Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 368 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #58591 10/18/09 12:55 PM
    N
    no5no5 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    I've stumbled onto DH's test results from way back when we didn't know anything about IQ testing. He was being evaluated for dyslexia (for potential accomodations in college). We really had no clue how to interpret the results, so we just filed it away. But now that I know a bit more about testing, I find his results horribly intriguing. And, of course, I'm having a terrible time finding information.

He took the WAIS-III and the Woodcock-Johnson (both cognitive and achievement), but the report we got only has the IQ scores for the WAIS. It has subtest scores (and what appear to be a bunch of random numbers) but no overall score for the WJ. My research indicates that there's no way for me to compute a WJ score without a special program. frown He's got crazy, crazy scores, both ceiling and basement (if that's the word), and we'd both love to figure out what it all means.

I have looked back through the forum, and it seems like most of the folks on here are more familiar with tests for children (as one would expect), but if anyone has any information or an idea of where I could start, that'd be a big help. smile

no5no5 #58619 10/18/09 07:18 PM
    Can you afford to hire someone? Perhaps a phone interview with Dr. Ruf? You can try sending a private message to Dottie.

Is this still a 'current' issue in any way? Has DH 'found himself' and become able to thrive at work?

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #58648 10/19/09 05:40 AM
    N
    no5no5 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    No, we totally can't afford to hire anyone. DH does have current issues. He is at the top of his very competitive field, but he is there because he is willing to work even harder than his very intelligent, very hardworking peers. So he obviously has found ways to compensate for his weaknesses, but it's not easy for him. And new strategies would be very, very helpful. I mean, we know he is dyslexic and ADD, but it seems like there's more than just that when you see the scores.

And of course, there's the huge gifted denial DH still has. He was called "stupid" by his teachers growing up and locked in closets for misbehavior...and even though he now knows that that was wrong, he still thinks of himself in that way. I feel (and he feels) that actually figuring out what his scores mean can help him overcome some of that.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years