Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 304 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    F
    fangcyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    DS7's homeschool (public charter) recommended everybody to take MAP test to determine his progress. We also need it to start the process of getting a grade skip. It is a good source of information for me to see where he is academically. However, he got some high scores and he might top out on this test in the next year or so. The highest scores was 227 in Language Usage, which I think is higher than the average end of the year 11th graders.

What tests can he take after MAP to track his academic progress? I don't need to test him every year, but at some point, I do want to know.

Cindi
    C
    C
    Dd#1 had MAPs scores in the 240 range in 4th grade, so I know that the test does go up to around 250. He should still have some room for growth to show and I believe that the numbers go up more slowly as you get into the highest numbers.

That aside, you can try ITBS or an individual achievement test like the WJ-III or WIAT. Also, he could do above level testing probably next year through talent search (EXPLORE) to see how he compares to kids in grades above his.

F
    fangcyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    He had WJIII already. Nice to know that MAPs go up to 250. I guess they just don't post the norm above 11th grade.

Our talent search is through John Hopkins and they only use SCAT. Which talent search uses Explore?

Cindi
    I have some NWEA MAP test charts that show that the 99th%ile for 11th graders end-of-year Reading RIT scores is 252, and that the 99th%ile for 11th graders for end-of-year Math RIT scores is 277, so each of those tests at least goes up that high. But, I don't know how much higher up they go than that. HTH! Sorry I don't know about other tests to help you track.

She thought she could, so she did.
    I
    I
    Here's the link for MAP Norms. Page 135 has Beginning of School Year Language Usage and 227 is 98% for Grade 4, 96% Grade 5, 83% Grade 7, and 54% Grade 11. There are also charts for Reading and Math.
    http://pickens.it.schoolfusion.us/m...ssionid=14d1e9266e4482d198ebc39c6e6bc9c3

Do you know if he took the Standard MAP or the MAP for Primary Grades (K & 1st)? Never mind, Primary MAP doesn't have Language Usage.
    Here's what I found about MAP ceiling for the standard MAP:
    http://www.nwea.org/support/details.aspx?content=532
    Scale Variance by Subject
    Why do RIT scales vary from subject to subject (e.g. the mathematics RIT scale goes higher than other subject areas)? A ceiling effect exists when an assessment does not have sufficient range to accurately measure students at the highest performance levels. It has nothing to do with the actual numbers attached to the scale and everything to do with the position of students on it. For example, in reading, the RIT scale measures with relative accuracy up to about 245. This represents the 93rd percentile at grade 10, and the 95th percentile at grade 8. If a student scores above we know that student performed high but may not be able to accurately assess how high they performed. Relative to other tests, therefore, there is very little true ceiling effect in this assessment. Even most high performing 10th graders receive a technically accurate measure of their skill.
    I saw on Dottie's link that CTY serves AK,AZ CA,CT DE,HI ME,MD MA,NH NJ,NY OR,PA RI,VT VA,WA WV,DC, but this shows it open to students in all 50 states.
    http://ctyjhu.org/tsonlineapp/introOnlineTSApp.cfm

CTY welcomes applicants from all 50 states.

CTY offers full Talent Search benefits in 19 states and DC. What does this mean? It means that CTY
    holds awards ceremonies in these states for top scoring students. Additionally, some CTY programs,
    such as our Family Academic Programs, are located nearer to students in these states.

States with full Talent Search benefits are Alaska, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii,
    Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island,
    Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia.

Students located outside these states are welcome to apply to the CTY Talent Search, especially
    if a key reason for doing so is to enroll in CTY's summer or distance online programs. Please call us at
    410-735-6277 if you have further questions about participation in your state.
    Good luck!

Last edited by inky; 10/11/09 08:15 PM. Reason: figured out the answer to my question
    F
    fangcyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Thank you everybody for your response!

Inky: Yes, I am worried about ceiling effect. Now, I know he can keep taking this test until the scores are in the 240's range. DS is a YS. He has a history of advancing a few grades in a few months, then his level will stay the same for a long time until his next "growth spurt".

Cindi

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM