As you may know, the National Association of Gifted Children is hosting its 56th annual convention in St. Louis in early November. They are now offering an opportunity to "attend the convention" virtually. I received an e-mail today outlining the details. Check out the webpage (http://www.nagc.org/nagcvirtualconvention.aspx) and see below:

---------------------

Dear Prufrock Customer,

Teachers and parents who attend the National Association for Gifted Children annual convention leave feeling recharged. No one committed to gifted children can leave an NAGC conference feeling isolated. Rather, attending the conference guarantees that you will feel like a part of a community and no longer alone in advocating for gifted kids.

I was fortunate enough to attend my first NAGC gifted education conference almost 20 years ago shortly after leaving teaching to start graduate school. At that first conference, I was able to meet and hear from some of the most prominent thinkers in the field of gifted education. I made friends with other teachers and graduate students, and I was even roped into helping with the graduate student committee's newly launched newsletter. While I left that conference with many fresh ideas and insights, the biggest benefits I experienced were a renewed enthusiasm for helping gifted children and the friendships with colleagues that I made. I haven't missed a single year since!

Unfortunately, the economy has made attending this year's NAGC conference difficult for some, but you can still experience many of the same benefits of attending the conference even if you can't be there in person.

I'm pleased to announce that, for the first time, NAGC is offering a convenient and inexpensive "virtual convention." As a virtual conference participant, you will be able to hear and see important presentations during the conference from any computer that has Internet access. You'll be able to network with other Virtual Convention participants and develop your own network of colleagues committed to gifted education.

In fact, I am so excited by this concept that I contacted NAGC and offered for Prufrock Press to sponsor the Virtual Convention this year.

Don't let shrinking budgets and travel restrictions keep you from being a part of the largest and most informative national conference devoted to classroom innovation, gifted education, and high-ability learners. Register for the NAGC Virtual Convention and experience a full day of content-rich sessions on Saturday, November 7. Virtual attendees will have access to 17 live convention sessions. NAGC is offering three different convention strands: practical ideas for teachers, support for parents, or a focus on critical issues.

Those who register to participate virtually will also be given access to an online portal in which they can discuss topics and post documents in order to reach out to fellow attendees in advance of the live webinars. In addition, participants can optionally receive one university continuing education unit (CEU) for participating in the Virtual Conference.

Visit NAGC's Virtual Convention homepage for more information or to register.

I hope you will consider attending this exciting event!

Joel McIntosh, Publisher
Prufrock Press Inc.

Mom to DYS-DS6 & DS3