skip? Would a teacher know?
    This work book is among a folder of work he does self paced thru the day so if he skipped some and did something else he would still feel apart of his class. He works well independently. He could skip something else but I'm not sure what to ask for because everything is a possibility.

There are several subjects within this folder that if he could condense the work he could do something else. So any subject(s)is up for condensing. He has many interests and works well independently so that should not be a problem. I'm looking to balance his day not perfect it at this point.

I don't want him to feel like he can just skip something because he is not interested. In school there will be somethings he just has to do whether he likes it or not. The big question is how do we determine what would get skipped? How do I make the school feel comfortable he is learning what he needs. DS has amazing reading speed, and comprehension. He learns very quickly. Also how do I know the difference between not being interested and not being challenged enough?

We have applied to DYS so if we get in there that will help. I don't want to lose time waiting. My DS is not very happy at school and I'd like to start making a plan.

I am not interested in moving him up a grade right now. He does best with changes a little at a time. It would be fine for him to go up to another class but scheduling may be any issue as they have said this in the past. I have lots of ideas about what he could do. I just don't know how to make them feel comfortable to do something else. Letting him out of something needs to not be high maintenance for the teacher. Consistenty works best.

Last edited by onthegomom; 10/20/09 06:41 AM.
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    This work book is among a folder of work he does self paced thru the day so if he skipped some and did something else he would still feel apart of his class.

Does he actually feel a 'part' of his class, or does he feel 'apart' from his class. Is this a typo or a Freudian Slip?

My DS is not very happy at school and I'd like to start making a plan.

Does your DS have any ideas? How does he feel about his current classroom? What can he imagine that would make it better?

OTGMom - I'm so excited that your Prin is on board with trying something. I think it's going to be a process, and you'll have to be flexible and try lots of somethings until you hit it just right.

One idea is to go for a gradeskip, but do it slowly. 3rd grade before lunch and 4th grade after lunch, or vice versa. It's going to be messy, and that is ok.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I
    I
    WOW!!!! I talked to the principal yesterday and she said she is up for a challenge and wants to help my DS. She said she has some experience with gifted and most teachers do not. She wants to get the teacher on board with a plan. Now I need a plan.
    What wonderful news! I second that a good starting point is to look at subject acceleration into a higher grade for part of the day. This would meet the need for changes a little at a time without being too high maintenance for the teacher. If that seems like too much of a change, I recommend you get a copy of Teaching Gifted Kids in the Regular Classroom. You may even want to get an extra copy for the principal if she doesn't already have one.
    http://www.amazon.com/Teaching-Gifted-Kids-Regular-Classroom/dp/1575420899

I don't want him to feel like he can just skip something because he is not interested. In school there will be somethings he just has to do whether he likes it or not.

This is a very real concern. This is one reason why gradeskips are so appealing. In a weird way, they allow a child to just 'blend in and be regular.' at least as much as possible. (Although full grade skips aren't for everyone.)

Things like spelling, you can have him take all whole year's words right now, and have him place out of spelling all together, same with Math. Reading, Science and History is more difficult - as they are so much about process. If they are taught independently, you could let him go through at a comfortable speed, and work on projects you design towards the end of the year. Or you could find some curriculum that reflects his interests and ability and put that into his folder, and give up on getting rid of the time wasters. Depends on the kid.

When was he 9?
    I think I'd really push for a full grade skip ASAP. Our schools cut off is sometime in September, so a kid who is 9 would generally be in 4th grade already. After he adjusted to that, I'd look at subject acceleration in his favorite subjects.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    In a weird way, they allow a child to just 'blend in and be regular.' at least as much as possible. (Although full grade skips aren't for everyone.)
    It also allows the parents more opportunities to 'blend in and be regular' instead of trying to constantly balance on the fine line between advocating for their children's needs and being perceived as pushy.

Originally Posted by inky
    It also allows the parents more opportunities to 'blend in and be regular' instead of trying to constantly balance on the fine line between advocating for their children's needs and being perceived as pushy.
    LOL!!actually rolling on the floor laughing out loud with leaking tears. Oh Yes!

Here's my personal experience with 'in-class differentiation.' Seems I have a lot of baggage on board here. Hold on to your seats:

During DS13's 4th grade class, the school made a really good faith attempt at coming up with interesting assignments for him to do 'in parallel' with the class. DH and I had work tirelessly to advocate and explain DS to the school, and were thrilled that it was finally paying off. DS had friendships and was having a great time in school. DS was also reading under his desk about 4 hours a day. DS was a good deal happier, and I was tempted to 'leave things at that' but I took him to a local pyschologist who mentioned that DS kept talking about 'masking' himself.

So I switched him to a private school for 5th grade, still hoping that a gradeskip wouldn't be needed. Just before school started, the principle (who had always been very supportive appearing) sent me a copy of the note she had written to DS's new teacher in the public school 5th grade. (I had just signed the check for the private school.)

I was horrified to read the note. It described DS as deeply antisocial, a behavior problem, and 'we understand, it's because he's so bright.' I was taken aback, shocked really. Before you all think that there must be a grain of truth here somewhere, there are a few folks here who have met him, and he is really a wonderful kid. I was so grateful that my son wasn't going to have to spend a year with a teacher who had been primed to see him as a 'poor, unfortunate misery.'

What's my point? My point is that we really really do have to get our kids into a school environment that actually gives them what they need, instead of trying to modify, modify, modify to the point of 'nothing left to keep.' I've always heard the informal guideline is that if a child is working within 3 gradelevels of their assigned grade, then inclass modifications can work, but if it's more than that, they will need a combination of changing the classroom AND in class modifications.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

I
    I
    Yes, with DD7 it's been in-class differentiation every year and I've been walking the tightrope. I notice a big difference with DD5 being subject accelerated to a higher grade for reading and math. My feet feel much more firmly planted!

Seriously, I've also noticed a big difference in my relationship with the teachers with acceleration vs. non-acceleration. You can't appreciate a good teacher as much when there's a big disparity between the curriculum and what your child needs for curriculum.

B
    B
    One of the main ways they can "figure out" if a child is a candidate for a full grade skip is to administer the Iowa Acceleration Scale.

THAT IS WONDERFUL NEWS that they are working with you! WOOHOO! One small step for mankind! LOL!

Good for you!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader