Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    M
    M
    I'm sorry--I hope I didn't sound weird or pathetic or anything...I am feeling frazzled and distracted this week trying to deal at long distance with a very ill mother..I certainly wasn't trying to make you feel nervous, JDAx3! Just trying to give some sense of how things have evolved here for us over time, I guess, or something (more a snapshot than a warning if you see what I mean)...but truly, we love homeschooling, and I am every day so grateful for the opportunity to do this.

The unschoolers (the radicals, I mean) here where we live are a funny bunch, I must say. I know many, many homeschoolers here who believe that even leaving a book out on the coffee table that you think might interest your child is an act of coercion and is not respecting the child's freedom, which must at all times be total. This freedom must also include the freedom not to share toys, take turns, or be polite. It just seems like an abdication of parenting to me, let alone schooling (I of course do not say this out loud, and very likely these children will turn out just fine anyway!). (We certainly unschool some subjects, but don't "radically" unschool any!) But we have indeed had much more success lately in meeting some middle-of-the-road types, too. I also should point out that we are in a very rural area, where the demographic skews much older than average, so there are unique challenges here which will very likely not apply to you, JDAx3, so please don't be nervous!!

All will be well, and of course, it is a reversible decision, so that is a comfort, too. Best of luck to you as you ponder and plan!

Well, you can tell from the prose that my brain is still not firing on all cylinders, but I hope this helps a little, anyway...

peace
    minnie

Last edited by minniemarx; 10/14/09 04:35 PM.
    J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Oh not to worry, you didn't make me nervous wink. I've never been much of a 'joiner' for groups in general, not to say I'm anti-social. Many experiences I've had with established or structured groups, tended to be clique-y and I don't much care for it. I'm sure there are plenty of great groups out there, just as there are some not so great ones.

But no, you didn't make me nervous about that aspect of it, it's my general feeling.

We found a couple of REALLY great groups. We are secular eclectic homeschoolers, and we found some inclusive groups that work well for us. Don't have a bad feeling about it yet. Some areas have lots to offer. Some not so much. But I'm constantly amazed at how many groups and services for homeschoolers of all types are popping up.

Do you know any homeschoolers near you? You might start there.

It's also possible to start a group yourself if you can't find one that meets your needs. All you need is a small core group of people you like and an activity that a fair number of those people will attend regularly. Small and loyal is better than big and not dependable. And regular meeting would be key.

Just a thought...

Kriston
    MAE Offline
    I imagine this book from Joseph Renzulli would have a good learning style assessment.
    http://www.amazon.com/Light-Your-Ch...mp;s=books&qid=1255575628&sr=8-1

M
    M
    Deborah Bell's Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling - really described my Dd well. She outlines different learning styles and suggests the "styles" of resources that would help in teaching.

It also helps, while you're at it, to determine your own learning style. I'm considerably different from Dd, so at times I find myself drifting toward materials *I* want to use, rather than what would work best for her.

I've frequently said that homeschooling parents usually learn *at least* as much as their children! LOL!

~ Mingo and 9yo dd
    I wanted to add a note about the social aspect. Like I said before, we've just been homeschooling for about a month. I feel like it's a bit of a rollercoaster experience at the moment. One days it's the best decision we've ever made, and the next I'm questioning our choice to hs.

I am beginning to feel the isolation a bit. I am waiting to hear back from two homeschool groups, but I, too, am not a "join the group" kind of person. I'm totally doing that just for ds! I like to meet people and am very social myself, but joining a homeschool coop just isn't really my thing. It would be so great if I had friends who also decided to start homeschooling. LOL, not gonna happen!

Ds is fine with getting his social fix through extracurricular activities. I think I'm the one who's missing the social aspect of my job.

Also, another consideration is physical activity. Some days I feel like we are going stir crazy. I need to find someplace to go each day just so we get out of the house and get some exercise as well as interact with other people. Some days I find that hard to do. I feel bad taking ds to the park because there are no kids there! All activities that include other children take place after traditional school hours.

I'm sure this is something we'll work out in time. We're still so new at hs, but I thought I'd share something we are going through now. This lack of connection with other people has spurred our continued search for a good school placement for ds. I visited a Montessori school this morning, in fact. As great as the school is, I still doubt that it's a better fit than hs. I will continue to hs as long as I think it's the best fit academically for ds. I have to say, though, these challenges are nothing compared with what we were dealing with when ds was in his previous school. He's very happy!

Ok, I'm rambling again! Sorry!

J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Interesting...thanks for the mini-update about potential 'problems'. I've been doing some checking into local groups and such, and quite frankly, I'm frustrated. But not for the reasons one would think, wink. In trying to contact people about the groups, I've run into more computer-based hiccups than I care for, LOL. Join this group to find out more info, but the link doesn't work, blah, blah blah. I really have limited patience for these types of things... I'm sure I'll try again, but finding info has been proven challenging.

I was just discussing HSing with an acquaintance here who is considering HSing, as well. So, I'm thinking how nice it would be to have an acquaintance/friend (the kids are also know each other and get along OK) who was doing the same thing, thereby (maybe) eliminating the need to 'join' a group...

I don't know though, still more research to do.

It's still nice to join a group. They're usually cheap/free--costs often just pay to get the calendar of events out to members--and they offer you some activities like park days so that you're there when other kids are and off-beat athletics like skiing and archery. Or even classes offered mid-day at gyms, museums and art institutions. I'm not a joiner either, and we don't go to 95% of the activities, but I'm glad to know they're there if I want them.

Just a thought...

Do *try* to be patient about the link problems, though I sympathize with you there! Remember that these are cheap/free groups run by parent volunteers. Phone calls are often a better choice, I find, if that's an option available to you.

Kriston
    OMG!!! I totally agree about the technological difficulties! Apparently I am on a "pending" list for two groups, but it took me two weeks to figure that out! Still don't know when I'll be "approved." In the meantime, I think I'm going to take ds to a local community private school for some additional classes. They only have 15 students, 10 full time and 5 part time. They assist the middle and high schoolers with their virtual school in the mornings. Then in the afternoon they offer classes for those students as well as homeschool students. We are going to take the science and art classes just to give ds a chance to be with other kids. The only thing is, most of the kids are older than him. He'll probably prefer that, but I just can't seem to shake the idea that he needs to try to relate to kids a little closer to his age. Maye it'll never happen. Who knows? Anyway, I feel your pain with the computer stuff. What a pain. The ones I tried to join don't have phone numbers listed.

JDAx3-it's too bad we don't all live in the same area. We could create one heck of a support group and homeschool coop! I'm in central FL by the way, just in case. ; )

There's lots of empty space in New Mexico!..... We could create our own soviergn nation, GT craziness all day, everyday! At least then our kids would be surrounded by people that get it!!

ROFL!!!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM