Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #58325 10/14/09 06:30 PM
    JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Just wanted to give everyone an update on DS6 currently in second grade. We had our first one-on-one meeting today with the homeroom teacher and GT teacher. Because of the baby it was just me meeting with them as DW had to stay home.

The good news is that I think this was probably the most productive meeting we've had to date, aside from the meetings where we got our actual GT designation.

The first half of the meeting we talked very constructively about DS's current social/behavioral issues. He has a tendency to seek attention and make random noises that can be inappropriate and distracting. It's possible that he has over excitability issues and it's something we've observed at home. The great thing about this part of the discussion is that we were all on the same page and the teacher, I thought, had a very good perspective on things. We were really discussing this as a team effort and the teacher was very open to what I was saying. If you were to observe this meeting in contrast with last year's meeting you would see what I mean. We absolutely have some work to do here and this could be a great growth area for DS.

We then shifted pretty seamlessly into the academic issues. It was a good discussion in that I re-affirmed with the GT teacher that I understand why she's not seeing DS do certain levels of work and I think I got across that often it is a motivation issue with our DS. If he's not interested in something it can be REAL difficult to get him to do anything. Find the right motivation, and watch out! I think I was also able to get across that sometimes if you're asking about a particular concept and expecting a certain explanation--especially in math--you're not going to get the standard second grade answer. This was particularly relevant when you're asking why 2 + 4 = 6 which is the same as 4 + 2 = 6. To our DS it's obvious. It's just not always easy for him to express the obviousness!

Probably most importantly, I got real insight into our district. The homeroom teacher was real open to ideas for DS. However, both of them pointed out that they are severely limited by the admin and they can only do what the admins approve. And that in our district, they absolutely positively cannot do any curriculum out of lockstep with the rest of the classroom.

Believe it or not, this actually got me very excited. I have teachers who want to do the right then but cannot because of admins. So the people that see DS day-to-day (the good and the bad) legitimately want to help. Any concern I had about elevating my advocacy and having people who directly interact with our DS is now gone. The admins may have this policy but I know that PA Chatper 16 means that the school cannot just say no like that. If the teachers are saying they want to help but cannot, then we're actually in a great position.

Knowing this (and not really getting into all of the details with them on where I expect this to go) I then told them about how we'd be fine with having DS do math on the computer using one of the various programs available. And that I have no problem advocating for that. But in order to do that, we'd have to get more details established on his PLEP. Give him the end of year 3rd grade math exam (or an abbreviated version). They were both all for it! In fact by the end of the day I had emails from one of the teachers that they've already started to get things in motion for both a math and a reading evaulation. Once the PLEP is appropriately well defined, we will have a very strong case for the school not making adequate accommodations for DS.

Now it's not that I want necessarily to go to due process or arbitration but if you've been through the process in PA and you can picture where we might be headed, you can see that we are (I think) in a really good position for the next serious rounds of advocation. The teachers are taking the right steps and we're laying the foundation for proving our case. It's just a looooong process. For the first time in a long time I was optimistic about what we can do for DS at school.

JB

JB, I'm really glad to hear that! Still, it sounds like you are going to have to work for it. It's great that they are going to assess his math. I think that's a step in the right direction. You are lucky in PA to have the law on your side.

JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I agree. We're lucky that we have regulations that we leverage. We're unlikely in that you really have to know them and know how to navigate them. I sympathize with parents that aren't aware.

JB

Oh, that is good news! Be sure to talk to Dottie about the process. She's been where you're going, and I'm sure she can help.

It's good that you're all on the same page! Yay!

Kriston
    O
    O
    Wow a teacher that can see the need and is willing to help. Best of luck!

JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    But not empowered. Yet. smirk

JB

J
    J
    JBDad - that's so wonderful to have a REAL conversation with your DS's teacher(s)!!! So refreshing to come out of a meeting with a smile!

J
    J
    What a positive meeting! It seems like the teachers really want to do more for him but can't (which is frustrating) but at least they'll be on your side!!!

Originally Posted by JBDad
    We then shifted pretty seamlessly into the academic issues. .....Find the right motivation, and watch out! I think I was also able to get across that sometimes if you're asking about a particular concept and expecting a certain explanation--especially in math--you're not going to get the standard second grade answer. This was particularly relevant when you're asking why 2 + 4 = 6 which is the same as 4 + 2 = 6. To our DS it's obvious. It's just not always easy for him to express the obviousness!
    JB

JB, our DD6 (also in gr 2) is having this same issue with math. How can she explain something that she has intuitively known for at least a couple of years?
    When we discussed this with her teacher the response was one of confusion. She didn't understand that this was the issue, she thought that DD was simply not doing the work and didn't understand how to explain her work. I'm not real sure she really believed us either when we said that DD just doesn't know how anyone could not know that those things are the same.

Is DS doing a 2nd grade reading curriculum or is he in a different class for this?
    We are having the problem that DD is being required to read the 2nd grade reading book stories 4times a week with the class! After having read it once she can tell the whole story, complete with different voices for different characters. When we asked about it, her teacher told us that she needs DD to help her out with the kids that are having problems reading! We said that she was not a junior teacher and she needed to have more challenging reading work. So, teacher started giving her chapter books and reading assignments from them, but she is not letting DD work on them in class because she is afraid of how the other children and their parents will react when they see DD doing different work! We said we understood, but that it was not being fair to DD to be giving her more work simply because the teacher didn't want to deal with some difficult parents. We're still working on this issue. Any suggestions?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent