Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 86 guests, and 41 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #58459 10/16/09 01:23 PM
    OP Offline
    I thought we had a pretty good plan for this year in our GT friendly school. DD10 is once grade skipped and further grade accelerated in math and Language Arts. Socially she is doing great, has plenty of GT friends and is meeting new students outside of the GT exclusive classroom from last year.

From day one, she has felt her math class is too easy. I wanted to give it some time, but now they are starting chapter 4 (our of 15 or so)and she has yet to feel challenged. All test grades are 100% and her teacher is going strictly by the book. Last year the GT teacher covered additional material in addition to current curriculum. Next week are parent conferences and I will have a chance to talk to her math teacher about this.

I am not sure if I should give her an "easy year" since last year's skip was challenging for her or if we should keep on the challenging path by asking for another skip over winter break? She is eligible for special programs in science next year if she gets an A in math and a mid year skip might not be a good idea for that. Also she would be with older kids in math if a skip was implemented. I worry about the lack of challenge, but I also wonder if a skip would really make a difference anyway? Should I just be happy with an easy year?

Sorry for the ramble, sometimes it's easier to put all my thoughts in one place. Please feel free to share your experience or offer advice.

Jen

You can try the harder Math and drop back. My son did that when he skipped 5th grade into 6th grade with Honors math with the 7th graders. LOL - we didn't prepare him - opps!

I think that your DD is asking for what she needs. If you think so too - go for it. Are the other classes terribly challenging? It's all about balance!

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    T
    T
    If you decide not to do the extra grade skip because of the science program, you could supplement with extra material at home to keep her challenged in math. Maybe with something interesting like number theory that she will never get in ps anyway.

OP Offline
    Grinity: Thanks for sharing your experience. The next class up would be Algebra (instead of pre-Algebra) and the kids are GT kids, so usually curriculum goes a bit deeper than the book. I have no idea how much challenge the class provides, but DD feels she wants to try it.

CFK: DD is the reason I am even entertaining the thought of a skip. Last year, her teacher was awesome and the class was challenging. This year, the teacher goes by the book and pace is much slower. This year is actually review of last year mostly, She is really more into science than math, but I fear she may lose interest in math.

Truscifi: I like your suggestion as well. I might find something that ties in with science to keep her interested while we work this out.

Jen

Originally Posted by Mommy2myEm
    I am not sure if I should give her an "easy year" since last year's skip was challenging for her or if we should keep on the challenging path by asking for another skip over winter break? She is eligible for special programs in science next year if she gets an A in math and a mid year skip might not be a good idea for that. Also she would be with older kids in math if a skip was implemented. I worry about the lack of challenge, but I also wonder if a skip would really make a difference anyway? Should I just be happy with an easy year?

Jen
    You know Jen, I'm thinking that you can 'test the waters' by giving her a few of the chapter tests that the kids in the Algebra have already done so far this year. That would be a fun way to suppliment at home and a good way to transition into the Math. I'm guessing that you could get them to agree to put her in the honors Science 'no matter what' if she takes the mid year skip.

also - please don't be intimidated that the rest of the kids are 'GT' because the range of GT is huge!
    Best Wishes
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    Well since I was dragging my feet, DD took matters into her own hands. Yesterday she went to meet with a counselor and told her she would like to move up in math. They had a great discussion on her future plans (high school and college), her willingness to catch up missed material and how a skip could be done logistically at this point. She will meet again with the counselor on Friday after she has had a chance to talk to her math teacher and the receiving teacher. I am so proud of her and I really hope she gets what she wants.

Jen

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM